PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest place to purchase Adequan?

workinggirl
May. 7, 2010, 12:45 PM
Looking to get my script filled- looking for the cheapest? thanks

JenMiller
May. 7, 2010, 12:55 PM
If your vet will write you a prescription, Heartland Vet Supply has generic Adequan. Its about half price.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 7, 2010, 02:06 PM
There is no such thing as generic adequan. There is a similar compound (not the same molecular structure, FWIW) that is not approved for IM use- only as a surgical joint lavage (which is also a labeled use of adequan). However, using the "generic" would require having your vet write an off-label use prescription, which is not altogether ethical, so many won't do it.

I buy my adequan from Farmvet. They had it on sale a few months back for $38/vial which is the cheapest I've found it online.

P.S.- If your vet is touting Ichon as a generic of Adequan, you might want to have a chat with your vet because he or she should know better.

Lucassb
May. 7, 2010, 02:44 PM
There is no such thing as generic adequan. There is a similar compound (not the same molecular structure, FWIW) that is not approved for IM use- only as a surgical joint lavage (which is also a labeled use of adequan). However, using the "generic" would require having your vet write an off-label use prescription, which is not altogether ethical, so many won't do it.

I buy my adequan from Farmvet. They had it on sale a few months back for $38/vial which is the cheapest I've found it online.

P.S.- If your vet is touting Ichon as a generic of Adequan, you might want to have a chat with your vet because he or she should know better.

Ditto, especially on the last paragraph.

I used to get Adequan from Allivet; IIRC it was around $40 a dose.

vxf111
May. 7, 2010, 02:47 PM
The best regular price I have seen is Allivet. FarmVet did have that GREAT special once time that was even cheaper-- but typically they are a touch more than Allivet.

Hunter/JumperMom
May. 7, 2010, 03:03 PM
Just remember if you are a USEF member, you can get a discount at Farmvet. Not sure the amount, but something.

forward ride
May. 7, 2010, 03:12 PM
I've always done Allivet as well. However, Smartpak now has a large vial of it (maybe 10 doses?) for cheaper per dose. So if you are ready to throw down and buy in bulk, Smartpak is actually the best now.

majanick
May. 7, 2010, 03:36 PM
I have always gotten a better deal than that from Equine Tack. The number is 800- 833-8225. I have found they are super nice and the cheapest. Good luck.

JA
May. 7, 2010, 04:11 PM
My vet said to stay away from the multidose vial if you are only using it for one horse. Something about by the 6th or 7th dose he might get an infection. The multidose vial is designed for large barns treating 5-10 horses at the same time.