PDA

View Full Version : Need help with coat sizing, RJ Classics and TS

RegentLion
May. 5, 2010, 01:20 PM
I need to buy a new coat. I really want a black check (either black on black or some subtle color on black). It will be for SJ in events.

I like the look of some RJ classics coats as well as some TS coats. I don't really have time to order several and then try them on and then exchange if they don't fit.

I figure that I'm about a size 0 Short in the RJ Classics-- 33 bust, 26-27 waist depending on where I measure. I'm 5' so that puts me at a short. HOWEVER I am concerned about it being too small? Or the short being too short in the arms. But afraid the 2 will be too big. I usually wear a S or XS shirt. The butt is a whole other story!:lol:

Thoughts?

RJ Classics size chart: http://www.rjclassics.com/sizechart.phtml

What really has me confused is my SIL has a TS coat in size 8. She said the size 6 fit her but was a BIT tight and so we figure I'd be a size 4 TS based on our comparative sizes. How is it that I can be a 0 in RJ classics and a 4 in TS?

Thanks a bunch for any insight you have. My current coat has no size in it that I can find and while I love it dearly it is a light grey that doesn't really conform to the rules of "dark jacket" for the SJ phase of an event.

DMK
May. 5, 2010, 02:06 PM
I don't have any RJ coats, but I have Grand Prix, TS and Ariat.

The GPs go between a 12T and 14T (their sizing seems to be all over the place), The TS is an 8T (I have a 10T and it was a lot larger - needed to take it in, but it was a clearance item and worth it to get it altered). Ariat is closest to "real sizing at a 12T. In real sizes I am generally a 10, but I usually buy jackets/blazers in a 12 because I have freakishly long arms and the shoulders aren't to small from years of riding. I seem to recall the TS sleeves were reasonably long as well. (I'm 5'8 with a 34 bust).

danceronice
May. 5, 2010, 03:22 PM
FWIW, I bought a couple RJ coats on clearance, and to me they ran large. But I don't think they were Short, just Regular.

Sizes are manufacturer, not really industry, so what's 0 in one could be 4 in another.

JBCool
May. 5, 2010, 04:23 PM
I'm 5'2" and I tried the RJ Classics a few years ago. At the time, I was almost exactly your size (110 lbs, 33-4" bust and 25-6" waist) and the size 2 short fit me. I'd be more worried the 0 would be too small than the 2 too big. (You can always wear & tailor one that's too big, too small is just too small).

I haven't tried the TS coats, though.

RolyPolyPony
May. 5, 2010, 05:10 PM
If you're exactly the measurements for a size in the RJ, I'd go one size up - I ordered a 2L and while it fit, it didn't give me much wiggle room - you know, like room to ride! I went up a size and it's perfect.

(this is for the Essentials line - I can't say how the other pricier lines fit!)

Ty2003
May. 6, 2010, 12:33 PM
I'm about the same size as you (I wear a 0 or 2 petite in regular clothes) and I usually get the 2S in RJ stuff. I CAN wear a 0R but it is much more fitted through the bust (and I'm about a 32). If I were you I'd go with the 2S...as someone else said, you can always tailor it.

Of course, depending on the RJ jacket style, the fit might vary, too. I know when I tried a bunch on at the Equine Affaire, some 2S were more generous than others.