PDA

View Full Version : Course Designers ?

wolfatbay2002
May. 7, 2010, 11:30 PM
I was wondering if the course designers at "A" shows actually go to these shows?

Lazy Palomino Hunter
May. 7, 2010, 11:35 PM
I was wondering if the course designers at "A" shows actually go to these shows?

Do you mean
"do they ever go to these shows?"
or
"do they go to every show they design a course for?"
or
"do they compete over the courses they designed?"

I know one course designer (Glenn Moody)... and while I don't know if he takes riders to every show he designs the courses for, I know it does happen.

As far as I know he no longer rides/horse shows himself, so if the question is the third one I can't be of any help.

wolfatbay2002
May. 7, 2010, 11:41 PM
I should have asked if they ever attend in person to supervise the courses being put up.

Seal Harbor
May. 8, 2010, 05:05 AM
They are there running the jump crews and out in the ring or field to build, they don't fax their work in. They have to be there to figure out the time allowed on the jumper courses, discussing changing the time allowed if the course doesn't ride as they had planned. If they weather isn't cooperating courses get changed or moved. Look for the person with the measuring wheel or tape and the laptop. The course designer is always there.

Hunter Mom
May. 8, 2010, 10:10 AM
Being there is a part of their job. They have to be there in case something needs adjusted or such, to supervise jump crew and to verify that it is all built right.

wolfatbay2002
May. 8, 2010, 04:58 PM
Thank you all so much for your help! This really helps make my mind up on going to a show. Rob Gage is going to be a course dewsigner at a show this Sept and it is a drive for me, but it will be worth it.

*jumper*
May. 8, 2010, 05:03 PM
Yep, and it's even more important that they're on hand for the bigger classes and grand prix. Designers also (although they may have designed for the venue many, many times) have to be on site to design for the terrain. For example, the Oaks in SoCal rotates grass fields from week to week, and each ring has a slightly different shape. One is the derby field and has trees, banks, etc, so those need to be accounted for as well. Designers can't just draw out some jumps on a template and then have everyone else do the footwork.

rosebecard
May. 8, 2010, 05:34 PM
Rob is a great course designer. He puts a lot of thought into
into his courses. Have fun at the show!

wolfatbay2002
May. 8, 2010, 11:07 PM
I am not going to have a good time, but a great time. I am going to be so nervous thou. This will be my first "A" show in over 20 yrs.

Molly99
May. 9, 2010, 02:48 PM
If you are going specifically for a special course designer, make sure you contact the show close to the date to make sure nothing has changed. Things happen and the show might have to change an official, or the official might have a conflict.