PDA

View Full Version : Help! Questions about Lead Line Classes

GoodAsGold
May. 9, 2010, 12:36 PM
I have a 4 year old niece that comes and rides my big TB every once in a while, and I was thinking she could show in lead line at a schooling show I'll be riding in on Saturday.

I had a couple of questions though. What does the judge usually ask for in a lead line class? Do they just walk around or should they be able to trot?

Also, what clothing is appropriate? I'm sure her parents aren't going to go out and buy her breeches, but she's got boots. It's a really informal show, I'll just be wearing boots, breeches, and a polo shirt, even for my hunter classes.

And do judges usually judge? Like, heels down, back straight, eyes up? Or is it just basically how cute the kid is? :)

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

SquareOxer
May. 9, 2010, 01:53 PM
I believe there is walking on the lead, then walking off the lead, and there might be trotting with a lead. There is also normally a part where the judge goes up to each rider and asks them basic questions about parts of the horse, tack, their horse's name, etc.

They do judge on basic position, but I gotta believe cuteness plays a role ;)
So long as she and horsey are turned out nicely, it doesn't sound like informal attire should be an issue.
Have fun, sounds like you have a darling TB.

make x it x so
May. 9, 2010, 02:15 PM
Being an unrated division even at USEF shows, your best bet is to read the specifications in the prize list for the show you're going to.

Hunter Mom
May. 9, 2010, 03:09 PM
Around our area, most leadline classs aren't truly judged. We almost always have a ___ way tie for first. Amazing how that works! Anyhow, I know that isn't the case in some areas, especially at bigger shows. At our local shows, as long as they're in a helmet it's ok. At the rated, kids wear anything from full hunter attire to khakis and a sweater or polo.

x
May. 9, 2010, 04:56 PM
In my area leadline classes are walk-trot, and the rider is judged.

HenryisBlaisin'
May. 9, 2010, 05:02 PM
Around here in the local shows (I don't show rated), they just walk, and everyone gets a blue for something like biggest smile, handsomest rider, best heels-down etc. If it's a schooling show, it's less likely to be formally judged.

maudie
May. 9, 2010, 06:26 PM
I was a beast in Lead-Line... I won every class, except for one where I got a second.

I had a little boy's first communion jacket, little jods, and a little rat catcher. I think my mom got them from Salvation Army and Dover. I imagine Khakis would pass for jods if they don't want to buy them

In my area, lead line is normally won by the kid who is sitting up straight and looking straight ahead. I was looking at a pic of little me the other day, I have a death stare and the kid behind me was picking his nose. :lol:. I think I remember one show where I had to trot, but most of the time it was just sit there and look cute.

RockinHorse
May. 9, 2010, 06:38 PM
Do check the show specs. I am aware of at lease two local show associations/series that restrict lead line to children mounted on ponies so your TB might not work.

GoodAsGold
May. 9, 2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks for all your help! It's a super small show put on by my barn, so I don't think there are specific regulations, but I'll just ask my trainer and see what she says about the class.

I just wanted to check with y'all and see what I was getting myself into first.

It would be a shame if she were disqualified just because she was on a TB instead of a pony. Personally, I think she should get MORE credit for that!

RockinHorse
May. 9, 2010, 06:48 PM
Don't forget the most important part of the leadline class...have plenty of photographers on hand ;). And of course don't forget to come back and post them!

llsc
May. 9, 2010, 07:10 PM
Both of my daughters started very young, so they did leadline. Every show is different on their specs. Some walk only, some walk trot, some also offer off lead. Every show I've ever done has been judged and suitability counted according to the prizelist. When my kids were too young to trot, I just informed the judge that they would not be trotting and we were pinned accordingly.

For an in barn schooling show, you could certainly get away with more informal clothes. Try to find some tan leggings, a cute polo shirt and with the boots she already has, you'll be set. If you put an ear bonnet on your horse, she will look like she's showing in the jumpers, which is very cute. Make sure you have a properly fitting helmet, especially if she's up on a big horse. It's a long way down.