PDA

View Full Version : Finding a trail partner?

Dawn&Reno
May. 6, 2010, 07:14 PM
This question popped into my head yesterday. How would someone go about finding a 'trail buddy'? I don't interact with a lot of other horse people in the area (at least not closely). But I would like to go out on some trails occasionally. I don't want to go alone, and my mare would need an experienced 'buddy' as well.

If in that scenario, how would you go about finding someone willing to let you 'tag along'?

pnalley
May. 6, 2010, 08:00 PM
Check with your local saddle clubs. They should be able to point you toward people that trail ride in your area. When you check into tagging along be honest about your skill level as well as that of your horse.

Our saddle club has members that trail ride 3 x weekly. Different difficulty levels on the trails, the other riders are happy to let you know which are good starter trails & which are not. Where are you located? If you are in central GA look here:

http://pikecountyhorseclub.page.tl/Home.htm

twofatponies
May. 6, 2010, 08:45 PM
There's a COTH riding buddies map on google. Someone started it a while ago. If the link works:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=35.541166,-117.399902&spn=4.477909,9.711914&z=7&msid=108056802720091927379.000456f5233021ceb7b28

I don't know how else to link to it. Try cutting and pasting the whole link. :)

Painted Horse
May. 7, 2010, 06:14 AM
Go hang out around one of the local trail heads. Talk with anybody showing up with a horse. I have met several folks who have gone on to become good friends just by talking to others that also ride the same trails that I like to ride.
Another option is to check the trail ride calendar for groups like Back Country Horsemen in your area or the state Foxtrotter club etc. Around here these groups do monthly rides for their members and most are glad to have new folks join them.

SmartAlex
May. 7, 2010, 08:31 AM
I found a friend of mine a trail buddy on the COTH google map. Now sidepasser had to move, and my friend wants me to find her another one. I think sidepasser is probably irreplaceable. ;)

try posting your location on here and see if you get any PMs

PRS
May. 7, 2010, 08:45 AM
Join a trail riding club. I joined a trail riding club a few years ago and now I get their newletter and notifications of trail rides in my area where I can meet other people who like to trail ride. I've met lots of nice people that I can now call "friend".

NJRider
May. 7, 2010, 09:38 AM
I started a yahoo group where people can meet and arrange to ride together. It worked out great. I posted a few ads on craigslist to invite people to join and now every weekend, people who live close to a certain trail, will meet up. I have a very green horse so I wanted to find people who would ride with me who had steady-eddies. The list grew very fast, seems like there was a need for this.
There really are not any local trail clubs, at least not any that have contact info are you can find. Also, we are not wanting those "big group" trail rides, just to meet a few people to ride with.
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/swmotrailriders/

JollyBadger
May. 7, 2010, 12:04 PM
I agree with the suggestions of joining/contacting a local saddle club or maybe a horse council. Most clubs and groups are always looking for ways to increase memberships, anyway.:winkgrin:

There are also online groups like meetup.com that you could use to find a trail buddy or two (or more).

Dawn&Reno
May. 7, 2010, 04:41 PM
I'm in northeat TN, basically almost to the very tip of the state. I like the suggestions about contacting saddle clubs!

Huntertwo
May. 7, 2010, 05:08 PM
Are there any local horse forums you can post this question on? Or local horse publications to take out an ad?

Perhaps if you have state horse council, they would know of local trail riders or riding groups?

Good luck..:)

Dawn&Reno
May. 7, 2010, 07:25 PM
I just realized I'm not in NE Tn, I'm in Southwest VA. Apparently my move is taking awhile for my brain to pick up! I don't know of any local horse forums or anything like that.

PRS
May. 8, 2010, 09:54 PM
Go to where other horse people congregate...horse shows, county fairgrounds, etc. Check out your local feed store...strike up conversations with other people who have horses in your area...by networking in your area you will eventually meet other horse enthusiasts and in doing so be able to ask about clubs and organizations nearby.

Liberty
May. 8, 2010, 10:41 PM
I just realized I'm not in NE Tn, I'm in Southwest VA. Apparently my move is taking awhile for my brain to pick up! I don't know of any local horse forums or anything like that.

Hi Dawn!

You might want to check out two Yahoo list groups in VA. One is VAHorses (see my sig for the link) which is a chat group of Virginia folks, some of which I know are in/around SW VA.

The other is VAHorseTrails, which isn't a chat group but, rather, sends out announcements of trail rides throughout the state, most of which are in/around SW and SE VA:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Vahorsetrails/

:)

tkhawk
May. 9, 2010, 11:10 AM
Maybe a barn that is more geared towards trail riding? Some barns almost half trail ride and many love company.

AlfalfaGirl
May. 9, 2010, 11:00 PM
The lady I bought Red from invited me to go on a trail ride the Cowboy Church in her area was putting on. I met some people there. I bought another horse and that lady put me in contact with the person she bought him from. Turns out I had met him on the Cowboy Church ride! I ride with him, his brother, a a few of his friends and they are the best ever. Experienced riders, they know the trails better than anyone else and are just a fun bunch of guys. They have become my good friends.

Later I heard about a group that is loosely affiliated with a different Cowboy Church and went and rode with them. The two groups sometimes merge or we ride at the same places so I have rode in the morning with one group and in the afternoon with the next group.

Check out and see if there is a Cowboy Church in your area. They have been a great group to ride with - good family type rides - sometimes with the whole families and we camp out at a park. It is way too much fun! Good luck on finding a trail buddy or two!

bisous
Jun. 2, 2010, 10:14 PM
There's a COTH riding buddies map on google. Someone started it a while ago. If the link works:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=35.541166,-117.399902&spn=4.477909,9.711914&z=7&msid=108056802720091927379.000456f5233021ceb7b28

I don't know how else to link to it. Try cutting and pasting the whole link. :)

This is a great tool! When you find someone in your area how do you contact them?? also, how does one get themselves on the google map? Not much of a computer person...help please

movo
Jun. 3, 2010, 08:21 AM
I met a great friend of mine when she posted an ad on Craigslist in the farm and garden section, for trail riding buddies. The one thing she stated that was very important was that they had to have their own trailer. It gets very tiresome if you have to go way out of your way to pick someone up.

It has worked out really well and we have met quite a few people through that ad.

Most of my trail riding buddies come from a state horse bulletin board. In my case, it is the flahorse.com board where I have gotten to know people all over the state (and near me) and then we have gotten together to trail ride. That has been a lot of fun and I have cemented many great relationships that way.