PDA

View Full Version : Are JR8s really that much of a sin?

Jumpthemoon16
May. 6, 2010, 02:09 PM
So, I need a nicer helmet for this show season. My old Troxel Grand Prix has been packing me around Eventing shows for a while, but I'd like to get a CO for H/J shows. The thing is, I definitely can't afford the AYR8, and probably not the GR8 unless I splurged about $80 past my budget.

I've heard that people don't think that the JR8 is stylish enough for the Hunter ring because of the nylon harness instead of the leather. I like the look, but does the nylon look 'cheap'? I certainly don't want to be laughed out of the ring :P
Please let me know if I will be OK with a JR8... or should I keep saving for a GR8 or AYR8?

Thanks!

NorthFaceFarm
May. 6, 2010, 02:15 PM
I have one, because my head is tiny and it fits better than the other CO's. Nobody has ever commented or made a funny face. I think I actually prefer the nylon, because its smaller and disappears into my hair/net to the eye.

Aquila
May. 6, 2010, 02:18 PM
I don't think so! I wear one, because it fit me better than the GR8 (looked less bobbleheaded). I've never heard any objections.

Hunter Mom
May. 6, 2010, 02:39 PM
If it fits, it's fine. They seem to be a touch smaller than the GR8, but I couldn't tell you if a rider is in one versus the other.

BAC
May. 6, 2010, 02:47 PM
I can barely tell them apart, buy what fits you best but don't bankrupt yourself either, especially for fashion.

Rollie Pollie
May. 6, 2010, 02:51 PM
You have a PM :)

indygirl2560
May. 6, 2010, 03:28 PM
I have a jr8 and from a distance, it looks almost identical to the gr8. I think it looks nice and I've never been dinged for wearing it in competition.

GreyHunterHorse
May. 6, 2010, 03:53 PM
Heavens, I cant imagine anyone can tell one from the other! I got one to replace my old GR8, not wanting to dump another $300 into something when the exact same thing for half the price existed with a nylon harness....and it fits me better anyhow. Why break the bank if you dont have to?

LoriW
May. 6, 2010, 04:06 PM
I have one as well as it fit better - never heard a bad comment about it.

Spooks
May. 6, 2010, 04:12 PM
I have both the GR8 and JR8 and love them. I see no reason why not to wear the JR8 in the ring - it looks nice!

Little Indian
May. 6, 2010, 07:17 PM
The JR8 is a little bit more shallow than the GR8 per the local Charles Owen Rep.

GreystoneKC
May. 6, 2010, 09:56 PM
They're hard to tell apart from farther away. Closer up, I can tell easily. That being said, I have a kid who shows in the Childrens Horses with one and she does just fine and I also have a couple lower level kids with them. If that's what fits and you like it, then get it. It's not a major issue.

irideponyhunters
May. 6, 2010, 10:11 PM
i like those! i tried them as well as the GR8's. The jr8's didnt seem to fit my head right and neither did the GR8s. I went with a IRH XR9 and LOVE IT. Great quality helmet. I show in rated shows as well as a nice local hunter circuit with mostly A circuit riders/ponies and i LOVE the helmet

MsRidiculous
May. 6, 2010, 11:19 PM
I bought an AYR8 from a tack shop in England for $200. Even with shipping you can get it here for $225. I think the GR8's are about $30 cheaper.

irishequestrian29
May. 6, 2010, 11:51 PM
what tack show in england?

irishequestrian29
May. 6, 2010, 11:51 PM
shop* oops

Xctrygirl
May. 7, 2010, 12:38 AM
I adore mine, moreso due to the cost, and I use it in jumper shows, events, and foxhunting.

I don't really care if people know its not the 'precious and pricey' GR8. It protects my penny pinching brain, so I am perfectly thrilled with it.

If anyone did say anything I would of course offer them the chance to buy a GR8 for me instead. :-)

~Emily

mypaintwattie
May. 7, 2010, 01:16 AM
I have the IRH XR9 and love it- the harness looks just like the GR8, but the price tag was closer to the JR8. It is very comfortable, and unless you are up close it is hard to tell that it isn't a CO.

ponyjumper4
May. 7, 2010, 12:36 PM
The only reason I didn't buy one is because I hate nylon straps. I really wanted a GR8, but since I'm not showing at the moment, couldn't justify the expense, so I got a Hampton :)

luckeys71
May. 7, 2010, 10:45 PM
I bought a COJR8 last year to replace my unapproved helmet, after many years away from showing. I agonized over my decision for some time. I, too, have a limited budget, but wanted to "look the part" in the show ring. I decided on the black on black JR8 and really love it. It is so comfortable and light. I can wear it all day with no pain. My old helmets caused headaches after about half an hour. I wish I had switched a long time ago. We just had a discussion about helmets in my lesson, yesterday, and my trainer said how much she liked the way mine looked. Her daughter is looking to replace her many years old, $500 GPA. I still like the classic velvet look, but since people have moved away from it, I think the black on black CO gives you a more modern look, but still a touch of the classic. I have never liked the GPA stripe look that was so popular. The covering of the CO helmet is much easier to care for and keep looking nice than velvet, too. My trainer, also, commented that she liked the black on black look much better than the grey on black one her daughter was borrowing at the time. Oh, for the days when there was basically one choice! I do doubt that you are ever going to lose a class based on your helmet choice, but you don't want something that stands out as unconventional, either (ah, peer pressure). I think the COJR8 and GR8 are so close to looking the same, someone will have to do some close inspecting to tell. As my grandmother often said, "Who will ever be able to tell on a galloping horse?"

IrishWillow
May. 8, 2010, 12:03 AM
From 5 feet away, they look THE SAME! LOL

crazyhorses
May. 9, 2010, 05:11 PM
There's like no difference when I look at it. Aside from the hook thing (whatever it's called). But how could you tell from far away? Or like poster above said, 5 feet away? Who cares! If it fits, it fits. I totally would have gone for that, but I have a huge head. So I had to go for the GR8, and I like it. But in AZ it kind of sucks not to have vents....

Hunter Mom
May. 9, 2010, 06:07 PM
FWIW, here is a photo (http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss56/dbeitz/2afd3b78.jpg)of my daughter in her JR8, taken standing still at about 6' away. The harness is almost impossible to tell from a GR8 even in this one.