PDA

View Full Version : OTTB Classes @ Upperville

NorthFaceFarm
May. 5, 2010, 01:16 PM
Can anyone tell me about the "TB Hunter Development," "Back from the Track Hack" and "Too Slow to Go" classes at Upperville? I have read the descriptions in the prize list, just wondering what the typical entries are like. Are they usually WAY off the track as in quiet, suitable and super fancy to show in regular divisions, or are there lots of green beans?

Would like to take our first OTTB to Upperville for fun/experience since I have others going. She is training for the jumper ring, but I'm not comfortable with putting her in the 1.0m classes at a show of this size just yet. I could send her into the AA Hunters with no hope of pinning and just getting the experience for her, but if these TB classes present a better option I'd rather go that route. Mind you, she does have hunter movement and a pretty cute jump. She even has a lovely "hunter mode" when tired, but she's not polished enough to stand a chance in the AA's at Upperville.

loshad
May. 5, 2010, 01:39 PM
It's usually a combination of horses who are very, very fancy, horses whose owners are just there to have fun, and horses who are more or less green. I've taken mine the past couple of years (fancy and greenish) and he did very well last year even with my monkey riding. It's a nice, comparatively inexpensive way to get a new TB out to a big show.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 5, 2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for. Since it's just up the road from us and I'd like to see how she is in a big show environment, I think we'll give it a shot :)

chunky munky
May. 5, 2010, 09:01 PM
It is a great fun way to bring an ottb out with no pressure. That being said, there are plenty of them there. You may have one that wants to win the race:-)

monalisa
May. 6, 2010, 09:20 AM
Have you been to the new OTTB series at the Virginia Horse Center? The next show is in June. GREAT shows, very inexpensive and fun if you have an OTTB.

Everythingbutwings
May. 6, 2010, 09:37 AM
Are they usually WAY off the track as in quiet, suitable and super fancy to show in regular divisions, or are there lots of green beans?

We went the first year and had a marvelous time. As Loshad said, there are top A show horses with BNR's along with a goodly number of exracers all having a nice time.

There were about 40 in the Back from the track hack when Trixie took Wings. The weather was gorgeous that day and I was so happy to have pics of our boy (http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL936/3762429/10700270/154199794.jpg)in that ring. :)

NorthFaceFarm
May. 6, 2010, 12:00 PM
monalisa - Yes I have heard of those, but I'm not traveling that far just for the TB's ;) I can't afford to go all the way there just for one horse. I go where the bulk of my clients want to go.

For the Dev. class - I don't see any heights listed in the prize list. Insight?

Isabeau Z Solace
May. 6, 2010, 12:36 PM
pics of our boy [/URL]in that ring. :)

Sweet.

Everythingbutwings
May. 6, 2010, 12:55 PM
232. THOROUGHBRED HUNTER DEVELOPMENT CLASS
Entry Fee $35.00
Use Yellow Entry Form (List Sire & Dam)

The Rosecroft Challenge Trophy

Donated by W. Gary Baker

Open to thoroughbreds only. To be shown under registered Jockey Club name, if known. If
Jockey Club papers not available, must be able to list TB sire and dam. To be shown over a
course of eight fences with horses jumping their respective heights. At least 12 shall be called
back to work under saddle both ways of the ring. Horses shall then be lined up and judged on
conformation. Horses need not strip and any racing adornments will be overlooked except in
relation to soundness. Over fences to count 60%, under saddles 25%, conformation 15%.
Trophy and Eight Ribbons

I'm pretty sure 2'9" was the starting point. Depends on what other divisions the individual would be qualified to enter.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 6, 2010, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I wasn't sure what was meant by "their respective heights". 2'9" or 3' would be fine for this pair. Neither horse or rider is showing in any other section.

SidesaddleRider
May. 6, 2010, 01:59 PM
If I remember correctly, the TB Dev. class starts at 3' (as that is the lowest o/f hunter height in any horse division at Upperville), then goes up from there.

When I rode in the class 2 (3?) years ago, I think they just left them at 3', as the class didn't even start until 8 PM, and it was getting too dark too quickly to worry about adjusting fence heights. ;)

I'll have a guy there this year to do the Too Slow to Go and TB Hntr Dev class: http://www.cherryblossomfarm.net/Jeffrey.html

Rockfish
May. 6, 2010, 03:13 PM
I'll be there for the Back From the Track and the Development classes :)

NorthFaceFarm
May. 6, 2010, 03:29 PM
Cool! Hopefully we can meet some of you :) We'll be the ones with the extremely tiny chestnut w/2 socks and 2 stockings who looks like a jumper in a hunter costume.