PDA

View Full Version : yet another "wide calf" field boot thread

Mayaty02
May. 9, 2010, 07:09 PM
hi all, I *may* have the opportunity to do some showing this year, first time in oh about 20 yrs. I do not want to spend a fortune on boots since I don't own a horse and I'm talking about maybe using them a handful of times. I will spend up to $300, maybe more if they're really nice boots.

Problem is my lovely leg measurements :no:

I wear a size 8 shoe in Ariats, can go up comfortably to 8.5 in some boots.
I have teeny tiny ankles
I have a 16" calf, *measured bare leg*
I measure 18" from the back of my heel to the back of my knee.

I ***hate*** boots that are too short. I see the Mountain Horse Richmond version looks like it may fit in the calf but they look really short, only right around 18" which I assume will end up quite short after a break in drop.

I also hate low quality hard as rock boots.
I have already scoured ebay for someone elses customs that might work but nothing as of right now. I will need them within a few weeks.

So - any ideas?

jewll27
May. 9, 2010, 07:12 PM
try the treadstone tall boots. They are so easy to break in, great quality, and I believe the wide/xwide will fit you!

crazyhorses
May. 9, 2010, 07:13 PM
Ok, I know this is totally, like "not allowed" in the HJ world... BUT. I love my Saxon boots. They are fake leather (don't really look it) and the wides fit me very well. I was having the hardest time finding boots. I'm tall and have big calves, but am little near my knee. The people at the store kept saying "go custom, go custom" But I said that I wanted to give the Saxon's a try. And the fit! I was so excited. My other show boots had broken that day (stupid zipper) so I was in a panic. And I didn't want to spend over 200 on a pair of field boots that didn't fit super well. So I bought these ones for 50 (they were one sale) and until they don't work any more, I'm wearing them. And then I'll get semi custom LOL

Also wanted to add, they are very comfy and soft!

Mayaty02
May. 9, 2010, 07:27 PM
try the treadstone tall boots. They are so easy to break in, great quality, and I believe the wide/xwide will fit you!

The store i was at today suggested these as well but didn't have them in stock. She suggested a size 9 (not sure how that will work)...but they are pushing $350 and the measurements look borderline to me, 16 1/8 for a 9. I am a 16 bare leg...so worried that it's not enough space for me. I know they have the elastic gusset, but how much give is there. should I do the 8.5s which are 15 3/4 plus the elastic gusset?

jewll27
May. 9, 2010, 07:33 PM
The store i was at today suggested these as well but didn't have them in stock. She suggested a size 9 (not sure how that will work)...but they are pushing $350 and the measurements look borderline to me, 16 1/8 for a 9. I am a 16 bare leg...so worried that it's not enough space for me. I know they have the elastic gusset, but how much give is there. should I do the 8.5s which are 15 3/4 plus the elastic gusset?

were they willing to order them for you? The tack shop where my barnmates got theirs, Im pretty sure they didnt pay above $300 but I cant be 100%. See if they will order you a pair of both and try them on when they come in. They are def. worth every penny!

Mayaty02
May. 9, 2010, 07:39 PM
I will ask them, she was going to talk to the owner I believe. Thanks

Any other suggestions? Do we think the MH Richmonds will be too short with my measurements?

jewll27
May. 9, 2010, 07:40 PM
also, just looking at a pic of the boot, looks like it has a small elastic panel down the back near the zipper that will provide some give for you.

http://www.treadstone-inc.com/productdetails.php?Id=22

nlk
May. 9, 2010, 08:05 PM
I have a pair of Dublins. They were about $200 ( a little less) and I have them in wide. I like them BUT I couldn't tell you my calf length...

Mayaty02
May. 9, 2010, 08:09 PM
yeah I saw that and I read that they will allow an additional .5 inch to the sizing. So I think I'll try these but need to find a good vendor when I can return them if they don't fit :)

JA
May. 9, 2010, 08:24 PM
Remember to allow for at least 1 1/2" for the boots to drop. So if you measure an 18" in height you will want a boot that is 19 1/2" in height minimum.

Mayaty02
May. 9, 2010, 08:28 PM
Remember to allow for at least 1 1/2" for the boots to drop. So if you measure an 18" in height you will want a boot that is 19 1/2" in height minimum.
That's what I thought, thanks, so the MH Richmond will not work, which is a shame because the calf looks like it would!

pooh
May. 9, 2010, 09:26 PM
try finding a size 2 boot for someone with a 14 1/2 " calf and 15 " length!!! I've ended up getting a size 3 without a zipper -- then having a zipper installed and stretching them slightly to get them on!!
So--- if you can manage to find a tall boot that doesn't have a zipper -- hard to do nowadays - and then have a zipper placed in that will give you some more calf room. I went up a size and have 2 pairs of thinker anklet socks that I wear to take up the space in the shoe part. An insole will also help with that.

Hunter Mom
May. 10, 2010, 09:19 AM
Another vote for Dublins. I have gorilla calves, and long to boot. They fit great and are normally around $160. They do come in extra tall as well as extra wide calf. I wear mine every ride and they're holding up great almost 2 years later. Very soft and comfy.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 10, 2010, 09:30 AM
Try the Richmond's before you rule them out on spec. I've had mine for 6 months and they haven't dropped much at all, and the sides are SO HIGH that even though the measurements were correct for me, the boots still look extremely tall on me. In fact, I have the size you were probably looking at. If you want to try a broken in pair, let me know lol

Mayaty02
May. 10, 2010, 09:38 AM
Try the Richmond's before you rule them out on spec. I've had mine for 6 months and they haven't dropped much at all, and the sides are SO HIGH that even though the measurements were correct for me, the boots still look extremely tall on me. In fact, I have the size you were probably looking at. If you want to try a broken in pair, let me know lol
can I borrow them for a few shows :) JK. I do think I am going to try both these and the Treadstones and compare. Thanks for the feedback!

Coreene
May. 10, 2010, 09:52 AM
As I pointed out on another thread, one of the tricks re tsll boots with zips when you have a bigger calf is to pull them on the old fashioned way. I have a pair that is too wide at the top but sill have to pull them on instead of using zippers.

kateh
May. 10, 2010, 11:46 AM
I have a pair of -gasp- Devon Aires that were just about the only things that fit me. They look pretty good too-my IHSA coach thought they cost about twice as much as they did. I was in the same situation as you-not interested in paying tons of money for max 10 IHSA shows per year.

ETA: shot of said boots (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30665001&l=9d783162dc&id=1480320118)

Mayaty02
May. 10, 2010, 11:51 AM
kateh, those look nice, which model are they?

kateh
May. 10, 2010, 12:07 PM
Mine are the Nouvelle, they come in zips and pull-on but I think the pull ons give a slimmer look. Stupid tack shop near my house is an Ariat dealer-Ariat doesn't believe my calf/foot combo exists :rolleyes:

billiebob
May. 10, 2010, 10:47 PM
I love my Treadstones. My calves are monstrous but my ankles are normal, and they're the first tall boots I've found that fit well. They've been comfortable from the first ride and this is coming from someone who HATES tall boots. I think mine were less than $250 full price. I will say the foot size runs a little big--I'm a 10 1/2 or 11 and the 10 fits pretty well. The Dublins are also quite nice for the price. I was disappointed when they didn't run wide enough for me.

Proud Preppy Pony Momma
May. 11, 2010, 12:22 AM
I feel everyone's pain in finding tall boots that fit. But to me, y'all have "normal" calves......mine at 18" bare-legged!!

This is what comes from a dual-life of competitive riding AND competitive figure skating.:eek:

jewll27
May. 11, 2010, 08:28 AM
I feel everyone's pain in finding tall boots that fit. But to me, y'all have "normal" calves......mine at 18" bare-legged!!

This is what comes from a dual-life of competitive riding AND competitive figure skating.:eek:

i have that problem BUT! the treadstones come in an xxwide that will fit an 18in calf. my only problem is the height!

vxf111
May. 11, 2010, 09:51 AM
I'll add a vote for the Devon Aire's. Are they Vogel pretty? No, they are not. But they are quite suitable, durable, and come in a decently wide calf width. I am selling a pair, actually, because I no longer need that wide of a calf. They dropped some but not a ton, and always were a titch too tall for me anyhow.

billiebob
May. 11, 2010, 02:01 PM

Oh, so are mine! Running, riding, barn work, and genetics are to blame. I've been surrounded by boxes of tall boots at Dover numerous times while trying to find a pair that fit. Another reason to love my Treadstones!

Mayaty02
May. 11, 2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback all, I am trying out some Mountain Horse Richmonds which fit great (and I didn't even have to size up at all) and are really comfortable, just not sure the height is going to be ok. Hopefully will get Miss Trainer's opinion on that tomorrow. Why are these boots so short??? So frustrating. IF they are too short, definitely going to try the Treadstones.

alteringwego
May. 12, 2010, 08:40 AM
my calf is wide but so are my ankles.
My question is: if the calf is wider on a boot, will the ankles also be wider?

Mayaty02
May. 12, 2010, 08:58 AM
I would have someone measure it for you. This particular model of MH has an elastic gusset running down both sides of the zipper. I happen to think that this makes them fit a wider variety of people, so would probably fit your ankle better. I have tiny ankles though and these fit perfectly, but again the elastic gusset gives you some extra room if/where you need it.

rugbygirl
May. 12, 2010, 11:35 AM
This is probably a huge faux-pas but I wear men's boots.

They are a little wide in the foot, but because you can snug up the laces around the ankle, I don't have any trouble. Putting in a women's insole (very light, don't want to wreck the feel) solved that problem.

I would be Ariat's idea of XXXXW calf in women's boots, but in most men's boots I am a regular or wide. They are also plenty tall enough, bordering on too tall.

I played rugby for 8 years, kickboxed and wrestled. I wasn't bird-like to begin with, and have a mesomorph body type that builds muscle quickly. Even at less than 12% body fat, I don't fit the standard women's boot sizes.

VA_Hunter_Aside
May. 12, 2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback all, I am trying out some Mountain Horse Richmonds which fit great (and I didn't even have to size up at all) and are really comfortable, just not sure the height is going to be ok. Hopefully will get Miss Trainer's opinion on that tomorrow. Why are these boots so short??? So frustrating. IF they are too short, definitely going to try the Treadstones.

I have the opposite problem with the
MH Classic High Rider dress boots in size 8 wide calf. Mine are too tall even though they have dropped. I have a 15 1/2" calf width but only a 15" calf height! I'm short an' curvy. :winkgrin: The MH's were the ONLY boots that fit at all so I was stuck with them being too tall. I'm a little thinner than I was when I bought them so I could probably find some that fit better now but I'm not going to shell out the $$$

Mayaty02
May. 12, 2010, 04:15 PM
I have the opposite problem with the
MH Classic High Rider dress boots in size 8 wide calf. Mine are too tall even though they have dropped. I have a 15 1/2" calf width but only a 15" calf height! I'm short an' curvy. :winkgrin: The MH's were the ONLY boots that fit at all so I was stuck with them being too tall. I'm a little thinner than I was when I bought them so I could probably find some that fit better now but I'm not going to shell out the $$$

LOL I guess they should make a wide in a short and tall option! :) Miss Trainer has given the no go to these boots, they're easily 2 inches too short. My calf length measurement is 18 inches, so oh well. Trying the Treadstones next which are 2 inches taller, but hopefully will fit the calf ok.

vxf111
May. 12, 2010, 07:51 PM
LOL I guess they should make a wide in a short and tall option! :) Miss Trainer has given the no go to these boots, they're easily 2 inches too short. My calf length measurement is 18 inches, so oh well. Trying the Treadstones next which are 2 inches taller, but hopefully will fit the calf ok.

The pricier MH boots do come in tall/regular/short heights, I believe.

alteringwego
May. 12, 2010, 08:00 PM
mayaty: the supremes don't have elastic down the gusset. You must be talking about the cheaper ones? I had considered Der Dau's for that reason but preferred the look of the MH Supremes.

Mayaty02
May. 12, 2010, 08:23 PM
The pricier MH boots do come in tall/regular/short heights, I believe.

yes but they are not nearly as "wide" as this model. So there is no good combination of wide/short, wide/tall etc.

Mayaty02
May. 12, 2010, 08:24 PM
mayaty: the supremes don't have elastic down the gusset. You must be talking about the cheaper ones? I had considered Der Dau's for that reason but preferred the look of the MH Supremes.

Yes I am talking about the MH Richmond...the Supremes don't even consider fitting me.

vxf111
May. 12, 2010, 09:03 PM
yes but they are not nearly as "wide" as this model. So there is no good combination of wide/short, wide/tall etc.

Even though they have the elastic gullet and the pair you tried do not? Don't overestimate that! I have MH boots and the elastic gives more than an inch.

Mayaty02
May. 13, 2010, 06:34 AM
Even though they have the elastic gullet and the pair you tried do not? Don't overestimate that! I have MH boots and the elastic gives more than an inch.

I tried a 8 wide in the Mountain Horse Supremes and it did not even consider going on. The 8 wide in the Mountain Horse Richmonds fit perfectly, however the length is way too short.

I have ordered the Treadstone French Calf boots from Equus Now in an 8 and a 9 xwide, hoping one of them will work. The height is almost 2 inches taller, which is definitely what I need. Crossing fingers that one of them works!

vxf111
May. 13, 2010, 08:12 AM
I tried a 8 wide in the Mountain Horse Supremes and it did not even consider going on. The 8 wide in the Mountain Horse Richmonds fit perfectly, however the length is way too short.

I have ordered the Treadstone French Calf boots from Equus Now in an 8 and a 9 xwide, hoping one of them will work. The height is almost 2 inches taller, which is definitely what I need. Crossing fingers that one of them works!

Oh bummer. I love my MH boots (I have a discontinued model, I think the "High Caliber"?) Report back on the Treadstone, those are intruiging!

Trakehner
May. 13, 2010, 08:24 AM
Have another suggestions for you: Dehner's Patrol Boots.

These are made by Dehner and geared towards mounted police and motorcycle police. Leather foot with elk lining for the foot and ankle...instant comfort. Don't forget, these boots are worn all day long 5 days a week, they've got to be comfortable.

You can get them with 1" wider calves for no additional cost. This website has them for $399 vs. $589 in the riding stores. I just bought a pair of the field boots in black this past Monday...I got em' through Horse Country Saddlery in Warrenton VA and they honoured the $399 price.

Nice boots, they have all sorts of foot widths and can accomodate a lot of different foot/calf needs (and they will customize these boots too!)...at a great price for an American-made boot.

Here's their website: http://www.boot.com/bdstock.htm#StockSizeChart

alteringwego
May. 14, 2010, 10:06 AM
well I ordered the Treadstone Grand Torino's this morning! I'll report back!

Mayaty02
May. 14, 2010, 12:05 PM
well I ordered the Treadstone Grand Torino's this morning! I'll report back!

I just got mine today and unfortunately they do not fit...they run very slim through the ankle, which is normally fine, but I could not get them past the lower part of my leg. i think the calf would have fit. I LOVE the leather and the look of them though. I wish they would fit. Anyway I can tailor these? :)

alteringwego
May. 14, 2010, 05:45 PM
again, that's what I'm worried about too Mayaty02. Hopeful though with the elastic panel that they'll fit. I got the wide calf rather than the xxwide because of my measurements. Hoping that the ankles will be ok too (wishful in NC!!!)

Mayaty02
May. 14, 2010, 06:42 PM
again, that's what I'm worried about too Mayaty02. Hopeful though with the elastic panel that they'll fit. I got the wide calf rather than the xxwide because of my measurements. Hoping that the ankles will be ok too (wishful in NC!!!)
They are very slim through the ankle, and I have slim ankles. I am taking them to see if there's anything i can do to get them to fit because I really like them. The MH Richmonds definitely woudl fit better through the ankle, have you tried them?

TheJenners
May. 14, 2010, 10:45 PM
I have small feet, size 5.5 in most shoes, 6.5 for my running shoes, and tried getting MH boots in a 7 with the wide calf, hoping to make it work. Wore them twice and realized that it wouldn't...booo. eBay I guess, but maybe I can sell them and try some of the (awesome!) suggestions here! :yes:

alteringwego
May. 15, 2010, 09:10 AM
no, I didn't like the giant swagger tab of the Richmonds. :-( I wish I could have all the brands and try them on!