PDA

View Full Version : Trainers, Attire, Jumpers

indygirl2560
May. 9, 2010, 12:38 PM
I went to a show yesterday to take pictures and cheer on my barn mates and I asked my friend why everyone from our barn was showing in full hunter/eq attire(tan breeches, white shirt, and hunt coat) for the jumpers. She told me that our trainer(I'm new to the barn so I don't know the trainer very well other than to not cross her!) requires everyone to show like that for jumpers. My friend said if I showed up in a neat polo or even just my ratcatcher, the trainer would kill me! :eek: At my old barn, I could show jumpers in whatever I wanted as long as it looked neat and professional(ie nice polo, or nice show shirt), so this was kind of surprising to me.

Does anyone else have a trainer that requires "formal attire" for jumpers?

gumshoe
May. 9, 2010, 12:55 PM
Yes, for everyone. Hunters and jumpers must be braided to an acceptable standard, jumper riders must wear proper show attire. No half pads on hunters or crazy colored shirts. Conservative and traditional all the way. Everyone is also encouraged to wear their jacket even if jackets are excused. Leave it off til you go in the ring, take it off when you come out.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
May. 9, 2010, 01:20 PM
Absolutely not! Then again when it 110* in the shade and humid it's heat stroke waiting to happen.

When we show indoors or it's not so hot I wear a jacket. When it's hot I just wear my show shirt (coolmax beats any kind of polo even with long sleeves).

My trainer just requires us to be neat, not conservative. She doesn't care if we ride hot pink pads with a matching polo and ear bonnet. She would make fun of us though!

I've never heard of requiring that jumpers be braided! at $50+ a day it's not worth it. The only time I go braided in the jumpers is when my horse is already braided for the eq or hunters. (I'm blessed with a horse that can jump the reg workings, the talent search or and AA or AO jumpers and be pretty good. Even though he's not an outstanding hunter it's fun.)

I think encouraging jumpers to wear shirts and jackets is awesome. But Requiring white and navy is too much for me. There's so many options... greys, browns, black, greens, blues... I can see not linking really light jackets, but all of the above can look great with the right shirt and the right horse, I don't see limiting riders to one color.

Tap2Tango
May. 9, 2010, 01:22 PM
The only time I wear a polo in the jumpers is if its a schooling class (like clear round) in the middle of the week. If it's a division class a jacket is a must IMO. It just creates a better overall picture.

SquareOxer
May. 9, 2010, 01:44 PM
That's ridiculous! Was it a local show?
IMO if you are showing in Child/AA or lower, jackets are only necessary for large shows or the "fancier" rings, and full formal attire (white britches, etc) is only required for classics.

I get requiring jackets if they show in the the Jr/AO, but requiring braiding on an otherwise neatly turned out mount seems a bit much.

My trainer has never even mentioned a dress code- it's understood that students will dress appropriately (nice, conservative polo will suffice for local shows in the jumper ring).

AliCat
May. 9, 2010, 02:21 PM
My barn wants everyone to show in jackets, regardless of division. They also frown upon bright colored saddle pads or wraps in the jumpers.

I see no problem with wearing traditional show attire at a horse show.

kellyb
May. 9, 2010, 02:24 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with it (aside from the super, super hot days). I would do it myself at anything but a small schooling show.

findeight
May. 9, 2010, 02:29 PM
I don't get the braiding if it's just doing Jumpers.

Other then that? It is her barn and her business so she may require what she pleases. If she gets results? Nobody minds that much. If not? They will leave anyway when they get sick of losing.

I have some concern with the "afraid to cross her" comment. One should respect one's trainer, not be scared of them.

x
May. 9, 2010, 04:59 PM
If she is requiring braiding and requiring that the rider do the braiding themselves, maybe it is to teach them how to braid??

crazyhorses
May. 9, 2010, 05:01 PM
I don't think my trainer really cares. But I always show with a nice show shirt (w/collar), tucked in, belt, show boots, and tan breeches. That's kind of what everyone else shows in at my barn.

Now braiding... that's another thing. I need that mane sometime!! LOL No one around here braids for the jumpers, even at HITS (well ok, maybe not "no one", but I haven't seen any braided). And at the local shows... well... I've seen braids... But not like real braids. Just braided. It was odd. At least they tried heh

indygirl2560
May. 9, 2010, 05:29 PM
That's ridiculous! Was it a local show?
Yes, it was a one-day local show(although there ended up being over 100 riders!).

I think a the look of a neat shirt and jacket look nice, and I'd much rather see that than a color matched frenzy(ie hot pink polo, pad, ear net, wraps, etc--which I've actually seen at a local show :eek:), but I was surprised when my friend said it was required by the trainer.

Lucassb
May. 9, 2010, 05:39 PM
I love your trainer ;)

You know, if it's midweek and a levels class, fine, wear your (neat colored, conservative) polo.

But I was raised that showing was, well, SHOWING. Which meant a ratcathcher and a jacket (and makes lovely pictures, which is what showing is all about, no?)

I think professionals who insist on traditional turnout are terrific, and always sort of think they must do other old school things well (like caring for the horses, developing them properly, avoiding gadgets, etc.) It is a BIG plus to me.

I show mostly in the eq these days, so I have a whole collection of coats in various shades of navy, LOL. Windowpanes, pin stripes, piped collars, you name it. Also have a whole bunch of pretty hunter coats that I seldom get to wear, but if I showed in the jumpers? I'd be there with my color buttoned up, jacket on, and looking like we were walking into the ring at the Invitational. I like dressing for the party. :)

Horseymama
May. 9, 2010, 07:46 PM
My coach is very conservative, from the old school and absolutely requires that I wear a hunt coat in the ring for the jumpers. It doesn't matter if it's the grand prix or a baby jumper class. I only show rated shows with him so I don't know how he would feel about a schooling show. He also requires beige breeches, white saddle pad, leather jumping boots and yes, he appreciates if the horse is braided, although it doesn't have to be hunter braids. He also doesn't go for black stirrups or colored reins of any kind. Spurs and a whip, hair neatly put up, ratcatcher buttoned. If it is hot out, I will ask him if I may school without my hunt coat and put it on before I go in the ring.

He gives me expert help and I feel very lucky to be able to ride with him so I do not mind a bit!

Wizard of Oz's
May. 9, 2010, 10:57 PM
My trainer does and I'm glad. I agree with whoever else said that showing is SHOWING. I don't think the heat/humidity gets much worse than in Texas and I show in a jacket every time I show. IMO, it's professional looking, and you want to represent your barn well. We don't braid and are an all jumper(no hunter/eq) barn, but I don't think that's bad. Though if it were up to me we would all be braided :cool:

Sebastian
May. 9, 2010, 11:36 PM
When I trained and rode on the A-circuit, we were expected to "dress" for jumpers. I never had a problem with it. Made for better pictures. :winkgrin:

And, actually, Eventers dress for show jumping...just so ya know... :eek:

But, I have been known to wear a polo shirt at the local level.

Seb :)

touchstone-
May. 10, 2010, 11:55 AM
I had one trainer who insisted on full dress for all classes.

These days, I'm with someone more relaxed, but I still dress up unless it's absurdly hot out. Otherwise, I'd never get a chance to wear all my fancy show clothes.

*jumper*
May. 10, 2010, 09:21 PM
I usually wear a polo (usually white or a barn color...I'm not a fan of those loud colored monstrosities) the first day or two and wear my ratcatcher and coat Fri, Sat, Sunday. Of course, I just got a new hunt coat and have been dying to wear it, so unless it's beastly hot at the next show, I'll probably sport it all week :)

DancingQueen
May. 10, 2010, 10:04 PM
I'll go either way on that. Students can wear a full outfit if they want or go with the flow and wear a poloshirt. They are not however allowed to wear anything outrageous and will not ever get in the ring with hotpink matching saddleblanket and polos!:no:

For myself I'll normally just wear a poloshirt but if I need good pics or a video I'll wear my coat.

Sometimes I'll wear it anyways just becasue I spent a lot of money on it and it's nice to get some of it back!:yes:

I'm moving to Europe this summer and over there we always show in full outfit and white breeches. If it's raining we are usually allowed to wear a raincoat and if it's ridiculously hot we will sometimes be allowed to leave the coat.
They (at least used to) sell little bibs that would mimic the look of a showshirt but just strap around your neck so we could wear a t-shirt or even tanktop under our coats if we wanted to. If it was hot enough to show sans coat though we had to wear a real showshirt but it could be shortsleeved.

I think seeing all the whites will take some getting used to again, tan just seems like a much more sensible option. Outside of that I kind of look forward to get some good wear of my coats again.

asterix
May. 10, 2010, 10:21 PM
Actually, not to disappoint, but formal attire is no longer required for eveners at events running all three phases on one day.. we can do both dressage and sj in polos. Here in the midatlantic we've also seen a trend of running our xc phase right after our sj, so folks will wear xc gear (typically a polo, sometimes a xc vest) for sj as they are going directly to the start box.

I love this trend as it allows us to dress like athletes.

toomanyponies
May. 11, 2010, 10:02 AM
I love your trainer ;)

You know, if it's midweek and a levels class, fine, wear your (neat colored, conservative) polo.

But I was raised that showing was, well, SHOWING. Which meant a ratcathcher and a jacket (and makes lovely pictures, which is what showing is all about, no?)

I think professionals who insist on traditional turnout are terrific, and always sort of think they must do other old school things well (like caring for the horses, developing them properly, avoiding gadgets, etc.) It is a BIG plus to me.

I show mostly in the eq these days, so I have a whole collection of coats in various shades of navy, LOL. Windowpanes, pin stripes, piped collars, you name it. Also have a whole bunch of pretty hunter coats that I seldom get to wear, but if I showed in the jumpers? I'd be there with my color buttoned up, jacket on, and looking like we were walking into the ring at the Invitational. I like dressing for the party. :)

Exactly. Look like you're in it to win it.

eclipse
May. 11, 2010, 10:24 AM
For my trainer, we are absolutely NOT allowed to show up with wild, whacky, neon or animal print saddle pads etc!! :eek: Or anything that is best left to the pony jumpers!! LOL For us, we are allowed to wear either our barn polos or a solid colour (white, navy, black etc) polo shirt if permitted for week day classes only. Weekends or if the class specifically states it, then we wear our jackets and never-ever go in without our rat-catchers if we do wear our jackets! (I personally hate the look of jacket with open collar anyway!).

My trainer also prefers if we braid, but these are jumper braids not the traditional hunter braids so they are super easy to do yourself as they are done with the white elastics and look lovely in the jumper ring. They only take about 20 mins to put in and you take them out in about 2 mins on your way back to the barn after your classes!! The riding master at Spruce Meadows is always fond of saying to my trainer (in his German accent) "this is not a Mickey Mouse Operation you run" so we like give that apperrance of neat, immaculate turnout for her!! LOL

Giddy-up
May. 11, 2010, 10:36 AM
OP--since you are new at the barn & with this trainer, now would probably be a good time to ask some questions about show turnout & such so you aren't left at the last minute with the wrong items or wondering what to do. :)

For the most part, I dress for the jumper classes. Unless it's a schooling type class on a weekday & I'll wear a conservative tucked in polo shirt. My horse wears the same "outfit" everytime.

indygirl2560
May. 11, 2010, 11:32 AM
OP--since you are new at the barn & with this trainer, now would probably be a good time to ask some questions about show turnout & such so you aren't left at the last minute with the wrong items or wondering what to do. :)
That's a good idea but my friend(who rides at my barn with the trainer, and shows jumpers and eq. under her), filled me in on the do's and don't's of showing with this trainer! Luckily, I don't need to go out and buy anything!

kellidahorsegirl
May. 11, 2010, 01:09 PM
I don't see anything wrong with requiring FULL dress for horse and rider, no matter what the class.

The barn I grew up at in Northern California required us to have full dress and braids at just our 'barn' shows...very low level schooling shows. It was all a part of learning how shows work and keeping tradition alive.

Anymore, it seems as if shows just aren't as important as they used to be. I'll even admit that I show in a polo (I'm a jumper). I always have the nice breeches and boots and hair up, etc.....but either light blue, white or a red polo depending which of my horses I'm riding. Saddle pads are white or navy though......and even more recently I only want white with some nice piping or something subtle. Black open fronts.

I am openly soooo excited about shows this summer where I'll finally be doing A's and doing the weekend jumper classes...aka: I get to wear my full dress! haha

And also, its the trainer's barn, trainer's rules. They want to instill the tradition, as well as presenting his/her barn as being neat, tidy and ready to work. I still see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Marcella
May. 11, 2010, 11:54 PM
I showed jumpers in my show shirt and jacket. For the bigger classes I would braid.

When showing, you are representing your trainer, so I don't blame him/her for wanting the students to look the very best. It sets forth a very professional attitude which can definitely speak volumes about his/her business, which is their bread and butter. If I was trainer 'shopping' this would stand out as a definite plus. This person expects the best, and even if they don't win everything for whatever reason, they certainly look good and like they put forth the effort.