PDA

View Full Version : Molded Tack, Gloves ..... Old Cooler - What To Do?

onthehill
May. 9, 2010, 06:02 AM
Opened my trunk after 20+ years. EESH. Have thrown out most of the stuff, but, there are still items worth hanging onto.

Question: How do I best deal with molded reins? How do I get it out, and get them looking decent again? What about a pair of nice leather riding gloves?? I had thought about putting the gloves, actually, in the washer - letting them almost dry out and then apply leather treatment (??)

Now - I also have an old, lovely wool plaid cooler that is still in good shape, although it smells mildly of mold. Don't see any though. Are these supposed to be dry cleaned?? We have an "organic" dry cleaner near us ( :confused: ) ... I would wash it but I'm afraid it will "felt" (shrink). If it should be dry cleaned, should I air it out first??

Thanks in advance! :)

woops
May. 9, 2010, 07:15 AM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:I would be scared after 20 yrs!! I would be afraid my old boyfriend Bob would be in their!!
I would try vinegar all over the wool cooler and put it out to hang -- I have also heard VODKA is excellant for musty odors.
And yes the smell of alcohol will go away!
But maybe if you you put it on your horse it will relax him too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

copper1
May. 9, 2010, 07:38 AM
If the cooler is WOOL you can hang it in the sun or take it to the dry cleaner. If it is that FELT stuff, toss it since that doesn't seem to clean well and get all pilly and thin. You can wash the leather gloves but do you really after 20 years want to wear them? Vinegar does do well on removing mold but once the leather is stained, that doesn't come out. You would need to also check the stiching very well because that does rot.

mojo7777
May. 9, 2010, 04:35 PM
For the leather, I highly recommend Leather CPR. A friend gave me her old dressage saddle which had been sitting in her basement for 16+ yrs. It was both dry as cardboard AND moldy. I used the Leather CPR because of its reputation for killing mold and--in addition to the light rubbing alcohol application :eek:--it did the trick. No more mold. That saddle soaked up more than a can of Hydropane as well. It looks very nice now!

Melzy
May. 11, 2010, 03:13 PM
I have one of those old red plaid wool coolers. After I sold my last horse, I now use it on my bed. Wash it in cold water using Woolite and hang to dry. I've had it since the 70's and still use it today. It looks brand new.

DMK
May. 11, 2010, 03:24 PM
I tried resurrecting a pair of nice gloves that were just a few years old and critically moldy - washed them in leather wash and conditioned the crap out of them and wore them until they dried then lightly conditioned again and put them in my show bag. It worked for them, it was a total fail with the crochet back working gloves (they just never un-stiffened, so I made them work gloves)

cbiscuit
May. 11, 2010, 04:03 PM
Dump the leather gloves and get those newfangled Roekel (sp? the ones with the little brass hand) ones. You'll never go back. And they go in the washing machine.

onthehill
May. 11, 2010, 04:24 PM
I have one of those old red plaid wool coolers. After I sold my last horse, I now use it on my bed. Wash it in cold water using Woolite and hang to dry. I've had it since the 70's and still use it today. It looks brand new.

YUP!! That's the one I've got! :D Red and off-white.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will try the CPR.

The glove were my absolute favorite, and I'd like to wear them again - so we'll see how they turn out ...

Roxy SM
May. 11, 2010, 06:54 PM
Dump the leather gloves and get those newfangled Roekel (sp? the ones with the little brass hand) ones. You'll never go back. And they go in the washing machine.

I'd have to disagree about the Roekels. I bought a pair once on someone's recommendation and they had holes within a week of riding 4 or 5 a day and I had blisters on my fingers. My favorite gloves for both riding and working around the barn are deerskin gloves. They last a long time and mold to your hands.