PDA

View Full Version : best place to find used kids saddles (online or NoVA area)

Mayaty02
May. 9, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hi all, I know all the sites for adult saddles but most don't have much inventory in the smaller sizes. Any ideas? I'm watching some things on ebay but wanted to see what other sites or stores you can recommend.

Proud Preppy Pony Momma
May. 9, 2010, 10:08 AM
LOL....I'm watching/asking right along with you, Mayaty02, but I'm one county over (Fairfax)!!
I apparently made a grievous error in buying a saddle for my daughter (who knew you couldn't use an A/P in the Hunter ring?!:eek::eek:) and now am out a chunk of money.
Hopefully, should we end up on the same auction, we don't get into a bidding war!!:lol:
What size are you looking for?
Check virginiaequestrian.com.....they've got some good stuff frequently. And there's always Middleburg Tack Exchange (their website is updated almost daily, but you can call and they'll let you know what they have). Also check with Saddlery Liquidators in Haymarket (66W - 15W, away from Aldie, just past the Sheetz, on the left). But they are hit and miss for used......
Good luck in your search....wish me luck in mine!!:rolleyes:

alittlegray
May. 9, 2010, 10:52 AM
What size are y'all looking for? I'm trying to find something with a long flap, as my dd has incredibly long legs.

PugetSounder
May. 9, 2010, 10:54 AM
Bucks County Saddlery website. Fabulous selection, knowledgeable folks, really quick and honest shipping. Honest shipping as in, the saddle I bought was tiny so the shipping cost was cut way back - a really nice gesture. Call them if you know what you want, they'll rummage around and call you back. They're so good at calling back that I got a second call to be sure that I'd been called. Thorough, nice, and the saddle is just as it was advertised (a little 14" cc).

Proud Preppy Pony Momma
May. 9, 2010, 11:19 AM
PugetSounder, I'm SO jealous!! You found EXACTLY what I need for my daughter!! :sigh:

I'll check them out, and hopefully they'll have another one in my price/quality range!! :D

Mayaty02
May. 9, 2010, 12:41 PM
yeah sounds like Proud pretty pony momma and I are looking for the same saddle :) I am also looking for a 14 - 15" (short flap) depending on how they run. My daughter is probably a 14.5" but not sure. Thanks for the tips!

KPF
May. 9, 2010, 10:01 PM
Mayaty, call Changing Reins in Ashland, VA (consignment store)-- they may have something. The Complete Horse in Goochland also has a bunch of consignment saddles, not sure about kid's sizes, but may be worth a call.

PugetSounder
May. 10, 2010, 01:49 AM
When I knew what I wanted I spent a couple of hours searching the web and deciding what brands/models I wanted. It's a school saddle for my littlest students. After figuring out a few brands that are decent quality and medium priced, I did web searches after web searches and found quite a few online used saddle sites and several Craigs List ads around the US. I drove myself batty for a few days before finding what I wanted, but it was really pretty efficient. There are three 14" cc's on Buck's County's website... just in case they're anything anyone looking for!

Everythingbutwings
May. 10, 2010, 06:55 AM
Call Changeing Reins before making the drive. They don't have much and, although it was a rainy day when we went so we had nothing better to do, the best thing about our trip was the used book store nearby.

MTE gets new stuff frequently but you do have to either check the website or go there to check in person.

On the plus side, once you do find what you want, you can check ebay and other on-line sources to price compare.

The Old Habit in Marshall sometimes gets in children's saddles but doesn't have a large selection. You also might call Clifton Saddlery.

Pelham Saddlery (http://www.pelham-saddlery.com/), in New Hampshire, has a good consignment/trial policy.

copper1
May. 10, 2010, 07:10 AM
I know Middleburg Tack exchange has kids saddles because I put one in there! :-)

datdog
May. 10, 2010, 07:21 AM
Custom Saddlery in Medford, NJ has an adorable little 15" close contact they just got in. It's the Custom brand but not sure what model it is. It's a very nice saddle.

Mayaty02
May. 10, 2010, 07:28 AM
I know Middleburg Tack exchange has kids saddles because I put one in there! :-)

care to PM me with what it is? :)

SonnysMom
May. 10, 2010, 07:57 AM
Rick's Heritage in West Chester PA does shipping.
http://www.saddlesource.com/products.asp?cat=147
They seem to have a couple of 14 on 14.5 and more 15's.
I would also call to see if they have any not listed on the website. They have a ton at the store. I sometimes get the feeling there are ones in the store not on the website.

EAY
May. 10, 2010, 08:55 AM
I was just at the MTE looking for a 15 and they only had a few children's saddles. The only CC in decent shape that I remember was tiny, a 13 or 13.5, but I guess their stock does change frequently. I hadn't realized that they have a web site where you can check availability.

Limerick
May. 10, 2010, 09:45 AM
I recently bought a 15 Beval Junior for my oldest daughter. I learned that Middleburg Tack updates their website every Thursday and they are very helpful. Beval had a decent list- I believe it's www.bestusedsaddles.com I did see quite a few 14's. I finally found what I needed on ebay and it's perfect!

Good luck!!

BAC
May. 10, 2010, 10:59 AM
Would a 15 3/4 Pessoa be considered a "pony Pessoa"? I know one that is not being used and was going to try and convince the owner to sell it rather than let it sit around collecting dust. She uses her Antares on the pony now and I use my own CWD, it seems a shame its going to waste.

Trixie
May. 10, 2010, 11:19 AM
I'd definitely call first if you need something specific at Changing Reins. Found it rather overpriced compared to MTE but with less selection. The staff weren't particularly helpful either in spite of the fact that ETBW and I love to spend money at consignment tack stores.

Mayaty02
May. 10, 2010, 11:23 AM
just curious, will they negotiate at MTE? They have some but look a little higher in price than I'd like to spend if i found a private seller.

I was at The Old Habit yesterday and they had a great HDR saddle but in absolutely horrible shape. I think the little girl must have never ever cleaned or conditioned it. It was rock hard, faded and just not pretty. And they wanted almost $500 for it saying they had no flexibility since it was a consignment.

Sparky Boy
May. 10, 2010, 11:46 AM
I have a pessoa pony saddle sitting in my house ;) It's somewhere between a 14-15". It could use a new home if anyone is interested, PM me and I'll measure it for you.

SidesaddleRider
May. 10, 2010, 12:05 PM
just curious, will they negotiate at MTE? They have some but look a little higher in price than I'd like to spend if i found a private seller.

On saddles only, you can put an offer in, and they will call the seller to ask them if they will accept it, and let you know.

I have done it many times.