PDA

View Full Version : Need a good crop recommendation

Saddith
May. 9, 2010, 02:29 PM
This is what I am looking for: a good solid crop. Something that will last awhile. I have been buying the cheaper crops and none last more than a year - and it's not because I am beating my horse. =) It's because they are cheap. I have no idea who makes a nice, solid crop anymore.

I don't mind if it isn't leather covered completely. In fact the best crop I had was all rubber, kind of like a jockeys whip type. But even that started cracking just from age after two years. Are crops meant to have a year or two lifespan nowadays?

I like a longer crop, not a short jumping bat, in the 25 inch range. But not as long as a dressage whip. And has a larger popper on the end. Oh, and a wrist strap, since I ride trails frequently and tend to drop them periodically at the worst possible spots.

Please help with crop recommendations! Thanks in advance.

ExJumper
May. 9, 2010, 05:22 PM
I was 100% with you until you got to the wrist strap part :cool: You don't see wrist straps in the show ring and all the nicer sticks I've seen are show appropriate.

I was going to recommend the SmartPak crop. It's beautiful and I got it laser engraved with my initials -- which is great because crops are ALWAYS getting misplaced and mixed up at my barn!

ktm2007
May. 9, 2010, 05:30 PM
Beval makes very nice ones. I have two from them that have lasted me years, one that I always use when I ride, the other is just for shows. Good quality, sturdy, and pretty! Check them out

SquareOxer
May. 9, 2010, 05:53 PM
one of the majikal sparkly ones!

Sorry, I couldn't help it :)

I second the beval ones. They seem to survive anything!

Hunter Mom
May. 9, 2010, 07:11 PM
Another vote for Beval crops. No wrist loops, though.

This is my favorite (http://www.beval.com/Products/18-Bat-w-Rubber-Handle/2011001.aspx) - easy to handle even though I have tiny hands. I use it at shows, but have a fun hand bat (cheap!) for home when I need it.

Lucassb
May. 9, 2010, 07:41 PM
I like the ones with the golf grips. Beval makes a really nice one but it doesn't seem to be on their site.

However, I don't care for the real poppers... have never seen one on a show appropriate stick. Most of mine end like this one: http://www.beval.com/Products/23-Beval-Leather-Plaited-Crop/1004005.aspx

RockinHorse
May. 9, 2010, 07:45 PM
My favorite is The Bullion Whip made in England. I don't know where to get them anymore so I guard mine very carefully ;)

BeeHoney
May. 9, 2010, 11:33 PM
Fleck. I think they make a crop with a wrist strap.

LARGEBORE
May. 10, 2010, 09:55 AM
County Whips from England hold up really well and are not too expensive.

KayPink
May. 10, 2010, 11:33 AM
I was going to recommend the SmartPak crop. It's beautiful and I got it laser engraved with my initials -- which is great because crops are ALWAYS getting misplaced and mixed up at my barn!

Did SmartPak engrave it or did you take it somewhere else to be engraved? That's such a great idea! I'd really like to do that since my last, really nice Pessoa crop "walked away" in the barn...

rwh
May. 10, 2010, 11:47 AM
Perhaps off topic, but what is the name of the place that makes the really nice custom jumper bats?

SkipChange
May. 10, 2010, 12:20 PM
I bought this crop from SmartPak in 21"
http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=2149
And had it Laser engraved. The engraving is a little hard to read but I like it. It runs vertically on the flapper. I had my horse's show name done, benefit of short name :)

Haven't really used it yet (saving it for shows)...but the grip is...a velvet like material? Random? Wondering how that will hold up...but it seems like a great combo for good grip with the Roeckl gloves :lol:

ADD526
May. 10, 2010, 12:33 PM
i love my beval crop! they have different lengths you can choose from. they are very durable..

theoldgreymare
May. 10, 2010, 12:35 PM
What about the German company Fleck? They do have longer sticks (although I have not seen a wrist strap). Kiddo uses the bats and they are virtually indestructable.

The best stick I ever got was from Abercrombie and Fitch about 30 years ago (before they became an urban cool clothing company). Still have it and kiddo uses it for schooling.

MintHillFarm
May. 10, 2010, 05:00 PM
Beval makes very nice ones. I have two from them that have lasted me years, one that I always use when I ride, the other is just for shows. Good quality, sturdy, and pretty! Check them out

Yes! I was about to write the same. I have several in different lengths - they look great and last...

ExJumper
May. 10, 2010, 05:02 PM
Did SmartPak engrave it or did you take it somewhere else to be engraved? That's such a great idea! I'd really like to do that since my last, really nice Pessoa crop "walked away" in the barn...

SmartPak did it for me. For free, too, because I have a Barn Buddies account with some other ladies at my barn.

I love SmartPak!

touchstone-
May. 10, 2010, 05:20 PM
I have the opposite approach. I figure my stick is so likely to break or walk away that I just buy a supply of cheap, passable crops, and replace as needed. You could probably by several sticks that meet your criteria for a fraction of the cost of a really good Beval or Fleck bat. Just a thought.

SkipChange
May. 10, 2010, 09:19 PM
I have the opposite approach. I figure my stick is so likely to break or walk away that I just buy a supply of cheap, passable crops, and replace as needed. You could probably by several sticks that meet your criteria for a fraction of the cost of a really good Beval or Fleck bat. Just a thought.

This is totally silly but I get attached to particular crops, so I would rather keep 1 that just keep replacing them. I have a "lucky" crop. Very first crop that I got for my 1st horse about 9 years ago...its not even a nice one its one of those cheap ones and the nylon wrapping is held on with duct tape. I hate to show with it now because it looks pitiful (so I bought that nice new one) but I love it dearly. I wonder if I could re-wrap it with something, hmmm....

kookicat
May. 11, 2010, 02:27 PM
This is totally silly but I get attached to particular crops, so I would rather keep 1 that just keep replacing them. I have a "lucky" crop. Very first crop that I got for my 1st horse about 9 years ago...its not even a nice one its one of those cheap ones and the nylon wrapping is held on with duct tape. I hate to show with it now because it looks pitiful (so I bought that nice new one) but I love it dearly. I wonder if I could re-wrap it with something, hmmm....

How about wrapping it with something like this? (http://demonxtreme.com/product.php?xProd=297)

tarheelmd07
May. 12, 2010, 10:22 AM
to the OP - since you're looking for a longer whip and you liked the jockey style one in the past, what about getting a jockey whip? I wouldn't carry it in the hunter ring, obviously, but they're great for schooling at home.

Bit of Britain makes nice jockey whips in solid colors
http://www.bitofbritain.com/Custom_Jockey_Whips_Solid_Color_p/0200%20(b).htm
or will do them in custom color combinations for you
http://www.bitofbritain.com/Custom_Jockey_Whips_Two_Color_p/0200.htm
I use mine in the jumper ring...and out eventing...and I love it! I've had mine for 4+ years, carry it on an almost daily basis (in all kinds of aweful weather) and it's held up very well. I love the grip...and I hate it when I have to carry my little bat in the hunter ring :)

I think BoB makes one without the little "fringes" on it...though, having OTTBs, I like the little fringes...since I can just brush the horse with the whip and get a response without having to pop them with it!