PDA

View Full Version : VENT When to be bad!

Chic Hunter
May. 4, 2010, 07:55 PM
Thoroughly disgusted and disapointed in the performance of my "Fabulous" 2 yr old gelding. My trainer/friend came by to hang for a bit and see him on the longe line ( since she had been told by muah what a great mover w/great rythym and suspension ha has ...blah, blah, blah....) 1st he was a pain in the ass to bridle, kicked out at me on each side when I girthed him, slipped, slid, bucked, and constantly spooked and bucked when her dog moved. Bet she is impressed.

RxCate
May. 4, 2010, 08:15 PM
I just hope you're only lunging and not riding.

Aside from that. He's 2, he's going to act like a baby, because he is, she should understand that. Just correct him and move forward, everyday is a learning experience with babies, and horses in general.

You can't get upset with them, you have to just "ride" through it, stay calm, and correct them.

onelanerode
May. 4, 2010, 08:34 PM
Seriously? He's 2. It sounds like your expectations might be a tad unreasonable.

Hopefully your trainer/friend has more realistic ideas of what normal 2-year-olds do. They aren't going to be perfect. They're babies.

I'm sure if he's brought along properly he will have plenty of opportunities in the future to impress people.

indygirl2560
May. 4, 2010, 10:17 PM
gees, no reason to jump all over the OP. It doesn't sound like she rode him...

OP, I know exactly what you mean about horses acting their worst when you bring a friend over to see/ride them! I had my friend come ride my old pony after i'd bragged about how wonderful my ponys training was coming along. Friend hopped on, pony tried to buck her off then proceeded to hang on the bit and pull my friend around the ring. Luckily my friend was a good rider and worked through it, but pony was on her worst behavior!

To the MAX
May. 4, 2010, 10:27 PM
Jeez guys lay off the OP...I'm pretty sure she was just venting that she was trying to show off her wonderful, amazing, incredible horse to a friend, then he made a liar out of her. :lol: They'll always do that. That's why you always tell your friends how *bad* your horse is! ;)

Personal Champ
May. 5, 2010, 08:28 AM
My 4 year old just did that to me with my husband as the visitor on Sunday, except hers was under saddle. I have about 20 rides on her and she has been WONDERFUL, hubby was there for the first ride and none since. She bucked, she ran, she spooked and was distracted. I told him not to come anymore.:lol:

Ozone
May. 5, 2010, 09:36 AM
Heck my 15 year old pulls those shinanaghans time to time. :D Horses will be horses but really, I know what you went through.

When we want them to show off they don't. When we don't care if they show off they do :yes:

Giddy-up
May. 5, 2010, 09:55 AM
Babies are a lesson in humility. :lol:

ThatGirlTina
May. 5, 2010, 11:40 AM
Ha yeah I was bragging to my family about how I trained my horse myself and we had been winning all the shows we went to, and he was just a dream. So they came to watch us ride.

Of course as soon as we entered the arena and we got along the rail, he turned around, took his bit, and ran to the gate. :) lovely.

Coppers mom
May. 5, 2010, 12:20 PM
He's just making sure that you're stuck with him :lol:

sublimequine
May. 5, 2010, 12:50 PM
Horses always know when you have an audience, or are trying to impress someone. Then they stab you right in the back by acting like doofuses. :lol:

sptraining
May. 5, 2010, 01:15 PM
Horses make liars out of all of us. ;)

Chic Hunter
May. 6, 2010, 07:28 PM
Here he is behaving-

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1595085265

Treasmare2
May. 6, 2010, 08:15 PM
I had a nice young horse that my coach told a clinician was a lovely horse. Clinician asked to see the horse on the lunge line with others watching. Horse behaved a complete and udder fool to the point you would NEVER consider her a nice horse. This mare went on to win in the pregreens, adults, 1st and 2nd years, the regulars and then onto jumpers up to 4'3...she won in everything but never lived down that lunge day. It provided alot of laughs over the years. Today the dear mare is still going and she is still a nut on the lunge. So laugh it off...means nothing and someday it will be truely funny.

FlyingSwap
May. 6, 2010, 08:43 PM
Don't you just LOVE that?

Had a friend out who saw my 4 year old about 6 weeks ago and I was so anxious for her to see his brilliant progress.....and this boy has had gorgeous lead changes from the first time I asked (he learned them on the track) and it's never been an issue...............so of course, when he has a knowledgeable audience, he kicks out repeatedly before leaping into the change............both ways. :rolleyes:

Of course, he had never done that before. Not ever.

Another horsey friend of ours was out at the farm today, so I casually walk by on my gorgeous bay jumper-in-training and ask if he'd like to watch........and damned if that sucker doesn't drop rails left and right (I did just move the jumps up on him, so....).........and then the second we were no longer being watched, he put in a TERRIFIC trip---fast, clean and balanced. :lol:

Ugh. Horses. ;)

Sorry to semi-hijack, but I so know exactly what you're feeling!

HuntJumpSC
May. 6, 2010, 11:23 PM
A greenie will make a liar out of you every time! :lol: Let's hope my just turned 3 last week baby behaves at her first show Saturday. Gonna go hang out and watch. ;)

tidy rabbit
May. 7, 2010, 08:09 AM
He's just making sure that you're stuck with him :lol:

No kidding! They do that you know.