PDA

View Full Version : Butet on Ebay, what do you think?

Zanny
May. 5, 2010, 09:55 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/18-FREDERIC-BUTET-SAUMUR-SADDLE-/130386901865?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5baa3b69

JA
May. 5, 2010, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't trust it. The seller has zero feedback and the description is a little off.... It's a 1995 model and still looks "brand new". Has it been hidden in the sellers garage for 15 years and they just found it? Something is not right here

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
May. 5, 2010, 10:28 PM
Nope.

Somermist
May. 5, 2010, 10:30 PM
Been buying/selling on ebay for a long time. I agree, Nope!:D

Zanny
May. 5, 2010, 10:35 PM
Just so tempted, hahaha. But you are right it looks so fake, and only two bidders running it up...

Justice
May. 6, 2010, 12:29 AM
I agree that it looks to good to be true. However, you never can tell. Why don't you email them and ask if someone can come look at the saddle in person for you? If they say no, it's a scam. If they say yes, it's probably the real deal and you can find a friendly COTHER to go check it out for you. I've gone to the track for COTHERs and had all sorts of interesting adventures.

Zanny
May. 6, 2010, 12:43 AM
worth a try :)

mvp
May. 6, 2010, 07:52 AM
For the price it's at now, I'd take the risk.

Unsure? Ask for the serial number and call Bevals to ask about fakery. Or have them take pics of the parts you'd like-- the nailhead, whatever other parts you are worried about.

But the bidding frenzy at the end might answer your question for you. Do your research and think hard about how much you'd pay given the other used Bevals floating around. This one, for it's being almost new, may get crazy expensive.

sansibar
May. 6, 2010, 08:20 AM
I cannot believe that is a 95 model, it looks like a brand new model.... :confused:

majanick
May. 6, 2010, 08:33 AM
I emailed the person about that saddle. because I was also wary. It took her serveral days to get back to me and when she did, she said she was mistaken and it was a 16 and not an 18 seat. The whole thing seems odd. I thought maybe it was stolen, if the saddle even exists for real. I am staying clear.

MintHillFarm
May. 6, 2010, 10:43 AM
I cannot believe that is a 95 model, it looks like a brand new model.... :confused:

YES. It looks very much like my 2005. It has also been ridden in more like 40 times or more (not that it's a big deal)...

I agree on tracing the serial #, though if it is not the size you want, don't waste your time...

Belair
May. 6, 2010, 11:57 AM
If you do pay with PayPal, though, you do have some protection. If you don't get the saddle or it is not as described, they're pretty good about getting you your money back. If the seller hasn't used ebay before, or has only sold several items, PayPal holds the money for about a month before releasing it to the seller in case of problems.

danceronice
May. 6, 2010, 12:01 PM
Ebay also now has a reimbursement buyer protection policy. If you never got it, or got it and it's a fake, and the seller vanishes, eBay will reimburse you.

If it's stolen, they're pretty dumb putting the serial number up there. But I would check and make sure it's a Butet serial number before bidding.

ExJumper
May. 6, 2010, 12:02 PM
I emailed the person about that saddle. because I was also wary. It took her serveral days to get back to me and when she did, she said she was mistaken and it was a 16 and not an 18 seat. The whole thing seems odd. I thought maybe it was stolen, if the saddle even exists for real. I am staying clear.

There is a pretty substantial difference between someone who rides in a 16" and someone who rides in a 18" saddle. And if they have a $$$ saddle, you'd think they would know the difference.

I'd stay clear of it.

Sakura Hill Farm
May. 6, 2010, 12:10 PM
I have nothing to add regarding this specific saddle.

I simply wanted to add that we sold our Butet on Ebay a few years ago and it was an entirely satisfactory experience. We had purchased the saddle new through Beval's in Connecticut. As I did not know at the time how to take and upload photos, we had an professional Ebay seller do the job for us, at some considerable cost. ( Actually, they took a percentage of the price at which it sold and would have received nothing had it not sold.) Still, "no fuss no muss" and an easy sell to a satisfied customer.

Tini Sea Soldier
May. 6, 2010, 12:13 PM
Long Island City isn't exactly horse country either.

Seems fishy to me. My guess is that they backpedalled on the sizing bc the pic shows the stamp that deems it a 16, not an 18. Someone else probably questioned it.

I'd play along and say you have a friend that lives in NYC that wants to come see it and can make it out that evening. LIC is about 2 subway stops away from midtown... see if they are obliging.