PDA

View Full Version : I need bridle suggestions!

KateD
May. 7, 2010, 11:48 PM
So I figured it's about time I actually purchase a new, jumper (hunter sometimes too - for fun) bridle - I've been using a dressage bridle only, even in shows! :eek:

So I need some recommendations!
My mare has a fine head, she uses both a horse size and cob size bridle. The cob fits better although it has stretched alot and is now on the tightest hole on the noseband. Others are on the loosest holes, for the most part.

I use a flash bridle right now, so I'm not sure if I should switch to a figure 8 or not, she goes fine majority of the time but she does get her tongue out still at times.

Also I had one bridle that was an orange-ish colour (and wasn't going to darken easy) and it looked horrible on her! I did manage to trade with my sister though. So I need something in a darker colour.

I don't really have a budget and have looked at everything from Mondega (Greenhawk) to Antares. So I'm looking for something with really good quality.

Here is a picture to give you an example of her head, I know I probably need a thinner noseband! haha
http://s871.photobucket.com/albums/ab273/KateD323/Riding/?action=view&current=DSC_6260.jpg

Thanks! :)

alteringwego
May. 8, 2010, 12:00 AM
price range?

KateD
May. 8, 2010, 12:01 AM
I don't really have a budget and have looked at everything from Mondega (Greenhawk) to Antares. So I'm looking for something with really good quality.

Denzel
May. 8, 2010, 12:46 AM
If your mare has an iffy head, I definitely recommend Brita at www.justbridles.com!! I recently ordered a bridle from her, and she was amazingly helpful not only helping me find a bridle that met my "wants" (1" noseband, padded, fancy stitched and with a single crown/comfort crown). I ended up getting the Red Barn Fusion and she was extremely helpful in figuring out which part I needed in which size. I love that you can "custom" order parts so that the bridle fits well. The bridle itself is absolutely gorgeous, much happier with it that the Vespuccis that I have that are now schooling bridles. I would definitely suggest shooting her an e-mail!

Go Fish
May. 8, 2010, 04:04 AM
Edgewood will mix and match pieces if you need a combination of cob and horse sizes. Excellent quality...I love mine. Last one I bought was around $450 for both bridle and reins, no stitching.

jewll27
May. 8, 2010, 08:51 AM
just an FYI about my barnmates (3 of them) experience with the red barn bridles. AFter they were oiled, the stitching turned purple. Yes purple. It seems to be fading with cleaning but it happened.

KateD
May. 8, 2010, 01:28 PM
To clarify, the only thing I really need in a different size is the browband, the one off the Cob bridle didn't fit at all! All other parts have remained the same on that bridle. (just have stretched now.)

Also, I need some links where I could purchase online, I like no where near a tackshop with something of good quality for showing. I am in Canada (just incase that helps to know?)

Thanks for the responses so far! I'm looking into them. :)

doublesstable
May. 8, 2010, 01:35 PM
I bought a Stubben YEARS ago and it's still beautiful. It has a larger brow band that fits my bigger horses. I have had trainers comment how nice the leather is. It was not too pricey.

I also got a Pessoa that's nice; but I think it was too pricey... for the quailty. The Stubben is a nicer headstall.

Denzel
May. 8, 2010, 04:56 PM
To clarify, the only thing I really need in a different size is the browband, the one off the Cob bridle didn't fit at all! All other parts have remained the same on that bridle. (just have stretched now.)

Also, I need some links where I could purchase online, I like no where near a tackshop with something of good quality for showing. I am in Canada (just incase that helps to know?)

Thanks for the responses so far! I'm looking into them. :)

I am in Canada as well, and shipping with justbridles was really easy and quite cheap too, and no hassle from customs which is a huge benefit. They also carry edgewood bridles I believe. I haven't had any experience with those though. All the Vespuccis I have had have been really good quality, and they've been used pretty hard. My RedBarn bridle has been amazing so far, came super soft and only got nicer with oiling, it is a really nice quality bridle. I have the Fusion which is the one they just came out with.

Hampton Bay
May. 8, 2010, 05:50 PM
The newer Stubbens aren't as nice as the old ones though.

I have two cob-sized Barnsby bridles that are really nice. SP had the plain cavesson, no stitching, with reins for $120 or something recently, as a closeout on that specific model.

onelanerode
May. 8, 2010, 06:17 PM
Check out Five Star Tack's bridles ... they have some really, really nice bridles and the owner is very willing to swap out parts if you need a custom fit.

KateD
May. 8, 2010, 06:42 PM
Does anyone have experience with this bridle? http://www.jumpinconnection.com/Megeve.htm or this brand in particular?

pony lover xx
May. 8, 2010, 08:36 PM
I would definitely suggest Edgewood, and justbridles.com! Edgewood makes gorgeous bridles in a few different styles, and the people at justbridles are so helpful. Plus you'll be able to mix and match pieces at no extra cost. They can even order matching martingales if you want.

doublesstable
May. 9, 2010, 12:32 AM
The newer Stubbens aren't as nice as the old ones though.

Well that's a bummer!!

I purchased a Keiffer Dressage bridle on line once and had to return it. It was cracking because they ship them in formaldehyde.... eeeuuuu.

I have an Edgewood but it's light leather and I am afraid to oil it too much.. I love oiled soft leather.. mmmmmm.

I won't buy a bridle on line because I want to feel and smell it... yeah.. I'm weird... I know. Quality leather has "that smell"...

spmoonie
May. 9, 2010, 10:05 AM
I have an Edgewood and a Hadfields that I absolutely adore. Both have beautiful, soft leather with tight stitching. Fantastic bridles!

Lucassb
May. 9, 2010, 10:41 AM
Does anyone have experience with this bridle? http://www.jumpinconnection.com/Megeve.htm or this brand in particular?

The Herve Godignon bridles are usually quite nice. I haven't seen that one in person but have another one and the quality is lovely.

Remember though if you are going to use that bridle for the hunter ring, a flash is a no-no. It's fine for the jumpers, though.

If you want the absolute best possible quality, personally I'd get a Jimmy's, although I have heard the new ones are not made in the US anymore, so check that out first and make sure the quality has not declined. You cannot go wrong with Sedgewick leather.

Hadfields is another high end choice, but be aware their bridles run almost a full size small. That might work to your benefit as their standard horse size might be exactly right for your fine- headed horse. Ask for measurements and compare to your current bridle (assuming it fits well) to see.

I also have a really, really pretty Hermes bridle and can tell you that if you want to splurge... that is a wonderful option. It is a very traditional look, absolutely gorgeous and would really set off a fine head beautifully. They're pricey, though.

A lot of people like Edgewood bridles, and they make a variety of styles, from plain to padded, wide nosebands, etc. I have two Edgewoods and although I like them well enough, they're middle of the road IMO. Nice enough but nothing particularly special.

On the other hand, the Antares bridle I have is one of my favorites, but I suspect it might be a little "too much" on your horse. I have a big warmblood who can carry off a bit more bridle, and like him best with a wide noseband model, but on your horse it might be a little too much; you could always try one and see how you like it. The quality is wonderful.

Happy shopping!

Hunter Mom
May. 9, 2010, 01:07 PM
We've got several horses at our barn who have similar not-quite-cob not-quite-full heads. Teh Aramas bridles seem to fit them well and are beautiful. They look VERY much like Edgewoods but for a lot less money. THey hold up beautifully as well. You can also get them at justbridles.com - they're great!

Lucassb
May. 9, 2010, 01:30 PM
We've got several horses at our barn who have similar not-quite-cob not-quite-full heads. Teh Aramas bridles seem to fit them well and are beautiful. They look VERY much like Edgewoods but for a lot less money. THey hold up beautifully as well. You can also get them at justbridles.com - they're great!

I agree, the Aramas bridles are lovely, although I have found they run very true to size.

My horse, who wears a full size in Edgewood, Jimmy's, Hermes, and HG, also wears a full size Aramas. For reference, he wears an O/S in Antares, Hadfield and Beval bridles.

KateD
May. 9, 2010, 03:35 PM
Thank you! I will look into the brands recommended. Where are the best places to buy online? I am looking at justbridles.com, anywhere else? Also low shipping to get it up here would be a bonus! :) Lucassb, thanks for the reminder, that's part of the reason I was looking at that Herve Godignon bridle with the removable flash.

Anyone have experience with CWD bridles? How does their sizing run?

Lucassb
May. 9, 2010, 06:31 PM
Thank you! I will look into the brands recommended. Where are the best places to buy online? I am looking at justbridles.com, anywhere else? Also low shipping to get it up here would be a bonus! :) Lucassb, thanks for the reminder, that's part of the reason I was looking at that Herve Godignon bridle with the removable flash.

Have you looked at Premier Tack Outlet? They frequently have great bridles at super prices (both new and used,) and Rebecca's service is fantastic.

I've never personally had a CWD bridle but their strap goods are lovely and I have friends who adore theirs. In fact BAC bought one recently IIRC, and likes it very much. You might ask her about the sizing.

KateD
May. 9, 2010, 08:28 PM
I will send her a message about that! Thanks again, Lucassb. I have looked at PTO but they didn't have anything I was interested in the right size for me :( I will continue to check back there though!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

BAC
May. 10, 2010, 10:53 AM

I have a cob CWD hunter bridle and find it runs true to size, or maybe a trifle on the large size. The pony that wears it has 2 cob Edgewoods and the CWD fits pretty much just like both Edgewoods.

My favorite figure 8 bridles are Antares and CWD but I also love Hadfields figure 8s too.

Rollie Pollie
May. 10, 2010, 04:06 PM

That's mine! Do you get cobs or fulls in Aramas?

KateD
May. 10, 2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

ktm2007
May. 11, 2010, 01:01 AM
Check out Five Star Tack's bridles ... they have some really, really nice bridles and the owner is very willing to swap out parts if you need a custom fit.

I just received my Five Star Tack Bridle and it is lovely. They have two of the models on sale right now. Just thought I would chime in!

BAC
May. 11, 2010, 10:39 AM
I just received my Five Star Tack Bridle and it is lovely. They have two of the models on sale right now. Just thought I would chime in!

A friend bought a Five Star Tack bridle this winter, it is very nice. :yes: