PDA

View Full Version : First show and more Q's about Eq's!

fearless_intheirons
May. 5, 2010, 04:26 PM
Hey all,

A month from now (middle of nowhere's-ville's shows start late!) my horse and I will be going to our first show together! He has tons of show experience and is fine off the property, so no worries there.

This will be my first hunter/jumper show (came from the dark side - QH showing... JK!), and it is unrated and just a fun show. The "Sr. Eq." is very low, so jumps are not an issue. My horse is a former 1.30m horse, but he takes a lot of leg for the flat and won many hunters, and is like a jumper-style eq. horse. :)

I am only doing one "division", which is one flat and one over fences for the Eq. (where I'm from is VERY new to H/J so they are still learning about how shows run.. hehe).

So, what do I expect from an Eq. flat? The judge is from a Trillium barn (her website says they don't do much showing... but I think she judges Trillium shows too) and I have clinic'ed with her before. Oh, also, I may do a clinic with her the evening before the show to do a course on the grounds and let her see my pretty pony hehehe!!

So in an Eq./Medal type flat, do you sit the canter? (I have been trying to watch videos to see but don't really know..) What should I expect (re: the judge's experience) in the ways of dropping the irons, etc.?

Any other tips on Eq's? :) I am not worried about sitting trot, etc. as I have been practicing HARD!!

Thanks so much!!! :D

fearless_intheirons
May. 5, 2010, 05:11 PM
Oh also, I don't have leather boots for the O/F and have seen people in Climatex/T-sport type polos in Eq's... is that okay? :)

SquareOxer
May. 5, 2010, 05:22 PM
Oh, I think you're coming to the dark side :cool:

The eq flat is pretty simple, just WTC both ways, a sitting trot, maybe an extended trot and perhaps an extended canter. It's mostly just putting horsey through his paces and riding in correct form.

Your boots/wraps sound fine, I know people who show with eskadrons, polos, anything really. Leather isn't mandatory, especially not at local shows. Or you could go bare legged if your horse doesn't interfere, makes no difference fashion-wise.

Seat: It's typically ridden with a slightly heavier seat than the hunters, since it's more about flaunting you than your horse. A winning Eq flatter usually has a mannerly horse and the most solid and correct position- if you school your horse in a frame this would be the time to show off how good you guys look, instead of going long & low hunter style.

I think that covers it.... Have fun at that first show :)

Hunter Mom
May. 5, 2010, 07:38 PM
You may also need to do a sitting trot, drop stirrups, etc. depending on the level of your class. You also want to keep a bit more contact with the mouth than you would for a hunter under saddle. If you NEED boots, any will suffice at a local level I'm sure.

Limone
May. 5, 2010, 08:03 PM
one thing no one seemed to mention is you can't do a clinic with the judge the day before... you can't show under a judge that you have had a lesson/help from in the past 30 days. other than that have fun

sansibar
May. 5, 2010, 08:13 PM
Hey all,

A month from now (middle of nowhere's-ville's shows start late!) my horse and I will be going to our first show together! He has tons of show experience and is fine off the property, so no worries there.

This will be my first hunter/jumper show (came from the dark side - QH showing... JK!), and it is unrated and just a fun show. The "Sr. Eq." is very low, so jumps are not an issue. My horse is a former 1.30m horse, but he takes a lot of leg for the flat and won many hunters, and is like a jumper-style eq. horse. :)

I am only doing one "division", which is one flat and one over fences for the Eq. (where I'm from is VERY new to H/J so they are still learning about how shows run.. hehe).

So, what do I expect from an Eq. flat? The judge is from a Trillium barn (her website says they don't do much showing... but I think she judges Trillium shows too) and I have clinic'ed with her before. Oh, also, I may do a clinic with her the evening before the show to do a course on the grounds and let her see my pretty pony hehehe!!

So in an Eq./Medal type flat, do you sit the canter? (I have been trying to watch videos to see but don't really know..) What should I expect (re: the judge's experience) in the ways of dropping the irons, etc.?

Any other tips on Eq's? :) I am not worried about sitting trot, etc. as I have been practicing HARD!!

Thanks so much!!! :D

With the Trillium thrown in there I am assuming you are in Ontario?

The equitations on the trillium circuit are pretty good to get your feet wet. If you are in Canada you will not be asked to drop your stirrups because of the rule in place where the stirrups need to be removed from the saddle. No one uses boots except in the jumper medal class. I am not sure what zone you are in since I do not recognise the sr. equitation class (but there are a bunch of new divisions since the last time I did a trillium show). The last time I did the equitation on there was before they changed the no stirrup rule, but I have a video of the eq on the flat then so it gives you an idea, just imagine the same test except without the no stirrups part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-q2JeUdPWk (ignore how terrible I rode)

appychik
May. 5, 2010, 08:14 PM
one thing no one seemed to mention is you can't do a clinic with the judge the day before... you can't show under a judge that you have had a lesson/help from in the past 30 days. other than that have fun

I was wondering if this applied in the H/J world also, since I know it applies to the dressage arena.

OP, I'd definitely check about doing that clinic. Otherwise, do the clinic, have fun and ride without being judged (forget the saying we say in dressage...).

joiedevie99
May. 5, 2010, 08:54 PM
I believe OP means is a schooling show with a judge who also judges Trillium shows.

fearless_intheirons
May. 6, 2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks everyone!! And yes, it is just a judge who does Trillium shows... I thought that may help to get what to expect from the judge. :) Not actually trillium!!
Thanks again, you answered all my questions and MORE!!
Maybe I'll throw this in here and see if I get any responses: any good exercises to get ready for eq's over fences? I've done a million grids and because of that, need to work on single fences or courses. :) But anything will work!!!

Spooks
May. 6, 2010, 10:13 AM
For Eq o/f I usually practice doing a rollback (each direction, and make sure your leads are correct), broken lines, and trot fences. Those are the items that appear most in our classes here in Quebec. I have also been asked to add a stride in a line, and halt at some point on the course. It is a good idea to practice those things at home so you are prepared for whatever they put together for the course. Then, at the show, I review the course and go to the hitching ring to run through anything that I think may surprise my horse (e.g., if there is a trot fence I will do a couple in the hitching ring so it is fresh in his mind).

On the flat do not under any circumstances try and force your horse into a "frame" if he does not comfortably do that on his own for extended periods of time (not that you would do this, but sometimes people over-emphasize the need to do this in the ring so you end up doing things you ordinarily would not!). Just keep a steady contact with a straight line from elbow to mouth, with relaxed arms. If you are worried about sitting trot I find that warming up without stirrups for a few minutes helps you reach your legs down and around and it is easier to keep a nice seat when you pick up your stirrups again.

kkmggn
May. 9, 2010, 10:35 PM
omg yes you definatly should sit the canter in an eq flat. what else you do kinda depends on the flat. like if you were flatting for the maclay or uset youd probably have to do a lot of sit trot and counter canter and sometimes extended trot/ canter and a few times i've even had to drop my stirrups for a maclay flat. but at a smaller show probably just walk trot canter and sit trot and stuff but yes you do sit to the canter