PDA

View Full Version : need thoughts on this oppurtunity

my_doran
May. 5, 2010, 06:34 AM
my horse is not being ridden yet as he is young,and i have been out of riding for a while.i have now have started in lessons again to bring myself up again from where i was in my skills.in my lesson a rider that boards her horse at the barn where i ride,watched my lesson and asked me if i wanted to ride her horse in between riding lesson days for practice..i was all for it,but after talking to her my thoughts started to change a bit.:rider is sorry to say but being a spoiled brat to her parents b/c she doesn't want said horse anymore and parents said NO! to buying a new horse and tells me the horse doesn't listen to her anymore.rider is 17yrs old and has been riding long enough she is intermediate atleast.anyways her revenge to her parents is that she not going to ride anymore.now if i start to ride/training rides on this horse and down the road she changes her mind that she wants to start riding again, from her brat moment...i feel that i would then have put training on her horse that i basiclly did with out any pay.i am not at any ama/pro status right now..so im not worried about the ama/payment probs.

alibi_18
May. 5, 2010, 07:03 AM
She offered you that horse to ride for you to practice on because you wanna get back in shape. Would this help you get back in shape? Is this what you are looking for in the long run?
If this is the case, I wouldn't care about the fact you would 'train' for free. You are getting back in shape first. If it's a good horse you'll have fun fixing problems and you'll be more prepare to go on with your youngster!!

If you are a Pro or usually get paid for your services then still, a bit of getting back in the saddle is an offer to consider but I would make it clear that this would only be for short period.

BUT I would defenitively contact the parents (the real owners!) and ask them if it's ok with them you ride the horse...You don't wanna be caught in a familly
fight!!!!

AND yes, expect her to be riding back 'her' horse at any moment, spoiled or not, it is hers!!!

ArthurGuinness
May. 5, 2010, 08:08 AM
Since you havn't really been in the saddle for a while, other than a few lessons, this sounds perfect! It will help you get fit so you can ride your youngster even better when you start him/her!!!

mvp
May. 5, 2010, 08:08 AM
Keeping your ammy status means you'll often improve horses without compensation. Don't worry about it so long as you get something you want for yourself out of the deal. And don't underestimate what you'll get by swinging your leg over many horses.

As to the kid's fight with her parents and taking the horse back? I wouldn't make that my problem either. After all, your life could change and you could want to stop riding the horse just as fast as they could.

Just ask yourself if practicing on this horse serves your purposes for the time being.

Ozone
May. 5, 2010, 09:38 AM
It's free riding and your looking to get in shape. Take the deal!!

lesgarcons
May. 5, 2010, 11:25 AM
I guess I'm going to be the one voice of dissent. What happens if Spoiled Brat's parents show up one day and say, "Who the hell is this riding the horse we bought? We never said anyone besides SB could ride our horse!", and a giant yelling match ensues with you stuck in the middle on the poor horse? Or, what if the horse is injured and SB's parents freak out on you and demand that you pay for the vet?

The thing here is that if she's a minor and her parents are buying everything for her, in my eyes that makes them the owners of the horse. So I (and likely the BO) would need to have their permission before I jumped on the horse. And if the only reason SB won't ride is to try to upset her parents, I doubt you're going to get their approval. I also wouldn't want to be a part of any situation where a kid is using me to leverage their parents in some way. It sounds like it could get very messy.

I suggest you keep taking lessons to improve your riding/fitness. Hopefully another undramatic riding opportunity will pop up.

my_doran
May. 5, 2010, 11:31 AM
all very good points made by all of you..i might just give it a try for a couple of rides,but will be treading carefully with this situation.
its kind of a get back in shape/get my self out there as a rider kind of thought process.and yes also to be prepared for my youngster.

meupatdoes
May. 5, 2010, 11:37 AM
anyways her revenge to her parents is that she not going to ride anymore.now if i start to ride/training rides on this horse and down the road she changes her mind that she wants to start riding again, from her brat moment...i feel that i would then have put training on her horse that i basiclly did with out any pay.

Think about this again for a sec.
You are only interested in riding an extra horse if it is basically GIVEN to you and the owner never gets on it again?

It is basically fair to assume from the outset that when you are offered a ride on someone else's horse that they are paying the bills on, no matter WHAT their situation is they will probably, you know, want their horse back eventually.

If the horse is one that you feel you could get some good practice on, then ride it to the best of your ability for as long as you have the opportunity.
I think it could work out really well.

A very diplomatic way to approach it would be to mention to the Trainer that the girl has approached you and ask the Trainer what they think and if they are agreed to clear it with the parents. This makes sure you have done your due diligence and played your barn politics right, as well as giving you a buffer between you and Mom and Dad.