PDA

View Full Version : working students?

grab_mane
May. 8, 2010, 10:44 AM
Does anyone know where or how I could find a working students position that is close to home?

I have tried yardandgroom.com and I have googled barns in my area, but I still haven't found anything.

Tips?

AliCat518
May. 8, 2010, 10:45 AM
This may not be everyones cup of tea, but I would go by some barns and just talk to people. If they dont have something for you, they might know someone who does!

Artemis
May. 8, 2010, 11:49 AM
Yardandgroom is your best bet along with calling barns, but walking into a barn is a bad idea. I don't think many barns would like someone just walking in. I found one on yardandgroom but I'm traveling to Alabama for the summer for my workig student position.

findeight
May. 8, 2010, 03:12 PM
Alot of these are more word of mouth then advertised, especially if you have to be close to home. Ask around, ask your trainer if she can recommend you to somebody. Ask your friends who train at other barns. Maybe go to a local show and ask around, introduce yourself and so forth.

skyy
May. 8, 2010, 07:35 PM
We have never set out to look for a working student - they have always come to us. Almost every single time someone has sent us an email saying something like " I saw you at a horse show or my trainer/farrier/vet/best friend knows you or I audited a clinic you gave, blah, blah, blah and I am interested in becoming your working student". If the person has the right background an interview is set up and we go from there. We didn't know that we wanted a working student until the ideal person presented themselves. Instead of trying to find someone who wants a working student, why don't you try selling yourself to some trainers? This method has the advantage of less competition - if they aren't actively looking for a WS no one else but you is applying for the job!

Having a pre-existing connection (as sited above) will probably be a help if you go this route. If the trainer knows someone you know (and can call that person for a reference) you will get much further. Good luck!

RyuEquestrian
May. 8, 2010, 07:55 PM
Where are you located?

grab_mane
May. 9, 2010, 12:23 AM
Thank you!!

I have emailed a few places, but it wasn't working. I will try to sell myself a bit more and try more barns!

And I am in northern Atlanta.

kkmggn
May. 9, 2010, 10:11 PM
finding a barn to be a working student at is more done my networking than advertising yourself. talk to your current trainer or someone who is well networked and get them to recommend you and put the word out.

grandprixjump
May. 9, 2010, 11:20 PM
LocalHorse.com it used to be Gahorse.com so is very big in the GA area..

englishivy
May. 10, 2010, 07:58 AM
PM sent.