PDA

View Full Version : Bit dilemma

Mali
May. 9, 2010, 10:53 AM
So my OTTB goes great in the Happy Mouth King Dee jointed snaffle. Problem is, he likes to chew on it! His teeth have been done with bit seats and it's not an aggression or discomfort chew, but more of a "pick it up every now and then and just mouth it for a few seconds" chew. First ride in his brand new $50 Happy Mouth yesterday = chew marks. He doesn't go as nicely in an all metal bit, but I certainly can't afford to buy him a new bit on a monthly basis! Would a plain black rubber snaffle be a little more difficult to chew than the HM?
What about wrapping an all metal bit with latex bit tape? Wouuld either of those be a better option than the HM? Should I give up and just ride him in an all metal bit and let him figure it out for himself?
He's great otherwise - no need for matingales or any other gadgets. Each ride is pretty much the same, no erratic mood swings or anything.

PugetSounder
May. 9, 2010, 10:56 AM
Happy Mouths almost always get chewed on, and that's just part of the deal. If you have a metal D, go ahead and wrap it in latex to give it a try. Rubber might be an option too. If he likes the HM best, stick with it. It'll get chewed up and you'll have to replace it every now and then, but don't worry about chew marks - it's what one expects with a HM.

Lucassb
May. 9, 2010, 11:17 AM
I had one that was very similar. Once in a while, I'd take my dremel to it and smooth down the chew marks when they seemed to get sharp or uncomfortable. Other than that I didn't worry about it!

Mali
May. 9, 2010, 11:42 AM
I had one that was very similar. Once in a while, I'd take my dremel to it and smooth down the chew marks when they seemed to get sharp or uncomfortable. Other than that I didn't worry about it!

That's a super idea! Now I guess I have to dig thru the barn trash to find my recently deceased bit ;)

Come Shine
May. 9, 2010, 11:50 AM
My mare does the same thing. I file down the edges and then spring for a new bit when it gets particularly ratty. I found the black rubber worse for wear. Keep an eye on when they go on sale and stock up. I figure it's like putting new shoes on. Just the cost of keeping the horse. :)

mypaintwattie
May. 9, 2010, 07:12 PM
Schneiders Tack has HM knock-off bits- I picked up a loose ring mullen mouth there for about $12 on sale- and it has held up well so far. Might be an option...

BeeHoney
May. 10, 2010, 06:25 AM
Some of the TBs have little mouths and I have had very good luck with the curved JP bits, esp. the D-ring snaffle. I only mention this b/c I also use and like the happy mouth, and the same horses that like the happy mouth seem to go well in the JP bits.