PDA

View Full Version : Want to brag on my young guy

dacasodivine
May. 5, 2010, 11:43 AM
I've had him since he was 9 or 10 months, he's 3 1/2 coming 4. I had no idea what breed he was when I bought him. The person I got him from had bought him at auction so didn't know. He's right around 13.3 now so I guess I've got myself a pony. I kept hoping he would grow just a little more. Fortunately, I'm short.

I have saddled him before but decided it was time to get serious. I bought a dressage saddle a few months ago to ride my mare. It fits him, too, so I'm using it on him. I only have a 1 acre pasture so that's where I rode him for the first 5 or 6 rides. We are only walking and trotting. Mostly walking.

I live at the end of my road. It's only about 1/2 a mile. We started out just going out the gate and as far as he was comfortable. Each day we went a little farther. We have now reached the main road and he turned and went right on down the road for a short ways.

He's doing really well. Funny thing is he spooks at the oddest things such as cars, mowers, children playing, dogs; all things he sees here daily. He chases dogs, follows me when I'm on the mower, loves kids because they pet him. Not sure whey he spooks at them when we're out. He spooks in place, thank goodness. He ignores culverts and garbage cans, stop signs, trash in ditches.

He is learning to eat while we're out, grabbing quick bites here and there. Yesterday he offered to trot while we were out. I take that as a sign he is more comfortable riding out. He feels like he's gaited, but he's not. That's a nice change from my mare who jars the heck out of me when she trots.

I don't know that he'll make an endurance horse, but he's going to be a heck of a trail horse. Next year I'll have a better idea. He's still young and I don't want to push him.

Huntertwo
May. 6, 2010, 01:05 PM
He sounds like a great little guy. :yes:
I have a pony too..lol
Your training sounds right on track. When I first got my girl, she was previously trail ridden, but we were new to each other.

I just took her out a little farther every day within her comfort zone, even if it was in 20 foot increments.

Now we can go out as long as we like! Good luck!

dacasodivine
May. 13, 2010, 10:18 AM
I figure he's got a lifetime ahead of him, so why rush it?

We're now going about a mile and a half from home. He's okay with cars, trucks, trucks pulling trailers with cows or horses, or with tractors on them. He's still a little spooky when he sees someone out in their yard. He ignores the little dog I like to call "Road Kill" that comes out and chases us.

He is fasinated by the donkey that is in a pasture across the road from the ditch we ride in. The donkey will run up to the fence and pace us. Once we've reached his fence line, he'll bray. It's too funny.

Yesterday, a guy down the road was using his tractor's bucket to pound in fence posts. He was, at a guess, 150 or 200 feet from where we were. Casper stopped and watched for a minute then moved on! I've had mature, trained horses that wouldn't have gone by that. Shoot, my 21 year old arabian mare would not have gotten close enough to see what the rumble of the tractor or the banging was.

I'll continue going down the road, nice and easy this year. Maybe next year I can think about doing some competitive trail or LDs!