PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a sane, kid proof pony????

sar2008
May. 5, 2010, 01:23 PM
This is a cross post from off course, but ironically, I am looking for the exact same thing.

UGH! I need help! Where do I find a 15yo dead quiet toddler safe pony?!?! (I know- the entire world wants one for $100). I've looked at all the online ads, area papers, area farms, etc. Seems like no one wants to sell if they even have one! I've found one or two for lease, but there is no way I can give the pony back after having it 5 years- dd would be devastated.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

englishivy
May. 5, 2010, 02:01 PM
What kind of pony for a toddler? One to do leadline and work into w/t? Or to start off at w/t & go into crossrails? Show winner or just a good teacher that can show (but maybe not pin)? What exactly? If you just need a xrails pony, there should be some older smalls you can get reasonably priced. If you need a babysitter for leadline, why not go the mini route and upgrade later?

I just bought a 10.2 hh pony last week for my 3.5 DD. I can tell you that a pony for leadline through xrails for that young a kid isn't easy to find, especially since I didn't want to pay out an arm and leg. Fortunately the pony I purchased had the opposite problem as your situation: the owner wanted to sell, and all her prospects just wanted to lease. I won out b/c I was willing to buy.

My suggestion is twofold:

1) Always keep an eye on the market and be prepared to move when you find one. I've been watching the market since DD was 2 looking for the right one, and I willingly expanded my search to surrounding states since there weren't many options in mine. I also wasn't going to try to negotiate price (unless something MAJOR turned up in my basic PPE) b/c a true gem like this is hard to find...either I could afford it or not.

2)Ask your vet, farrier, chiro, etc. if they know of anyone with what you want. My vet flat out told me to "snatch up" our new pony, b/c if I needed to sell him for any reason, he had 5 trainers on the look out for just that type of pony for their kids/grandkids.

With the market starting to improve, the demand for toddler ponies is going to increase as new kids get into the sport. I think I just lucked out and the timing was right. Be patient and the right one will come along!!

Good luck!

Heineken
May. 5, 2010, 02:08 PM
Emily Elek, www.stonewallponies.com

sar2008
May. 5, 2010, 02:10 PM
Something she can learn to groom on, learn to pick out feet, something just her size. Something she can do W/T. Doesn't need to do anything more. Nothing fancy, no show winner. She isn't even doing anything but pony rides on my mom's 15.2 trail horse with me walking next to her, so I she won't be jumping any time soon :)

I am looking for something for life. Eventually, my mom is going to retire her oldie and he will need a companion. This pony will also be for that too. I have two horses currently, and both are over 16.2, which is WAY to big for my little one to even attempt to groom without me holding her!!!!

skrgirl
May. 5, 2010, 02:34 PM
I sent you an email

Sugarbrook
May. 5, 2010, 02:46 PM
I sent you an email.

headsup
May. 10, 2010, 07:31 PM
We always have a bunch of those around....I always seem to have a friends that need that first pony.

shawneeAcres
May. 10, 2010, 08:48 PM
THose kind are HARD TO FIND and when I have them they sell quickly! I have a very nice pony right now that is sane and great ground manners, she might be just a little too forward for a total beginner/tiny child, but a nice pony for a kid with 6 months or so under their belt

buschkn
May. 10, 2010, 10:27 PM
I wish I knew!! We got a lovely large pony who was billed as a great beginner's pony but is definitely too much for the timid 7yo we got her for, at least to ride alone, or off a lunge, etc. I would looove to find something dead broke and quiet for her to learn on. Any ideas are welcome, esp places that might do trades?

IBWmassage
May. 10, 2010, 10:49 PM
LOL....after teaching/training for a while and always being on the hunt for that pony, I'm already searching for a pony for my currently 9 month old. I think to start with, we're going with something in the 14H range that's stocky enough for DH to trail ride on the one weekend or so a month that he's interested. Since he needs the same energy and saneness level a toddler would need anyway.

Sugarbrook
May. 10, 2010, 11:00 PM
OP must not be searching too hard. I never even got an email back for info.. Hmmmm.......and you all, that know me, know I would never say I had something I didnt have.

kypeep
May. 10, 2010, 11:37 PM
I'm curious about the market for a certain type of pony. I've run across 2 darling ponies - one small and another medium - both of which have been trail ridden extensively and even used at pony parties. Very kid proof but no formal education as far as leads, etc., that is, not a "show horse" education so to speak. Do ponies like these have a market?

DiablosHalo
Jun. 25, 2010, 02:52 PM
I'm the one OP quoted and now have another question! I have finally found what seems like the perfect pony - except... I've had time to think since my original post and friends have influenced me. Advice needed...

Situation- dd has an adorable 2yo Shetland paint gelding. Onery and not broke. We do ground work with him but he's no where near being safe for dd to be around. I found someone to send him to this winter to break to and get some miles on him towards bombproofing (notice I say towards.. and know he'll not be bombproof in only 6m).

I found another adorable Shetland pony that looks almost just like him that is 6/7yo and doing shows, stands for anything, etc. Price is reasonable and he's within driving range to go look at.

Problem now- Friend has now discussed option of finding a 13h-ish pony (she's thinking haflinger bc that is what her 10yo kids have but I am not leaning twds them!) that is a BTDT pony and dd can do leadline on now- but also can take her all the way to her first little event or local hunter shows.

Which would you lean towards? I'm thinking no sense owning two 10h ponies for life and they can only be ridden for the next few years? Oh- now would be a good time to mention dd is 22m old. (yes 22m- she is taking lessons on friends mini, our mini donks, and doing great lead line stuff!).

sar2008
Jun. 25, 2010, 03:40 PM
I'm the one OP quoted and now have another question! I have finally found what seems like the perfect pony - except... I've had time to think since my original post and friends have influenced me. Advice needed...

Situation- dd has an adorable 2yo Shetland paint gelding. Onery and not broke. We do ground work with him but he's no where near being safe for dd to be around. I found someone to send him to this winter to break to and get some miles on him towards bombproofing (notice I say towards.. and know he'll not be bombproof in only 6m).

I found another adorable Shetland pony that looks almost just like him that is 6/7yo and doing shows, stands for anything, etc. Price is reasonable and he's within driving range to go look at.

Problem now- Friend has now discussed option of finding a 13h-ish pony (she's thinking haflinger bc that is what her 10yo kids have but I am not leaning twds them!) that is a BTDT pony and dd can do leadline on now- but also can take her all the way to her first little event or local hunter shows.

Which would you lean towards? I'm thinking no sense owning two 10h ponies for life and they can only be ridden for the next few years? Oh- now would be a good time to mention dd is 22m old. (yes 22m- she is taking lessons on friends mini, our mini donks, and doing great lead line stuff!).

My daughter is 22 months old also (and a new one on the way!) and I just got her a rescue from New Holland that is 14 hands. He is totally green, but I figure by the time she can actually be doing everything herself, he will be perfect for her. I will have plenty of time to put training into him for him to get ready for the kids. I say go for the bigger one. Before you know it, she will outgrow the mini and then you will--like you said--be stuck with two small ponies ;)

pwynnnorman
Jun. 25, 2010, 03:51 PM
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Consider getting/getting to a local or state or regional horse directory, magazine or website and calling up the pony breeders in there. Many are cutting back on their herds and some may have older broodmares who were such saints in their previous careers.

[Not referring to myself. I do, I think, know of at least two breeders whom one might categorize that way.]

Ooops! Silly me. I didn't realize the thread was older, making my post a bit irrelevant now. Sorry!

DiablosHalo
Jun. 25, 2010, 03:52 PM
AH! Congratulations!!! I am due with number 2 in December! Great minds must think alike!

I think the large pony is a great idea. My friend has the 10ish hand mini (in profile pic) she can ride right now. She also has an 11h pony we can ride. Both ponies have already done 2-4yrs of local leadline and costume classes so I think we'll just keep paying to ride them. I (of course) wanted it to be in the backyard. But she has enough here to keep her occupied!

Another friend of mine is trying to give us a beautiful blue roan mustang filly. About 13h. She's only 3 or 4 and again- unbroke but so sweet and in need of groceries and a good home (friends boss has her now). I haven't taken her- but like you said- by the time our dds get old enough to ride for real- we can have this one off and running as well. Hmmm...

TheJenners
Jun. 25, 2010, 05:06 PM
Is it weird that the ONLY time I feel maternal at all is when looking at ponies?

Limerick
Jun. 25, 2010, 05:41 PM
TheJenners-ponies can do that to you!!

hj4244
Jun. 25, 2010, 07:41 PM
I know a great small pony-great with kids and is absolutely ADORABLE. The only problem is, he has not been ridden all winter. With a bit of training he could be an absolute STAR w/t or w/t/c or even short stirrup-small ponies! He is a bit feisty, but that is just from the lack of riding. He loves being loved, brushed, petted, babied etc. VERY reasonable price!

llsc
Jun. 26, 2010, 11:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxB43sXb10A

I saw this on the other day on youtube. I know nothing about it, but it's adorable.

Christa P
Jun. 26, 2010, 01:00 PM
Is it weird that the ONLY time I feel maternal at all is when looking at ponies?

But EVERYBODY can have fun with ponies. They are the sportscars in driving:

Pair:

http://s620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/cap7297/?action=view&current=showpairandpond2.jpg

Or single (this pony was green, but has all kinds of potential)

http://s620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/cap7297/Oreo%20Driving/

No need for kids to have ponies :):D

Christa - who is the driver (whip) in the pictures

costco_muffins
Jun. 26, 2010, 09:31 PM
We have found good ponies through other summer camps and pony party businesses.

As an active summer camp ourselves, we have had to look for the perfect pony time and time again!

The best one we have is a little 12 hander, pinto, sound at 25. He is loaned to us by a family that no longer needed him. This guy is the ultimate lead line pony, will w/t/c and jump with you telling him where to go on the ground. He will follow you without a lead and will follow the group on a trail ride, including w/t/c and jumping over obstacles on the trail without getting out of control.

You might look for a pony at 4H fair or another 4H event - these guys tend to be well broke and hardy :)

DiablosHalo
Jun. 26, 2010, 09:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxB43sXb10A

I saw this on the other day on youtube. I know nothing about it, but it's adorable.

OMG... THAT is the pony I want to go look at! haha! I've emailed and got info. Then got on the fence whether to get him or a med/large pony that will last longer. This pony is almost a twin to the unbroke 2yo I have now. :)

llsc
Jun. 27, 2010, 08:48 AM
For a kid that young, I'd go with a small or medium. Something very old, who has been there done that. Both of my girls learned to ride on a pony who was 19 when I got him and he's now 23 and packing my 6 year old around. He's sound and sweet and everything you need in a nanny pony. Nothing scares him, because he's seen it all. If you put the word out in your area you will find someone who has a retiree that will do the job in the leadline and probably walk/trot for the next few years. Do not look for a pony who will do the job all the way through. Very few of those exist. Get the exact pony you need now and worry about the future when it comes.

If I were you, I'd sell the young pony. Your daughter is so young, and since she can't really do anything with it, she won't care that it's gone if it's replaced with a pony she can have fun with.

Bent Hickory
Jun. 27, 2010, 12:01 PM
Very much this:

For a kid that young, I'd go with a small or medium. Something very old, who has been there done that.

and very much this:

Get the exact pony you need now and worry about the future when it comes.

And this:

If I were you, I'd sell the young pony.

NOT this:

Get a med/large pony that will last longer.

ABSOLUTELY NOT this:

Another friend of mine is trying to give us a beautiful blue roan mustang filly. About 13h. She's only 3 or 4 and again- unbroke.

Ask yourself if this is really a realistic scenario - be honest:

By the time our dds get old enough to ride for real- we can have this one off and running as well. Hmmm...

Chall
Jun. 27, 2010, 12:15 PM
Emily Elek, www.stonewallponies.com
I took a peek at their web site, very nice. Nice long video of well trained pony ridden by what looks like an averagely skilled child rider. Really a pleasure seeing what I would call suitable usable well trained ponies.

TPF
Jun. 27, 2010, 12:18 PM
We have had "Cocoa Puff" for a little over a year now. We got him when my daughter was only 2 and she is now 3 1/2 years old. My husband and I run a sales/training business so I wanted to make sure to find our daughter a very safe very kind little guy to get started on.
He is the perfect first pony - stands like a soldier while the little ones brush, bathe and love on him. He has never kicked - he can be a little nibbly looking for treats so I just make sure he is on cross ties or tied up when the kids are around him.
Will do lead line all day long - will lunge on a circle and my daughter at age 3 rode him around loose all over the farm. We do put an overcheck on him to keep his head out of the grass :)
The deal I made with his owners was that we did a "lease" for $100 until we didn't want him anymore, then we would try to find him another home with the same deal or return him to them. He comes with a saddle, bridle and halter of his very own.
The place he came from did trot, canter and even do little ground poles with him - for my daughter I felt he is a little too bouncy at the trot to learn on - we happened to find her a small quarter horse pony that is ancient and a good learn to trot and canter pony - which is why this one needs a new home.
He is probably about 10.3-11.0 hands I would guess - I can put a stick on him if anyone is interested. I would like to find him a new home asap because she isn't really riding him anymore and he really likes the attention.
Our farm is in Williston, FL - just about 10 minutes from the HITS showgrounds in Ocala. You can email me turningpointfarm@hughes.net or message me for more info.
There are lots of pics on our facebook page - Turning Point Farm - I am going to try to put a link here -

http://www.facebook.com/photo_search.php?oid=240353892250&view=all#!/photo.php?pid=4891293&id=240353892250

Or I can email you pics if interested. He is very cute - typical shetland dark grey with white mane/tail.

Thanks!!!!

oldenmare
Jun. 27, 2010, 06:06 PM
Well, after reading your thread title, all I have to add is that if you are looking for a kid-proof pony, I have her.

Paris wants NOTHING to do with kids. She's marginally accepting of adults. Fortunately, she's something of a rescue and has no need to do anything but look cute and keep the Oldenmare company.

But I had to smile at your title - as I'm sure that an 11 yr old medium WelshX mare with no undersaddle training and is fairly anti-social towards humans is not what you meant!!!

(although she does love her scritches and spa treatments)