PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff~ I had a great SHOW today, anyone else?

HuntJumpSC
May. 8, 2010, 11:35 PM
I took my greenbean to her very first little hunter schooling show today. She just turned 3 last weekend, so the game plan was to at least go & hang out. We arrived and she was alert, but not spooky, just curious, like "Wow Mom, what's going on here?" :lol:

We walked around for awhile, handgrazing and checking out the activity. Then we went back to the trailer & chilled for a few. Then we found a nice quiet place and lunged for a few minutes, which helped her to relax even more.

After that, we hung out at the trailer with our haynet, and later on, since I had brought all my stuff (just in case), we tacked up and did lots of walking around, a little trotting, lots of exploring, and learning about how to handle all the show excitement. Again, she was perfect, no spook, no whinny, no silly, just curious and quiet. :cool:

Then, I made the decision to put her in one class after the schooling break, a little Walk Trot Pleasure, only 5 entries. She schooled in the ring like an old pro, didn't even look at the jumps or the water puddles from wetting the ring. We went in our class and she hacked nicely, very relaxed & happy and totally a great ride. We got 2nd!!! I was so happy with her round I was completely suprised that we pinned, but she was perfect and the experience was great! It may have been just a little schooling show, but that red ribbon means as much to me as any blue or champion that I've won, if not more! :winkgrin:

It's such a wonderful feeling to see that work from the past year paying off: starting slow, building trust, and truly becoming partners. Yeah, I'm on Cloud 9!

Here's the link to my little facebook album, for those who want to see her progress, including some pics from today. :)
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/album.php?aid=2023748&id=1143349940

Anyone else have a stellar day that they'd like to share/brag about? ;)

Aerial
May. 8, 2010, 11:53 PM
Aww she is such a cutie!! :D Looks pretty dang relaxed for a first show too.

Tha Ridge
May. 9, 2010, 12:20 AM
She looks like a real sweetie. Congrats! :)

Fun Size
May. 9, 2010, 01:05 AM
Aw! I had a really great day today too!

After lots of work (lunge line with no reins and no stirrups, then lunge line with eyes closed and no reins jumping), and shortening my stirrups 2 holes, we went off to the Camelot show.

First off was a Blue/Red schooling round at 2'6", to get ready for my first time in the SFHJA 17+ meal. Red ribbon in the schooling! We got down all the lines and it felt really good. Unfortunately, in the medal, I turned too early to get to a jump and ended up going down the quarter line instead of down the rail, which was kind of off track. All of the jumps and lines and rollbacks were really good though! Trainer was ok with the mistake because I actually recovered from it, and did a good job down the lines and over the jumps.

Next was green rider, at 2'. Got a little funky because of the height change, but then we decided to do the add and everything fell in to place (Max is the kind of horse that is all about "conserving energy" - why move that fast to a jump when I don't have to, huh mom?). Ended up being Champion in Green Rider.

Then Rusty Stirrup - up to 2'3". Decided to stay with the add, because it was getting toward the end of the day. We were champion in Rusty Stirrup too!!

So a really good day, and, of course, no pictures because the husband was out of town! :( Oh well.

Yay for good show days! :D

Mukluk
May. 9, 2010, 02:03 AM
Congratulations to you both! Wonderful to hear your great news!

supershorty628
May. 9, 2010, 10:15 AM
I also had a great weekend, although not with the kind of results that either of you had (congratulations!).

I went to IHSA Nationals for the first time and showed in the Cacchione Cup. I was one of only 2 freshmen in a field of 31 riders and had never been to a national equitation final before (I'd been to regional ones - New England, Connecticut, etc.). I was really worried that I would freeze up in the ring and not ride very well, as I did that at the National Horse Show last year when it was my first time showing somewhere so prestigious. While I didn't make the cut for the final ride off, I rode respectably and laid down a good trip over fences and flatted well, especially considering that I hadn't been able to ride in about a week.

Obviously that isn't nearly as awesome as either of you, but I am proud of myself for stepping up to the plate when I had the opportunity to flounder. :)

ridingschmedly
May. 9, 2010, 12:26 PM
Aww! She is adorable.

My boy and I had an awsome day yesterday. We went to a local schooling show, just for fun. This was our first show togehter this season, I was trying to get him in shape. Well, we were a hunter class and he got 1st! Then we got a second and a fifth (all my fault, I kinda turned into a passenger for a bit). But we ended up with a reserve in that division. *very happy with that* Then we had a few classes to break and he got some water, grass, and a short break from the saddle and bridle. Then we went back into a novice rider division and we won all 3 of our classes! We got champion in that divison, and we were riding against all adults. I was extreamly happy with him. He was an angle. And to top it all of yesterday was our 1 year anniversary. My horse might not be a warmblood or top ranking hunter pedigree wise (he's actually a PMU foal) but he has more heart than any horse I'v ever met. <3 Love you Jax, you're amazing.

shawneeAcres
May. 9, 2010, 05:28 PM
Yep that is how the "Lucky" horses are! They are born knowing how to show!! Congrats! Had a good weekend myself, with four of my students taking four championships yesterday at a schooling show series show. Then Friday and today I was at a QH show where my QH kid was circuit champion in Novice Huntseat EQ. I took my BIG boy along and showed him in the under saddle classes, of course he isn't exactly what the QH people are looking for but he rode beautifully so I was happy ,except for almost having a HUGE wreck in our last class when I was cantering up the rail and someone basically came from towards the center of the ring right smack in front of us, my horse freaked and slammed on brakes, he had no where to go and I went up his neck! At least he was a good boy and I didn't crash and burn! And the weather today was GORGEOUS!!! I am going to let my assistant maybe take my big boy to the Region 10 championship QH show next Friday and do green working on him, if he schools good this week. My hip has gotten so bad that doing much jumping right now is out of the question!

HowDoILook
May. 9, 2010, 07:09 PM
I think it was just a day for great days :)

I took my mare to her first show today. We had never loaded her on a trailer since she came, and she just walked on. Got to the show and she was a little frisky with all the commotion. So I just lunged her for a couple minutes to get any sillies out and to look around at anything. Hopped on with no problem and hacked around the ring so quietly. We ended up doing 2 special hunter divisions and she was GREAT. Jumped around like a pro, even threw in some lead changes that we were just introducing. Came home with two 3rds a 5th and three 7ths!

I think her favorite part though was getting to eat grass for three hours and all the treats she got :D

mypaintwattie
May. 9, 2010, 09:39 PM
Love your rust breeches!!! I rocked mine this weekend too at a local show, ended up division reserve champion!!!

mroades
May. 9, 2010, 10:33 PM
Yes! We had an awesome weekend in Tryon NC at Harmon Filed. My girls rocked the equitation and medals!!!

HuntJumpSC
May. 10, 2010, 12:23 AM
So glad to hear of everyone else's great shows~ and the weather was the icing on the cake. :)

LOL~ I love my TS rust breeches, but they fit last year when I bought them and now they're almost like MCHammer pants! I think they're 4-ways, so they have a ton of stretch to them, maybe I can get my seamstress to take them in...:lol:

RugBug
May. 10, 2010, 01:26 AM
Great day here, too. I took my trainer's horse to an event derby and did just the jump phase for fun. You basically do a combined stadium and cross country course. I did BN, thinking 2'7" would be fine on a horse I had only jumped twice in the last 6 months, but we got there and the jumps were miniscule. I shoulda done Novice, but oh well. It's been awhile since I've jumped outside a ring, so I didn't want to push it. We went around just fine, maybe a little too slow going downhill and a bit tentative at the ditch (last time I did one, I came off :lol:) but fun nonetheless.

Really, the best part wasn't even the 'competition' but the warm-up. It was on the facility's racetrack, so tt was a blast to gallop around the track and take the warm-up jumps.

FindersKeepers
May. 10, 2010, 08:35 AM
I am helping a friend start her 4 year old over fences and we took him to his first show this weekend. It was a local schooling show. He's only really been in work since March and only been jumping for 4 weeks. He was growing like a weed all winter, so while we kept him in tune with listening and transitions, we were limited in "work" that we could do, as far as building muscle, getting him on the bit, and balanced.

We took him over Saturday afternoon... with some minor trailer loading drama (it felt like 2 hours, but only took 15 minutes) He was curious but not spooky. He lunged for about 10 minutes and looked quiet so I hopped on. We hacked for awhile and he was being really good so we jumped around. It was only the 2 of us in the ring schooling, so that helped I am sure. He looked at all the jumps but went over them all. We decided since he was so brave, we'd go ahead and show him in the very green the next day, just to expose him to the show day life. There were only 5-7 entries in every division, it was a very quiet show.

Well we went in for our warm up and it wasn't pretty. The jumps and arena were a lot scarier on Sunday. (It was windy and rainy and 50 degrees... lots of tents up and other spooky babies...) so we had 2 refusals... but he turned around and trotted right over them. His 2 rounds in the very green were also not pretty, BUT he jumped everything and listened well. He hacked great... but couldn't keep himself together and got his giraffe neck going. We still placed though!

All in all, it was a great weekend. He was really brave and listened soooo well. He's just 4, and hasn't seen anything in his life until yesterday. I'm so proud of him. :)

sansibar
May. 10, 2010, 08:59 AM
Congrats on having such a good day :)

Well My show weekend was interesting, our debut in the 1.0m was interesting.

1st round which was on saturday was as good as it could be we didn't get all the way around we had a stop at a liverpool and at another jump. TOTALLY acceptable though because jumps were blowing down in the arena as we were going, there were waves occuring in the liver pools, the flags were snapping, feed bags were flying around, it was just not pleasant.

The next round that day we ended up scratching because it took 2 hours to get the course to stand up and even then it still kept coming down.

Came back on sunday weather was better no hail or rain or 100km winds, it was just -2 celcius.

In our first round we left three jumps up out of 12 I think, I just said we wanted to make the ring crew boys work for their money. ;)

Then our classic well over the first 7 jumps we were perfect!! And when I say perfect I mean we probably would have won the class, until I jumped the wrong jump. I went to the fan instead of the swedish. :(

Oh well it was his first outdoor jumper show, his first time in the meters, so he really was as good as he could have been. I am very proud of how far he has come since october. Our next show is in two weeks so we'll be better then :)

Chef Jade
May. 11, 2010, 01:02 AM
supershorty - very impressive!!!! That is a very intimidating situation, especially riding a horse you don't know, so well done!

I love hearing about everyone's greenie adventures. :yes: PJ is going to his second show (first one with me riding) in 2 weeks. I am so excited. I'll report back, hopefully with photos!

ponymom64
May. 11, 2010, 09:58 AM
Emily - that is awesome that you rode so well at nationals! I'm not surprised, though ;)

My DD and her young horse had a great day on Saturday - he's really coming along and we're just thrilled with him :)

Pulled into the show to find that they had set the hunter jumps out on the polo field with no ring fencing (they were expecting - and got - bad thunderstorms and felt the grass would hold up better than the lower ring footing) - they schooled around and he was lovely and bold. Then the thunderstorms came, so the show was held for a while, so he had to wait on the trailer for the all clear - finally the rain stopped and out he came for his division. He was amazing, won both of his high hunter rounds against mostly made up horses with local pros in the tack, was on his way to a nice hack prize but swapped down the long side right in front of the judge ;) - then back on the truck to wait for her medal class.

Between the hunters and the medal - the sun came out but the wind picked up and was wicked!! He hadn't seen the jumps in the main ring before walking in for his class (only his third equitation class ever) and jumped around like a champ with the wind howling and blowing jumps over, he was MUCH better behaved than a lot of the horses that have been doing this forever and didn't bat an eye as a jump blew over right next to him in the flat phase, he was an awesome boy and ended up with a second place in the equitation. We are SO proud and happy of how far he has come in the year that we have had him.

My DD was looking sharp rocking the rust breeches again - it was very old school on the outside course with the little TB galloping the course and jumping the crap out of the jumps :)

blackcat95
May. 11, 2010, 10:27 PM
Congrats to everyone who had a good weekend, and let me add my bit. :)

I went to my first "B" show in a really long time. Just did the 2' Modified Hunters and Specials... It went really well. I was nervous at first because of the wind (we had a huge windstorm), but it turned out fine. I managed to jump a whole course without dying, chipping too badly, and getting mostly the correct number of strides. He even did a flying change at the end! So exciting.

Justice
May. 12, 2010, 10:55 AM
Way to rock the shows, ladies! PJ, you're next. Tell your mom I want those stockings to sparkle. If only I could be there with my green spot remover to cheer you on in person...

RugBug
May. 12, 2010, 01:07 PM
Way to rock the shows, ladies! PJ, you're next. Tell your mom I want those stockings to sparkle. If only I could be there with my green spot remover to cheer you on in person...

Hahaaa...is it wrong that I envy ChefJade because she gets all that white to clean? :winkgrin: I LOVE taking care of white socks: getting them clean and gleaming.

Chef Jade
May. 13, 2010, 12:39 AM
I am looking for volunteers! I'll supply the show sheen! :cool:

HuntJumpSC
May. 13, 2010, 12:43 AM
LOL! That's why I love my filly's color right now~ she's that funky rose grey with dapples and dark points, so even when she's dirty it's deceiving. :winkgrin: Her coat gleams and sheds water & dirt like a duck, thanks to the flax, so she's never really dirty. *Sigh*~ too bad she's eventually gonna grey out!!! :lol: