PDA

View Full Version : So what's the story about Lizzie Traband?

katie+tru
May. 5, 2010, 07:21 PM
Is she as legitimate as her website and her family farm's site make her out to be? Because frankly, I have a hard time seeing an 11 year old as being a "clinician" or "trainer" of any degree. Especially with trick training and stunt riding.

And then she apparently shows hunters too. Is she any good in the show ring?

I'm just curious because I've seen her pop up a few times around the internet and I was wondering what other people feel about her "Taiji Horsemanship" and general riding.

IMHO, she seems like an girl who only gets the attention she does because she has a disability and can do some tricks.

Beenthere
May. 5, 2010, 09:03 PM
a friend of mine boarded with them and said the child is quite inspiring but the parents are a bit much and pushing the kid more than they should....they spend more time worrying about the kid then taking care of their boarders

Cruise Control
May. 5, 2010, 09:41 PM
I saw her ride a big moving hunter last fall in harrisburg at the Pennsylvania state 4-H finals. I t was a very crowded ring and she rode beautifully.

equidae
May. 5, 2010, 10:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLFYigeVinU

KateKat
May. 6, 2010, 10:56 AM
she may be a good little rider, but the website reads like it was written by an 11 year old. I had to stop reading it...if she wants to be taken a little more seriously, someone needs to go in there and do some editing.

InWhyCee Redux
May. 6, 2010, 10:59 AM
IMHO, she seems like an girl who only gets the attention she does because she has a disability and can do some tricks.

Well, she obviously can ride, and she has a disability that one would think would make it more difficult for her to ride, so, yes, why wouldn't she get attention?

The "Taiji Horsemanship" part of the Website strikes me as slick marketing, though — not the work of a horse-crazy 11-year-old.

Nootka
May. 6, 2010, 11:14 AM
Well, she obviously can ride, and she has a disability that one would think would make it more difficult for her to ride, so, yes, why wouldn't she get attention?

The "Taiji Horsemanship" part of the Website strikes me as slick marketing, though — not the work of a horse-crazy 11-year-old.

I agree 100% with this:yes:

I have never heard of her til now. Yes, she can ride and she has Tommie Turvey marketing her..lol. Despite her disability she is a lucky kid. I bet she is not the only one handed person riding in the world

Ozone
May. 6, 2010, 11:19 AM
I like the horse! :)

bascher
May. 6, 2010, 11:21 AM
I can't comment as to the whole trainer, clinician, and everything else thing, but I have seen her ride at horse shows (just schooling though) and I thought she was a very good rider. The schooling rings were very crowded and she handled it better than some of the other people trying to school!

ExJumper
May. 6, 2010, 11:27 AM
It looks like she attaches the left rein to a strap on her left upper arm using a snap of some sort? I had to look at a lot of her jumping pictures to see that, though. I distinctly saw a double end snap in one picture. Although in a few other pictures she appeared to have her left arm tucked along her side. Of course, in the bridleless pictures it isn't an issue!

For those who have seen her in person, am I seeing that right?

libgrrl
May. 6, 2010, 11:41 AM
They used to use a fixed strap that was connected to her hook. Now they use some sort of stretchy band that "gives" more.

They're local, so we see them at the shows. She's a good kid.

Mimi La Rue
May. 6, 2010, 04:44 PM
I've never heard of her until just now, but looking at her website, what an amazing girl she is.

TSWJB
May. 6, 2010, 06:08 PM
i was pretty impressed with the girl and her horses! wow what a disability she has and she looks so relaxed and at ease jumping her horses. i wonder if she would ever do the equitation? she looks like she could be a winner!

Ghazzu
May. 6, 2010, 06:20 PM

I have never heard of her til now. Yes, she can ride and she has Tommie Turvey marketing her..lol. Despite her disability she is a lucky kid. I bet she is not the only one handed person riding in the world

Nope.
I had a boarder many years ago who was missing part of an arm.
She was so competent I never even noticed it until one day she asked me for help tightening a girth on her youngster.

ExJumper
May. 6, 2010, 06:34 PM
I was curious as to if there was anything forbidding a rider from attaching the reins to his or her body -- kind of like how it is illegal to tie your stirrups to your feet or to your girth. There is NOTHING about it in the hunter or eq section, except of course, stipulations about the hand position that clearly wouldn't apply to Lizzy. There are also stipulations about picking up all your reins at the same time, etc.

However, there is some very specific stuff about it in the dressage section, and they even have a secion about disabled riders.

DR117 The Position and Aids of the Rider.
3. Riding with both hands is obligatory at all national and International Dressage Events.
However, riding with one hand is permitted in the Freestyle Tests and when leaving the arena.
Individuals holding a Federation Dispensation Certificate may use bridged or special adaptive
reins for use with one or no hand(s), if their physical limitations require such and the equipment
is listed on the Dispensation Certificate.

So it seems like if she wanted to show rated stuff -- or even the big eq -- there would be a protocol for a dispensation for riding with one hand. I would hope that it wouldn't be counted against her in the eq.

The kid looks great and her horses are cute! I can't speak to the level of her involvement in her own marketing, though!

Dun Ciarain
May. 6, 2010, 06:53 PM

While I was training in Ireland, there was a rider who rode cross-county and only had the use of one arm. He managed to ride at 1.1m+ heights with no problem using just one hand. Of course, the place where I was training actually trained all their riders how to jump without reins (something that isn't seen too often anymore in the US due to liability issues and a litigious society).

Tha Ridge
May. 6, 2010, 06:56 PM
I don't know about her as a "trainer" or "clinician" or whatever, but I watched a few of the videos on the site and I think she looks soft and effective. If I needed a pony jock, I definitely wouldn't discount her!

katie+tru
May. 6, 2010, 06:57 PM
While I was training in Ireland, there was a rider who rode cross-county and only had the use of one arm. He managed to ride at 1.1m+ heights with no problem using just one hand. Of course, the place where I was training actually trained all their riders how to jump without reins (something that isn't seen too often anymore in the US due to liability issues and a litigious society).

We jump without reins at our barn a lot, actually. Started doing that when I was like, 14. Definitely beneficial to anyone who jumps, at any level.

DancingQueen
May. 6, 2010, 07:43 PM
I don't know anything about this particular girl, but I distinctly remember seeing a photo of a girl without any arms at all jumping a 3ft something oxer.
She had her reins attached to the stirrups and did her steering with her feet. Over the top of the jump you could see her lower leg coming forward to follow her horses mouth. Pretty cool but i'm guessing it would be hard to do over bigger jumps!

Sing Mia Song
May. 6, 2010, 08:03 PM
Nope.
I had a boarder many years ago who was missing part of an arm.
She was so competent I never even noticed it until one day she asked me for help tightening a girth on her youngster.

And back about, oh 1983 or so, there was a girl in CT who did the jumpers and had about the same length of limb as this girl appears to have. One of her reins ended in a loop that she would put around the end of her humerus.

I believe she would actually introduce herself as "Lefty." :lol:

forward ride
May. 6, 2010, 08:05 PM

Yup, the polo coach at my college had a malformed hand so he couldn't really grasp anything. I saw him riding a few times and I think he like lashes the reins to that "hand" and then used his good hand for the polo mallet thingy. Still, makes it awfully difficult to release and adjust the reins.

Good for her...she's living the dream of many a young girl.

onelanerode
May. 6, 2010, 09:34 PM
She rides better than I do, and I have full use of both arms. Good on her. :)

Love the horse too, she looks like a very kind mare.

hntrjmprpro45
May. 6, 2010, 09:54 PM
I have taught a few disabled young riders and have noticed that they tend to have much more coordination and body awareness than other young riders, mostly because of spending so much time in physical therapy. Sometimes having disadvantages makes kids more mature and ultimately more successful than others. She is certainly a fantastic little rider and I hope she continues to ride!

MichiganHunter91
May. 6, 2010, 10:13 PM
Wow she is really good! I've never heard of her till now. She has tons of potential and she is a role model for all young riders. I don't even ride that good or have as much confidence as she does lol

crazyhorses
May. 7, 2010, 02:06 PM
Aw, she's cute <3

I knew a girl here that did high levels of dressage (not sure what level) with only one arm. The first time I saw her riding, I didn't know. But she did Amazing. I bet some of you know her! haha

TSWJB
May. 7, 2010, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE=ExJumper;4850384]
So it seems like if she wanted to show rated stuff -- or even the big eq -- there would be a protocol for a dispensation for riding with one hand. I would hope that it wouldn't be counted against her in the eq.
QUOTE]
i seriously doubt a judge would mark her down due to having one hand! the way that girl rides, i was thinking eq star to myself!

NorthFaceFarm
May. 7, 2010, 02:26 PM
She looks pretty good, but I'm far more interested in that awesome gray horse of hers.

Aven
May. 7, 2010, 02:30 PM
She looks like a lovely rider, and a happy child.

But what is up with the fascination with riding bridleless? Do people really find it that impressive?

(cause if they do, and someone wants to loan me an 11 year old child I have a very pretty small white mare who jumps courses, hacks, and does leg yielding, and shoulder in with just a rope around her neck...)

As a role model and motivational speaker she is rockin. But not sure how I feel about her being called a clinician though..

rwh
May. 7, 2010, 02:36 PM
But what is up with the fascination with riding bridleless? Do people really find it that impressive?

I was thinking this too...basically what shes doing is neck reining with a rope instead of reins, no?

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 7, 2010, 02:45 PM
I think the hype about riding bridleless (which I suppose is...just something else to do that someone decided would be impressive...) is that the horse's head is completely free. In my mind it makes sense that a horse's "weakest" point is its head- as in, we put halters on horses instead of collars because their necks are a lot stronger than their polls, which is a very useful breakover point in terms of control and submission (think turning a runaway in a tight circle or using a low opening rein on a rearer). I also relate this to dogs that tend to pull being walked in those head harness things- the neck/shoulders are "broken over", disabling the dog from leaning into a collar or shoulder harness in a way that makes them more like pulling a cart or whatever. Take away that control and you're demonstrating... something...

Even western horses that neck rein go in something on their heads, and more often than not, a bit for extra control.

ElfMaian
May. 7, 2010, 02:50 PM
I have a question: Where did she get her horses? Did she get them untrained? Are they highly bred, or are they just "regular horses"? Did she do all the training? Or did her parents? Or were they bought at top dollar, trained, and ready to go?

I am impressed with her riding, and she has some lovely horses.

RacetrackReject
May. 7, 2010, 02:50 PM
There was a girl in Area V (eventing) that rode who only had one leg. I believe she went up to training level. She was awesome and very inspiring and I loved seeing her around the area events.

Aven
May. 7, 2010, 03:01 PM
I think the hype about riding bridleless (which I suppose is...just something else to do that someone decided would be impressive...) is that the horse's head is completely free.

But its not hard. If you train it its like anything else with horses. I think its impressive because people assume its hard and never play around with it. I have had a few horses over the years where I have played with this, its not particularly hard or difficult. (my one mare is a pretty hot horse and she listens quite well to a neck rope). Any calm well trained horse should have no real issues with going bridleless.

As I said someone loan me a ridey child and I can make some great videos too of brideless stuff. Riding brideless doesn't make you a better rider, in fact in some ways its easier as you don't have to worry about catching the horse in the mouth, and the rope moves less than reins do, due to not being connected to the head.

suniday
May. 7, 2010, 03:06 PM
Quite a few (if not all) of their horses are homebreds. Elizabeth Solter used (still does??) to start their horses in the hunter ring.

SquishTheBunny
May. 7, 2010, 03:49 PM
Impressive!!

I especially liked the bareback/no bridle ride on her pony.

I have a push button, easy to sit, schooled to death hunter - and if I tried to ride him with no reins/no saddle I would be off in 15 seconds guaranteed.

She looks like a very talented rider!!! I would take a lesson from her in a heartbeat!

Aven
May. 7, 2010, 04:31 PM
Why would you take lessons from her? Honestly curious? Would you take lessons from me? I can do that too (and have taught people ride).

Why not want to take lessons from those who taught her?

(and if your horse neck reins you could try bridleless, start with a rope around the neck and the bridle and go from there... Its like training a horse to stop with the bit. Its not like you just tack up a greenie and assume they know what it means. If the horse stops off mostly your seat the transition to bridleless should only take a few rides. Its a neat trick, but does not denote actual ability for anything other than trick training..)

twobays
May. 7, 2010, 06:15 PM

I mean...I don't think anyone would dispute that. The attention is BECAUSE she's a novelty.

GoshenNY
May. 13, 2010, 03:57 PM
To ElfMainian

I met Lizzy's mom years ago, they were shopping for ponies for Lizzy and explained her disability to me,,,, I told them I had nice quiet youngsters that could do the divisions,,,,they ended up buying five of mine,,,,, as a breeder I could not be prouder of my ponies and could not be happier with the home the ponies got,,,,I sold the ponies as long yearlings, all very well handled and bomb proof.

Here is a link to Set In Silver
http://www.youtube.com/user/ACTraband#p/u/27/EW_axp7RImM

I sold them Seabreese, Shams Leo the Lion, Shams Celtic Knite and Fenton, full sib to Seabreese
Regards,
J

RacetrackReject
May. 13, 2010, 04:42 PM
Color me confused. The video says she picked the pony out at auction. In reality, she bought the pony from you? Or did I misunderstand?

netg
May. 13, 2010, 05:18 PM

We jump without reins at our barn a lot, actually. Started doing that when I was like, 14. Definitely beneficial to anyone who jumps, at any level.

I'm by no means a serious, high level, experienced jumper... but used to have to do courses with no stirrups/reins on a regular basis. It's great for teaching you to look where you're going instead of down, and keep your legs still. I didn't know it wasn't a "normal" thing until I mentioned it and had people with far more jumping experience/knowledge tell me they didn't think they could have managed. I didn't think it was an impressive feat at all!

Apparently, yes! I grew up reading The Black Stallion, so decided I would learn to ride bridleless/bareback. Started by tying the reins to the handle on a bareback pad, and eventually lost the tack. It taught me to use my seat and steer with my weight/legs instead of the reins, but was no huge impressive thing... it certainly made the no reins jumping I mentioned above easier for me, though!

I had a friend with only 1 arm in college. We just made sure the other schools had horses who could neck rein for her to ride. As someone who started out in a western saddle, I don't see why riding 1 handed is that big a deal - the bigger deal to me is her ability to stay so balanced and centered looking, because when your body isn't even your balance is naturally not even in your seat bones, etc., and she looks like a lovely little rider.

GoshenNY
May. 13, 2010, 07:36 PM
Color me confused. The video says she picked the pony out at auction. In reality, she bought the pony from you? Or did I misunderstand?

No you read correctly,,,I met them at an Eastern Sport horse sale,,,,,they had bred a mare to get a pony and the foal had died. They Fell in love with Silver and Seabreese and we kept intouch. The following year they bought three more from me.

This youngster Celtic Knite they sold to a young lady who did all this pony by herself and now she may buy his full sib,,,,small world
http://www.youtube.com/user/BlakeistheBomb#p/a/u/1/X60deXyvqP8