PDA

View Full Version : Does your barn manager ride/show?

alteringwego
May. 5, 2010, 10:12 AM
Does your barn manager ride? Does he/she show? His/her horses or the customers' horses? Rated shows or unrated? What divisions?

findeight
May. 5, 2010, 10:24 AM
Our barn manager is a professional primarily employed as barn manger.

In the 15 years I have been with this barn, there have only been 3 BMs. Two rode only occaisionally for fun. One rode frequently but primarily flatwork and only at home or AM schooling at the shows.

Barn employs 2 trainers (at home and on the road) plus uses professional riders when needed.

With a big show barn at home or large road string, BMs for this type of barn really don't have time to ride and it's not a big part of the job they were hired for.

IMO, the term BM is overused. I define it as a manager and supervisor and seperate from a rider/trainer...and they don't muck except in an unusual situation.

Giddy-up
May. 5, 2010, 10:51 AM
Does your barn manager ride? Does he/she show? His/her horses or the customers' horses? Rated shows or unrated? What divisions?

The barn I board at the trainer assumes the BM role as well. So yes, they ride & show customer's horses in the pro classes.

If the barn has a BM that rides, the BM should either declare themself a pro or if they want to retain their ammy status ride only their horse(s) & follow the ammy rules.

billiebob
May. 5, 2010, 06:14 PM
I am my barn's BM (very low-key barn, mainly does schooling shows and the local hunter/jumper circuits) and I do ride. I have my own horse, though, so it's just riding for pleasure. I will occasionally hop on one of our saintly schoolies if I have to demonstrate something while teaching or on the rare occasion one of them needs a tune-up (so rare I don't remember the last time I did this--they're good critters! :D).

When I was hired, part of the job description was exercising sale horses and boarded horses if their owners wished. I have the option to show, but it's not mandatory. If I had time I would probably show more.

Coppers mom
May. 5, 2010, 06:23 PM
I rode, but did not typically show unless it was a situation where no one else was going and I could leave the barn for the day.

I would tag along if multiple horses were going to help out at shows though. Sometimes, that meant me wandering around the showgrounds. That was the extent of my showing, for the most part :lol:

ivy62
May. 5, 2010, 06:27 PM
At our barn the B/O is the B/M and the trainer too....she does show occaisionally and it could be either her horse, daughter's pony or a clients horse what ever is needed at the time....It actually works well for us....

Across Sicily
May. 6, 2010, 12:06 PM
At my barn the BM is the BM and does ride. Also lessons. She's fun to lesson with :D

I don't think she shows though.

alteringwego
May. 6, 2010, 12:59 PM
more interested in those BMs that don't also serve as trainers.

billiebob
May. 6, 2010, 04:17 PM

I wouldn't call myself a trainer. I teach w/t/c and xrails. Trainer is a strong word for that! I prefer instructor.

Punkie
May. 6, 2010, 05:51 PM
Our BM primarily functions as such and is also one of the two "beginner/novice" level instructors. She has her own horses elsewhere and does not ride at the barn.

Giddy-up
May. 6, 2010, 06:15 PM

Like BM's that retain their ammy status & show in the ammy classes?

alteringwego
May. 6, 2010, 07:52 PM
exactly Giddy-up!

DancingQueen
May. 6, 2010, 08:56 PM
I'm just making things up now, so take this with a grain of salt.

I've seen both virtually non riding BMs and also BMs who rides and shows as well as the owner/trainer/BM all in one.

My guess is that if BM is any good at riding she will at some point be roped into also doig some lessons, thus not be an amateur.
For the BM that doesn't ride quite as well it might not be a whole lot of fun to try to show.
He/she will be in a boss kind of position and to then have the whole barn watching when they try to just survive an itty bitty jumper class or a nervous adult eq class when everybod else on the team wears white breeches or shadbellys to the ring... Idk.

Most of the BMs I know has either been a pro or not showed at all.

I'm not sure, but I believe a BM could show a clients horse as long as she was not paid to do so (or customer charged for her showing) and still be an amateur?

RockinHorse
May. 7, 2010, 07:47 AM
I'm not sure, but I believe a BM could show a clients horse as long as she was not paid to do so (or customer charged for her showing) and still be an amateur?

Nope, this is not correct. This would make the BM a pro.

alteringwego
May. 7, 2010, 09:36 AM
I was under the impression that a BM could ride and show his/her own horse and remain an amateur but if they showed a client or the owner's horses then he/she was a pro.
Can anyone confirm/deny?

hoopoe
May. 7, 2010, 10:01 AM
yes If I managed the barn I ride at

supervise the staff

manage / do feed and vet program for the horses.

manage / do building maintanance

none of those activities make me a pro. I am not riding the clients animals, not exercising /hacking/lunging. Not teaching lessons, even walk trot.

If I ride my horse at a show, I am an ammy.

If I ride someone elses horse, who is not involved in the employers barn, and am not paid to do so, I can stay ammy

If I ride a horse my employer is paid to train or owns, that is when the crossing to pro status gets opened

findeight
May. 7, 2010, 10:19 AM
I was under the impression that a BM could ride and show his/her own horse and remain an amateur but if they showed a client or the owner's horses then he/she was a pro.
Can anyone confirm/deny?

That is true...but you cannot so much as throw a leg over any horse your employer takes money to manage, board or train.

There is an issue with being a BM and remaining an ammie because there are times at home when even a non rider may need to step in to teach an up down lesson because the usual instructor is tied up with something else. Or a rehab needs 16 straight sides at the trot and 20 minutes walking. Both of these violate the ammie rule.

When you ask about the non riding BM that means a big barn with enough going on that they can emloy somebody for a specific job as opposed to the usual muck/train/teach/bookeeping jack of all trades at the small barn.

It will make you much more employable by that large barn IF you can step in even if riding is not in your job description. The non riding BMs I know have long been in the business...when they started out, they did ride a little and fill in with the walk trot crowd as needed.

alteringwego
May. 7, 2010, 11:57 PM
I'm in the business but had heard that I could potentially be an ammie still because of my role. However I do occasionally need to sit on some because a pro rider is out sick, etc. My pay does not vary if I ride or don't ride but I believe that I am likely a professional. :-( not what I really wanted but I suppose it is time to woman up.
I work for a large barn and teaching is not part of my job so I'm not concerned about that. It's the walk rides for rehab horses or the 'my horse has been broken for a month, I'm bored, can I ride something?'

SillyHorse
May. 8, 2010, 10:18 AM
Our barn manager is a professional primarily employed as barn manger.

In the 15 years I have been with this barn, there have only been 3 BMs. Two rode only occaisionally for fun. One rode frequently but primarily flatwork and only at home or AM schooling at the shows.

Barn employs 2 trainers (at home and on the road) plus uses professional riders when needed.

With a big show barn at home or large road string, BMs for this type of barn really don't have time to ride and it's not a big part of the job they were hired for.

IMO, the term BM is overused. I define it as a manager and supervisor and seperate from a rider/trainer...and they don't muck except in an unusual situation.
My barn is very similar. Our barn manager is exactly that, and rides her own horse only for pleasure after work. She's 100% devoted to being the manager, and does a fine job.

ridingschmedly
May. 12, 2010, 11:34 AM
My BM/BO/trainer rides. We mainly do locals shows together but I think she went to Lexington a few times earlier in her career before she had so many younger children to coach at shows.