PDA

View Full Version : makeshift jump standards?

TBDressage916
May. 6, 2010, 08:05 AM
I'm ready to start my dressage pony over some really low (max 2ft) jumps but I'm at a western barn and need something to use as standards. I don't really want to invest in "real" standards because we are just playing- so what can be safetly used as a low jump standard that you can find around the farm?

Right on Target
May. 6, 2010, 08:08 AM
cones work (like orange traffic cones). Come in a variety of heights.

BridalBridle
May. 6, 2010, 08:22 AM
Those plastic milk crates work well and go to Lowe's and buy SUPER CHEAP PVC white plumbing pipe for the pole. None of it has to be painted nor will rust and can be cleaned with a hose. Great for outdoor with weather wear. Horses don't eat them.
The milk crates also do well in a wash stall for putting wet sponges and brushes to dry and drain. The milk crates I get from my local grocery store and convenient store ...they just throw them away. If the horse wants to rub the poles....got to go out and actually buy a heavy wood pole. They set up well for small jumps, cavelettis, X jumps, oxers and stack them for larger jumps.
I do actually have a lot of real jumps but these milk cartons are great. We even use them for seats when lessons are being given. They make great leg wrap holders. If you put up hooks they'll hang on the wall anywhere. I sound like McGyver...:confused:

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
May. 6, 2010, 08:28 AM
Small square hay bales lined up.

sisu27
May. 6, 2010, 09:09 AM
Please do not use PVC poles, they are dangerous. I have seen two significant injuries from a PVC pole shattering (one career ending).

Plus, they are way too light and offer no consequences to the lazy horse.

You can build your own standards (a 4' pair) for about $25. 4"x4"s can be planed to make decent poles and can be purchased for about $7 each.

What can be safely used? "Real standards".

rideforthelaurels16
May. 6, 2010, 10:02 AM
I agree with hay bales lined up. You may be able to find those jump "blocks" on eBay for a decent price - and they'll always come in handy for doing cavaletti and such. If you have old tires kicking around, you can pile them up as standards. It's a little ghetto, but it works. ;)

alliekat
May. 6, 2010, 10:18 AM
We used to buy landscape timbers to use for poles. They are super cheap at around $3. They are only 8 ft long though. I have found that using them to school at home help when we went to shows. It helped my pony jump in the center of the jumps when we were at shows. I had mu husband cut down pine trees 12' and we are using those now. Work great. Good luck and have fun!!

AppendixQHLover
May. 6, 2010, 10:49 AM
Construction barrels
Milk Crates
Hay Bales

I went into the woods and found poles to use. REALLY long pieces of wood.

I had to be imaginative. Broke teenager. :D

Sacred_Petra
May. 6, 2010, 09:01 PM
5 gallon buckets from home depot are great.

I made my standards (short ones) for 8 bucks and a box of nails. If you ask around people usually have 2x4s sitting around to make the base, and if you buy 1 8' 4x4, you can make 2, 4' standards. It took my dad and me 1 hour to make them. I even made jump cups in about 15 minutes with some spare plywood, some short pieces of 1x2s, and a carriage bolt and wing nut per cup.

Poles are really easy to get cheap at any hardware store, and are a lot more durable than pvc.

If they barrel race at your barn, you can make crossrails easily by tipping the barels on their sides and using them to hold the poles.

if you have small trashcans around your house, they work well too.

I've used the seats of folding chairs. So long as you set the poles close to the edges, they fall easily if they get knocked (almost too easily).

If they have roping dummies, you can set poles up on them just like the barrels.

Can you tell I ride at a western barn too? I sympathize with your plight, but I will say that making jump standards was a really fun, easy project for a nice day.