PDA

View Full Version : Rein contact in eq flat--UPDATE: We placed 2nd!

GoodAsGold
May. 5, 2010, 01:24 PM
I'm taking my horse to a very tiny schooling show next weekend (First show in three years! We're excited). There are only two flat classes for 13 and up and I'd like to take him in both, but one is eq and I've never done any eq. We've mainly done hunters.

Can someone tell me how much rein contact judges typically like to see in an eq flat class? It would be very helpful. I'm not super concerned about the ribbons but I would like to do my best!

Thanks!

UPDATE: Thanks all you COTHers! My horse and I did great in the eq and placed 2nd in a class of 7. I was very very happy with it and was thrilled I knew how much contact to give during this class. I know it made a huge difference. Thanks again!

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
May. 5, 2010, 02:05 PM
At a tiny schooling show I wouldn't expect it to matter much.

However, I'd aim to ride in a soft frame. More collected than a hunter frame, not as upright as a jumper or dressage frame. So as much contact as you need for that. Some horses it will be more more than others.

But I'd go with a soft contact. No loop in the reins, but still be soft.

sptraining
May. 5, 2010, 02:14 PM
Agree with the above poster. The horse should be in a frame, not strung out, but not looking like you're going to send him into an sidepass at any moment. The contact is also helpful when the judge says: sitting trot, extended posting trot, halt...all in a matter of seconds.

At a schooling show, they probably won't be that mean, but a light contact wouldn't hurt you.

GoodAsGold
May. 5, 2010, 02:25 PM
Oh good. That's pretty much what I was expecting, but I just wanted to make sure.

Yikes. Extended posting trot to a halt? Guess I'm going out and practicing today.

sptraining
May. 5, 2010, 02:56 PM
I doubt they'll do that to you at a schooling show...

One of my favorite work-off tests was handgallop down the long side and halt halfway down in front of the judge.

There's a couple judges that I showed in front of that had marathon test. Sitting trot, drop irons, posting trot, pick up irons at posting trot, canter, halt, reverse, canter, handgallop, drop irons, rising trot...I was exhausted by the time I was done. Most of the time though it's straightforward: posting trot, sitting trot, canter, reverse.

showhorsegallery
May. 5, 2010, 03:00 PM
There's a couple judges that I showed in front of that had marathon test. Sitting trot, drop irons, posting trot, pick up irons at posting trot, canter, halt, reverse, canter, handgallop, drop irons, rising trot...I was exhausted by the time I was done.

That sounds way more fun and interesting than most WTC classes where you do each gait around the arena in both directions (with maybe a sitting trot thrown in occasionally) and then they have you line up to announce the winner.

findeight
May. 5, 2010, 03:01 PM
I dunno about the extended posting trot to a halt at a tiny schooling show-but alot of judges at these will want a halt.

Listen, especially at this level, just go ride your horse the way you have been. Don't try to master 50 new ways to do things. At small shows, basics are the biggie-mainly position and posture at the 3 basic gaits and a proper halt. The finer points rarely come into play.

In general, the biggest difference in Eq and the Hunters would be you sit the canter and light contact in the Eq. Don't try to "frame" the horse unless you routinely do so at home. Just don't leave any big old loop in the reins. Practice sharp transitions up and down, the almost always asked for sitting trot and that halt.

RELAX, eyes up, heels down, thumbs up and fingers closed. Those are the things small shows are really looking for. Not the totally different ride on a totally different horse you see on the elite levels.

GoodAsGold
May. 5, 2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all your help. I will definately go practice halting (from a regular halt)...but I'll won't worry too much about everything else.

Findeight, I have do a lot of dressage with my horse so he is certainly accustomed to being in a frame, I just wanted to know how much eq judges want. What I'm understanding from the replies is that it's a lot less contact than a dressage frame but more than a hunter frame. Maybe in the middle?

Oh quick, one more thing--If they ask for the sitting trot, can I collect him? Or do I just sit a medium trot?

sptraining
May. 5, 2010, 03:48 PM
Yes, you can slow his trot down for the sitting trot. It's recommended. :)