PDA

View Full Version : What's going on at Garden State?

skyy
May. 8, 2010, 06:40 PM
I just heard a rumor that one of the stabling tents blew down and the fire department inspected 3 others and deemed them unsafe in the high winds and gave everyone 40 minuntes to get all their stuff and horses out. Also, the show was cancelled early for today and for tomorrow so it's done. Any truth to any of this?

MHM
May. 8, 2010, 06:44 PM
I heard a tent blew down and they had to cancel today and tomorrow due to weather.

JFJ
May. 8, 2010, 06:57 PM
I was there late in the afternoon and saw the one tent was down and that the show was cancelled for today, I didn't hear about tomorrow. And I just heard they told everyone they had to get out of the tents but that was all I heard. Too bad, I was looking forward to the GP.

fleur de duc
May. 8, 2010, 06:57 PM
EDITED:

Just got off the phone with a trainer from my farm who is at the show. The tent rumors are true. The wind is horrific. I could barely hear her on he phone. The tent that blew over/collapsed was pretty empty by the point it gave way as they had seen it going for some time before it actually gave way. No one was hurt, horse or human.

Apparently all the bridges were closed, stranding all the shippers not at the show on the other side. They are just coming in now. It sounds like they are trying to figure out what to do exactly, but they seem to think leaving is not much of an option with the crazy wind.

and yes it is cancelled

SquareOxer
May. 8, 2010, 07:25 PM
I hear the rest of the show is canceled and people are to evacuate the tents (I think by now they should have already)

They never have good luck with weather there. But hey, at least it didn't rain, right? ;)

CGolden
May. 8, 2010, 07:55 PM
The show has been canceled for tomorrow and everyone is being evacuated. Anyone who can not get out tonight is being put in permanent stabling for the night. The extremely high winds took down a few tents and some porta-johns. No one has been injured.

neigh.neigh
May. 8, 2010, 07:57 PM
i was there today! The wind was HORRIBLE. Yes the tent collapsed. My friends were walking by when it happened and took out whatever horses they could before it collapsed. It was scary but everyone got out. Thank god we day-tripped!!!! They cancelled the show for the rest of today and tomorrow

They never have good luck with weather there. But hey, at least it didn't rain, right?

And actually it did rain for about an hour hahahah

MHM
May. 8, 2010, 08:32 PM
Crazy!!! :eek:

Glad nobody was hurt.

GPjumper
May. 8, 2010, 08:40 PM
I heard several people were hospitalized when the tent collapsed and that another tent ripped in half. Apparently they were trying to use shavings bags to keep the jumps up but the gusts were so strong they gave up.

HunterJumperLuv
May. 8, 2010, 09:02 PM
Hope everyone (Human,Equine and otherwise) are okay! Pretty intense sounding weather!

joiedevie99
May. 8, 2010, 09:58 PM
I saw pictures of the collapsed/ripped tent. It looked pretty scary. Everyone I know who was there is fine- but I hope everyone else is too!

Jetta2horse
May. 8, 2010, 10:11 PM
an announcement that rest of show was cancelled @ 5:45pm today.

"HORSE SHOW CANCELLED
The decision was made at 5:45 PM, Saturday , May 8th to cancel the remaining classes of the Garden State Horse Show. "

Here's the link:

http://www.horseshowing.com/show.php?show=49

It was not a good afternoon there. Everyone was lucky to get out of that tent. Some other tents were looking questionable when I left @ 5. Show management was smart to send people home.

huntereq7
May. 8, 2010, 10:59 PM
Wow at first I was kind of upset that I was leaving early but now I'm glad I did! I was riding when the tent over the seating by the GP ring blew off on Tuesday and that was certainly NOT fun... can't imagine how petrified the poor horses/people were in the tent that collapsed! Even back in CT the wind is ridiculous...

AliCat
May. 9, 2010, 01:25 PM
Wow, that is scary stuff. I was wondering how all those tents would hold up in this wind.

wilkins2
May. 9, 2010, 06:17 PM
I had one horse in the tent when it started to come down. Luckily the owner got him out! We live close so most of the horses were at home, waiting to come back for classes Sunday. It was a mess. Lots of disappointed people that didn't get to show, but the weather most of today was super windy and really cold.
Glad everyone and all the horses are ok.

kkmggn
May. 9, 2010, 09:53 PM
yeah i was there it was actually really scary haha the tent just started blowing off and the firemen were like sprinting everywhere trying to keep it on. and before that it was so windy the jumps kept falling down in the middle of peoples rounds. a trailer finally came for our horses at like midnight which was right before our tent pretty much collapsed.

OAK
May. 10, 2010, 09:44 AM
How much confuusion was in the office with the exhibitors trying to close out. Or did they just leave and go home with the bad WEATHER?

MILOUTE55
May. 10, 2010, 12:13 PM
Wow! I had no idea it was that bad!
The reps called me last week; our brand new tent broke in half the minute they put it up and I was supposed to call and yell at the manufacturer... I guess it wasn't really their fault so it's good I haven't had time to do it yet!

Amandine

TSWJB
May. 10, 2010, 02:10 PM
wow! i was disappointed that my friend and i drove up for the grand prix and found out it was cancelled. so we basically said hi to some friends and drove home. i did see the collapsed tent.
but my disappointment as a spectator is nothing like what the exhibitors must have felt. wow! that show was sooooo crowded when i arrived. there must have been so many disappointed people. it was windy though and it was really cold.

jrzeqrider
May. 10, 2010, 02:54 PM
I heard that six horses were taken to MidAtlantic, but don't know the details. Our trainer started sending horses home early Saturday, before most others were evacuating, so we got all but four out. Those four were moved to the permanent stalls until they could bring them back, which they did yesterday.

kkmggn
May. 10, 2010, 06:23 PM
I heard that six horses were taken to MidAtlantic, but don't know the details. Our trainer started sending horses home early Saturday, before most others were evacuating, so we got all but four out. Those four were moved to the permanent stalls until they could bring them back, which they did yesterday.

i dont think any horses were hurt. they called to evacuate the tent long before it fell and all the horses were just grazing. and then they brought a bunch of large trailers in to put the horses on. there were a bunch of horses walking around and spooking like crazy so maybe that was why

jrzeqrider
May. 10, 2010, 06:37 PM
i dont think any horses were hurt. they called to evacuate the tent long before it fell and all the horses were just grazing. and then they brought a bunch of large trailers in to put the horses on. there were a bunch of horses walking around and spooking like crazy so maybe that was why

It definitely could have just been a rumor.. I was home for the weekend, so I'm definitely glad I decided to come up on Friday to watch. My 18yr old TB hunter discovered a new career, the girl who is leasing him won the Itty Bitty Jumpers friday. hehe :D

nutmeg
May. 10, 2010, 07:58 PM
I sincerely hope the show organizers didn't lose their shirts with the cancellations and chaos. They do a lovely job and made some difficult decisions at lightning speed. Garden State is a delight after the endless grind of the Florida circuit. We were having a blast until the wind came up and were very sorry to be leaving early.