PDA

View Full Version : Rule gurus, a little help?

Punkie
May. 6, 2010, 01:27 PM
So I have a horse doing the Pre-Greens this year which is all well and good. We have no plans to move him up to 3'6" until next year, but there is a 3'3" hunter derby at HITS one of the weeks we'll be there and I was unclear - based on the rule for my zone (1) and the rule for USEF - if this is legal or not.

The rule for USEF states: "3. Pre-Green - Unless USHJA Zone Committees submit their specifications by August 1st,
the following specifications will apply for the Pre-Green Hunter Divisions:
a. A Pre-Green Hunter is a horse of any age in his first year of showing over 3’ fences
at Regular Competitions or Eventing Competitions of the Federation or Equine Canada
or any national or international competition in any classes that require horses to jump 3’
or higher. <--- the wording of this confused me...it might be the fact that I'm running on 0 sleep and way behind on my work, but I'm not wrapping my head around this one.
b. Fences not to exceed 3’. <---- Am I correct in assuming that this is referring to divisions called "Pre-Green"?
c. A horse’s Pre-Green Status is not affected by showing as a three-year-old.)
d. All USHJA zone specifications submitted by August 1st and approved by USHJA
and USEF shall be enforced by USEF if not followed."

The MHC rulebook does not say anything about the pre-greens, just the green divisions themselves. the CHJA does mention the pre-greens but does not designate if showing a horse above 3'0" but still below 3'6" is considered a violation of the law.

I apologize for the length of the post, but it's the first time my trainer has run into this problem (it's all a little strange with these 3'3" divisions!), so we're all a little bit :confused:

Thanks!

toomanyponies
May. 6, 2010, 01:38 PM
You will not break his first year showing in the 3 3" - you will not however be able to move back down next year and show another year at 3' pregreen (assuming your zone allows 2 years at 3 pregreen).

Punkie
May. 6, 2010, 01:46 PM
Thanks!

We definitely have no plans to move him back down; he's ready for the 3'6" now physically and emotionally, but we had such a quiet show season last year, trainer wants to get some good miles on him in the pre-greens this year and wait to break his Green status until 2011.