PDA

View Full Version : Where to find "Tall" Field Boots

hunterEQhorse
May. 9, 2010, 08:55 PM
I have extremely long legs, especially my lower leg. Custom is not an option for me at this time. Does anyone have any recommendations? Right now I wear Ariat Heritage II boots in a size 10 tall that I absolutely despise.

I would really like something with a spanish top, but it's hard to find a boot that is over 20 1/2" in height.

RolyPolyPony
May. 9, 2010, 09:14 PM
IIRC, the Mountain Horse Supremes are 20.5" in the 10 slims, if that's any help - I only know this because if they just came in an 11 in slim, they'd be the perfect calf and height for me!

I'm not sure of the height in the normal calf, but it might be worth looking into - I know everyone loves these boots!

Elementgrl2
May. 9, 2010, 09:25 PM
Try the Grand Prix Elites..

ZIL
May. 10, 2010, 01:03 AM
I have searched and never did find any off the shelf...I had to buy custom. Some people have luck on eBay; not me.

BeeHoney
May. 10, 2010, 06:18 AM
Would the DerDau contour boot from SmartPak be too expensive? They customized the height on a pair for me for something like $50 extra. I have the same problem you have--the off the rack boots are invariably too short. I've been really happy with these boots, the quality is quite nice. I tried the Grand Prix elites, b/c they do come a little taller, but the foot was uncomfortable. I've liked Grand Prix boots in the past, but from my experience in this case they were a distant second to the DerDau contours in quality, design and fit.

KnKShowmom
May. 10, 2010, 06:55 AM
Try the Ariat Crowne Pro - they have the spanish tops.

We got those for DD and were extra careful when breaking them in not to let the tops get crushed down - she wore lifts in the beginning till the ankles softened and doesn't wear them in the truck or anytime she will be sitting with her feet under her.

A bit of effort has really helped as they have stayed nice and tall.

hunterEQhorse
May. 10, 2010, 08:27 AM
Try the Ariat Crowne Pro - they have the spanish tops.

We got those for DD and were extra careful when breaking them in not to let the tops get crushed down - she wore lifts in the beginning till the ankles softened and doesn't wear them in the truck or anytime she will be sitting with her feet under her.

A bit of effort has really helped as they have stayed nice and tall.

Thank you! I was actually looking at them so maybe I will try a pair on :)

showmom858
May. 10, 2010, 11:36 AM
My D also has the Ariat Crowne Pro which are very tall and work well for her very long slender legs. She is 15 and still growing so no customs for her either!

shmon
May. 10, 2010, 12:57 PM
I have the same problem as you! Try a pair of boots with a zipper; they will keep the back of the boot a little stiffer and will lessen the drop amount. I have the Beval Puissance boots which are a 1/2 size too big so I can get the extra 1/2" of height! They're still about 1/2-1" below my knee in the back, but the Spanish tops make them look ok from the side (plus I never had to deal with cuts/blisters behind the knee!)

Also keep an eye out on Ebay. My first pair of boots were used custom Konig field boots and were 22" tall - they fit me perfectly after I got the calves stretched a bit. You may get lucky there but you have to be patient.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
May. 10, 2010, 10:05 PM
I have a similar problem... only I need a 21 tall and I wear an 8-8.5.

Try der dau semi custom.

hype
May. 11, 2010, 10:45 AM
The Ariat Monacos are very tall but they are also $900 and leather that is paper thin. Can't see it lasting very long with a lot of wear.

The Ariat Crownes are too short for my daughter even in tall. Every other boot on the market is too short, we've tried them all.

Willson & Davidson make a really nice full custom boot for $900 (all the options) and LA Mundial makes a great boot for $600 but you need to have a good person measure for you. They have a few reps which don't do a great job. La Casa Das Botas is great too and you can have someone measure you and send the measurements down to them.

You're going to spend a lot of money regardless of where you go. They just don't make that many really tall boots off the shelf.

SidesaddleRider
May. 11, 2010, 11:32 AM
I also have very long legs.

I have a pair of the Ariat Crowne Pros, and a pair of the Mountain Horse Supremes. Both have the spanish tops. Remember, the height they list is the back of the boots, not the sides, so the sides will be at least 1.5" taller than the back if you get the spanish-cut.

I personally prefer the MH boots as the leather is softer and more conforming to your leg (so more close contact) and the zipper is more heavy-duty (I have the Ariats in right now to get replacement zippers put in--can't wait to see what this will be costing me), and I have gotten more compliments on them for looks/fit than the Ariats. So I am using the Ariats as back-ups in case something happens to the MH boots.

That being said, I ONLY use them to show in, I do not wear them unless I am riding/tacking up, they always have boot trees in them, and I store them on their sides, so that there is very little drop in the ankles.

pinkme
May. 11, 2010, 12:11 PM
I too had luck with the Ariat Corwne (tall). The zipp up ones do have less drop. Ariat is also great about fixing/replacing zipers, for free. Ive only had to have them fixed once in over 10 years of wearing Ariats. I found the MH were not tall enough.

KnKShowmom
May. 11, 2010, 12:11 PM
Yes, the zippers in the Ariats can be a problem - we went with the Crowne Pros without zippers and only use them for lessons and shows so they are holding up well.

Next pair will probably have to be customs since its getting harder to find boots without zippers.

countrygal
May. 11, 2010, 03:12 PM
I usually post over on the Dressage side but I tried on a pair of new Ariat Crowne Pro Field Boots last weekend. They have a higher cut top and in the "tall" size were nearly too tall for me (I'm 6'). I ended up buying the Westchesters (dress boot) but I was tickled pink at how well the Crowne Pro fit.

Try to find a very new model of Crowne Pro. Ariat makes their boots taller than they used to...

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
May. 11, 2010, 06:57 PM
The Ariat Monacos are very tall but they are also $900 and leather that is paper thin. Can't see it lasting very long with a lot of wear.

The Ariat Monaco in a 10 tall isn't any taller than an Ariat Heritage in a 10 tall down the back, and they're only about 1.25-1.5 inches taller on the outside with the spanish top.

Ariat zippered boots are slightly shorter than pull-ons as they don't drop as much. The size is what the size is. If you don't like how one pair fits don't get another pair from the same brand.

rockfordbuckeye
May. 11, 2010, 09:50 PM
I can tell you what not to buy - I got a pair of the Ariat Bromonts for winter riding. I love them but they are way too short for a long-legged person! Super warm though!

hype
May. 12, 2010, 12:22 AM
[QUOTE=SmileItLooksGoodOnYou;4858621]The Ariat Monaco in a 10 tall isn't any taller than an Ariat Heritage in a 10 tall down the back, and they're only about 1.25-1.5 inches taller on the outside with the spanish top.

Did you try them on or just go by the Ariat sizing chart? From our experiences, the more expensive the Ariat, the taller they are. The Monacos were the tallest, then the Crowne and then the Heritage. We tried all of them on and the Monacos were definitely taller than the other two. This was a few months ago and Ariat may have revamped their boots.

We have the Crownes and they are too short but the Monacos fit just right. They are also cut a lot better for my daughter's legs, tighter in the ankles etc. They looked like customs on her but I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for Ariats. I've been really disappointed in how her Crownes held up with very little wear.