PDA

View Full Version : Lessons outside of NYC?

WW_Queen
May. 9, 2010, 10:03 PM
My husband is the VP @ a company in Manhattan, and is trying to convince me to "spend more time" in the area as he is there every week. I would like to find a barn outside of the city where I can ride Weds-Fri doing 3'0 - 3'3"+ lessons on various horses.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would considering up to 2 hours outside of NYC for the right barn.

Thanks!

Seven
May. 10, 2010, 12:32 AM
You can check this thread (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252512) - I made a list for someone else of barns within about an hour of NYC and near public transportation.

A little further away and if you have a car, you'll probably love Old Salem (http://www.oldsalemfarm.net/). And if you don't there are many, many other stables in that area.

rumblepony
May. 10, 2010, 01:40 AM
There are lots of barns on LI that are easily accessible by public transportation, and would more than likely meet your needs. Here are a few I can think of:

Nassau Equestrian Center: http://nassauequestriancenter.com/
MPR Farms: http://easternequineexchange.com/FarmPkge.html
Knoll Farm: http://www.knollfarm.com/
Islandia Farms: http://www.islandia-farms.com/

Phaxxton
May. 10, 2010, 09:53 AM
At least IME on Long Island, you will be hard pressed to find a barn with multiple lesson horses available for 3'3"+. Most lesson programs have horses up to 2'6" - 2'9" and some go a little higher (but certainly not every day). You might luck out and find a place with multiple 3'3"+ horses, but I would definitely ask about that when you call to inquire.

If you can ride on consistent days and don't need to jump every day you ride, you may want to look into half leasing a horse...

Beenthere
May. 10, 2010, 10:04 AM
Contact Hamptons Equestrian Center in East Hampton. They have a website. They have the type of horses you are requesting and I know so because they came from our barn in Florida. They have a nice set up and very good trainers. They have a new trainer adding to the group in two weeks that does the A shows and does a great job teaching. Good luck with your search.

PS they also have horses for half lease too

S A McKee
May. 10, 2010, 10:15 AM
At least IME on Long Island, you will be hard pressed to find a barn with multiple lesson horses available for 3'3"+. Most lesson programs have horses up to 2'6" - 2'9" and some go a little higher (but certainly not every day). You might luck out and find a place with multiple 3'3"+ horses, but I would definitely ask about that when you call to inquire.

Rice Farms and North Shore Equestrian Center, both in Brookville and both near public transportation do have horses that meet this requirement.

theoldgreymare
May. 10, 2010, 12:45 PM
To drive or Jitney to East Hampton (or anywhere else on the East End) from NYC this time of year will take more than two hours (trust me, I lived there). What about Twin Lakes Farm in Bronxville? They are a short ride via Metro North. Not sure what schoolies they have in the 3'-3'3" range but it is worth a try.

InWhyCee Redux
May. 10, 2010, 12:53 PM
To drive or Jitney to East Hampton (or anywhere else on the East End) from NYC this time of year will take more than two hours (trust me, I lived there). What about Twin Lakes Farm in Bronxville? They are a short ride via Metro North. Not sure what schoolies they have in the 3'-3'3" range but it is worth a try.

Unless you plan to lease, they do not have schoolies at that level. IME, the adult classes are "all-level" classes and don't go above two feet.

BAC
May. 10, 2010, 02:13 PM
At least IME on Long Island, you will be hard pressed to find a barn with multiple lesson horses available for 3'3"+.

I agree with Phaxxton about the school horse sitiation on LI. And driving to the Hamptons at this time of year, the traffic is insane. :(

I would suggest the Westchester area instead.

ivy62
May. 10, 2010, 02:16 PM
Are you living in the city? There are plenty of farms but you will need your own transportation.....We are in Orange County NY and there are several farms with some nice lesson horses or maybe find a lease that would be more under your control..

NorthFaceFarm
May. 10, 2010, 02:43 PM
Rice Farms and North Shore Equestrian Center, both in Brookville and both near public transportation do have horses that meet this requirement.
Has Gerry dramatically improved the lesson program @ NSEC? There was nothing you'd *want* to jump 3'3" on in the school barn there for the 16 or so years I was around.

S A McKee
May. 10, 2010, 02:51 PM
Has Gerry dramatically improved the lesson program @ NSEC? There was nothing you'd *want* to jump 3'3" on in the school barn there for the 16 or so years I was around.

They own and their clients show farm owned AA Hunters, C/A jumpers and big Eq horses .

Seeing that Gerry isn't one of the trainers that was an odd remark.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 10, 2010, 02:56 PM
They own and their clients show farm owned AA Hunters, C/A jumpers and big Eq horses .

Seeing that Gerry isn't one of the trainers that was an odd remark.

I know what they own and show, but that's not what is in the lesson program. Or at least, never used to be. They always had great school horses, but for much lower levels.

Gerry (Chasin) owns the place.

InWhyCee Redux
May. 10, 2010, 03:12 PM
Ramapo Equestrian in Suffern, NY (Rockland County NE of the George Washington Bridge) has horses at that level, but, again, you may have to do a partial lease to get one.

PS: And remember that they don't call the Long Island Expressway the Long Island Parking Lot for nothing — and if it's a summer weekend, it's usually faster on the train. If you can ride weekdays, you'll avoid a lot of traffic. :cool:

Seven
May. 10, 2010, 05:03 PM
PS: And remember that they don't call the Long Island Expressway the Long Island Parking Lot for nothing — and if it's a summer weekend, it's usually faster on the train. If you can ride weekdays, you'll avoid a lot of traffic. :cool:

Too true. :yes: It took me nearly three hours to get out to Brookhaven/ Riverhead last week. Reverse commute, well past rush hour, mid-morning, mid week. Should have been an easy drive. Random lane closures, police activity, etc. :mad: Not even a Mets game to blame!

LI can be lovely but it's not worth the drive. Take the train if at all possible.

Phaxxton
May. 10, 2010, 05:38 PM

NSEC did not have any school horses (let alone multiple school horses) that could safely do that when I inquired about lessons last for someone last year... Perhaps things have changed, as that's not my current barn. IME, though, they never had multiple 3'+ horses on the school line. Nice school horses? Absolutely. But not multiple (or even a couple) school horses for the 3'3"+ level.

I'm sure there are plenty of horses capable of that available for lease -- but I doubt any of those horses have owners who want them doing 3'+ three days in a row by the lessee, as the OP seems to want to do.

As I said, I think the OP should ask specifically about the school horse capability and availability for that height if she is planning on riding school horses and riding multiple days per week. Most school programs do not have lesson horses above that height for a lot of reasons - most riders at that level aren't riding schoolies and the maintenance/wear and tear issues.

gardenofsimple22
May. 10, 2010, 06:10 PM
You should call Fox Ridge farm in newtown CT. its a good hour and a half from NYC but the woman who owns it has nice horses that jump big- most likely not 3 days in a row... but still...

another option you may want to look into is BUYING that 3'6" horse and sticking it at a barn you can trust and finding someone to flat the horse on your off days.

Or try

Ox Ridge Hunt Club

Old Salem Farm

ivy62
May. 10, 2010, 09:57 PM
Try Top of the Line in Pearl River New York. Just on the Jersey border. You would definitely need a car. About 45 minutes outside the city....
If you want to travel further you could try Old Field Farm in Goshen...

May. 11, 2010, 10:57 AM
If your husband is VP of a company, and REAAAALLY wants to encourage you to spend more time near Manhattan... why doesn't he buy you a nice 3'6" jumper so you can lesson wherever the heck you want and not have to worry about school horse availability? :D:p

toomanyponies
May. 11, 2010, 11:08 AM
If your husband is VP of a company, and REAAAALLY wants to encourage you to spend more time near Manhattan... why doesn't he buy you a nice 3'6" jumper so you can lesson wherever the heck you want and not have to worry about school horse availability? :D:p

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!!:):)

Lucassb
May. 11, 2010, 11:30 AM
You should call Fox Ridge farm in newtown CT. its a good hour and a half from NYC but the woman who owns it has nice horses that jump big- most likely not 3 days in a row... but still...

another option you may want to look into is BUYING that 3'6" horse and sticking it at a barn you can trust and finding someone to flat the horse on your off days.

Or try

Ox Ridge Hunt Club

Old Salem Farm

Fox Ridge is at least 2 hours from Manhattan, (and it is only about ten minutes from where I live, so I am very familiar with that drive) but even if it were five minutes away I would not recommend it. OP can PM me for reasons if desired.

Ox Ridge (Darien CT) or Old Salem (North Salem NY) would be closer, but I am not sure they offer any lesson horses that will jump 3' or higher. I would think a lease might be possible, however.

Of course the challenge with those types of barns is that the trainers tend to be away showing at the end of the week. Old Salem does host quite a few shows at home, though.

If North Salem is not too far, there are a tremendous number of choices available. It is a very horsey area. Slightly closer in there are a bunch of farms in Bedford, NY (which would save maybe 15-20 minutes of driving time each way compared to N. Salem.) I know that there is one trainer (Debbie/Phoenix H/J) at Coker Farm who has a group of adult women who come up from NYC a few times a week to take a group lesson and they always seem to have a great time.

M. O'Connor
May. 11, 2010, 11:22 PM
Contact Hamptons Equestrian Center in East Hampton. They have a website. They have the type of horses you are requesting and I know so because they came from our barn in Florida. They have a nice set up and very good trainers. They have a new trainer adding to the group in two weeks that does the A shows and does a great job teaching. Good luck with your search.

PS they also have horses for half lease too

Might be out of range of a daytrip from NYC though. EH is a good 2.5 hours out, with no traffic.

Seven
May. 11, 2010, 11:27 PM
I was just thinking of another: Hunter's Moon (http://www.huntersmoonfarm.com/). Pretty close to the city on Long Island. Frank Madden trains out of there (but might be tough to accomodate Weds-Fri with the show schedule). Lovely facility though - might be worth a look.

HUET Brunette
May. 11, 2010, 11:56 PM
I was just thinking of another: Hunter's Moon (http://www.huntersmoonfarm.com/). Pretty close to the city on Long Island. Frank Madden trains out of there (but might be tough to accomodate Weds-Fri with the show schedule). Lovely facility though - might be worth a look.

Wow. I used to ride there when it was Calumet over 10 years ago. It looks like they have completely torn down and rebuilt. Those pictures are gorgeous.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 12, 2010, 11:49 AM
I used to ride there more than ten years ago when it was Gambling, not Calumet ;) Riding on the track was a blast.

BAC
May. 12, 2010, 12:11 PM
I used to ride there more than ten years ago when it was Gambling, not Calumet ;) Riding on the track was a blast.

I thought Gamboling was the TB breeding farm next to Calumet? Which is now McMansions. :cry:

goobs
May. 12, 2010, 12:19 PM
My vote is for Hunter's Moon! It's only 28 miles from the city and the place is gorgeous with a top trainer and MILES of gorgeous trails. How could you go wrong?

BAC
May. 12, 2010, 12:21 PM
My vote is for Hunter's Moon! It's only 28 miles from the city and the place is gorgeous with a top trainer and MILES of gorgeous trails. How could you go wrong?

FYI no indoor though, if that is important to you.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 12, 2010, 12:26 PM
When my mom moved ten or so in there it was gambling...the people that came in around then changed it to calumet. When we moved back in there with Pine Hollow awhile later it was Calumet.

I guess the bubble is gone.

goobs
May. 12, 2010, 12:26 PM
Indoors aren't really important to me but if you are going to give up one thing then the indoor would be it (in my book). Looks like they are in Wellington during the winter anymore as most trainers are anyway so an indoor wouldn't make sense. It's up to the OP. Who knows maybe she'll wind up buying a horse and going to Wellington herself!

Phaxxton
May. 12, 2010, 12:30 PM
Might be out of range of a daytrip from NYC though. EH is a good 2.5 hours out, with no traffic.

And you will have lots of traffic May - October trying to get to the Hamptons from Manhattan. 3.5 hours minimum to East Hampton from Manhattan by car in the summer... and heck, most other times of the year, too. :(

BAC
May. 12, 2010, 12:37 PM
When my mom moved ten or so in there it was gambling...the people that came in around then changed it to calumet. When we moved back in there with Pine Hollow awhile later it was Calumet.

I guess the bubble is gone.

Now I remember, the TB breeding farm was Pen-Mor. And yes, the bubble is long gone. And I hear Frank Madden also has a place in the Hamptons now, in addition to Hunter's Moon.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 12, 2010, 12:40 PM
Is Jim Rice still @ the Red Barn? He is more likely to have a horse capable of the OP's requirements for a reasonable 1/2 lease.

I miss the LI scene so much :(

BAC
May. 12, 2010, 12:44 PM
Yes, Jimmy is still at Red Barn, so is Ross Kaplan.

You're not missing much on LI anymore, I would much prefer to switch places with you and be in VA. :yes:

NorthFaceFarm
May. 12, 2010, 12:51 PM
I always thought that when I lived up there. Then I got all set up down here and realized I hate the hunter/jumper world in the Mid Atlantic.

BAC
May. 12, 2010, 12:54 PM
I guess its true, the grass is always greener. :yes: I still love LI but the horse scene is just not what it used to be and its horribly expensive here too.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 12, 2010, 01:24 PM
Oh it's not expensive here. But I think show organizers are allergic to offering local one day shows that have hunters AND jumpers. I have clients that do both, and I'm constantly forced to leave one whole group at home. And they all seem to only have ONE ring. That crawls. Any regular in gate person from a LI show would have a break down if they watched how rings are run down here. I can't find any commercial shippers. There are almost no real USEF spec divisions. Even the AA shows here don't feel the same, and move at a snail's pace. BLaaaaaah.

Sorry. No more thread jacking.

smileyrileyxoxo
May. 12, 2010, 04:10 PM
You could try Zephyr Farm in Mahopac NY... its a smaller barn than Old Salem but the trainer (who is the owner) is great and has a good amount of horses (4+) that she owns herself which can do the 3 ft and up... i think its about 45 minutes from NYC.. the website is www.zephyrfarminc.com/

WW_Queen
May. 27, 2010, 10:24 PM
Looks like I have some research to do... thanks for the great leads/tips everyone!

I certainly don't need to do over 3' on a daily basis (especially since I want to focus on Eq with a lean towards the jumpers) but I'm not super excited about toodling over 2'6'-2'9" all the time. :) I need help with my coursework and finesse that position using grids and such.

We already have the place near Florida (in-laws!), and the means to get there, just need that horse right? :lol: My husband says after a baby or two, then we can talk about upgrading my current gelding. *sigh* Some men just love their babies!

ivy62
May. 27, 2010, 10:29 PM
Do you mean Florida NY?

STA
May. 28, 2010, 12:17 PM
Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!!:):)

You would be a winner if you bought your own horse, but would you jump the horse three times per week? You should check stables in New Jersey or Westchester County. Might be more miles from NYC, but will be a shorter drive time wise.

I used to live in Manhattan and drive 33 miles to my horses on Long Island - tokk between 1 1/2 to 2 hours on the week days. I moved my horses to Westchester about 50 miles away took less than 60 minutes to drive.

There are many places to take lessons in Westchester.