PDA

View Full Version : Hunters verses Jumpers?

vbunny
May. 4, 2010, 08:47 PM
Anybody have an idea of the ratio of hunters to jumpers? I could really use some statistics.

TIA

Hauwse
May. 5, 2010, 03:11 PM
The American Horse Council and Equine/Hippique Canada have both done industry studies.

There is also a very involved report done by the Henley Center in 2004.

I do not remember there being any specific breakdown by sector/division of discipline; however I do think it would be possible to approximate the division between Hunters and Jumpers by determining the difference between FEI participants and non-FEI participants within the same discipline, and shaking it down more by participant age.

You may also want to speak directly with either association to see if they do have specific stats.

It may also be possibly to obtain a random sample of participants by discipline from one of the larger shows, which would essentially be the bases of either of the aforementioned studies.

Either way you are going to probably have to do a little work to get accurate numbers, but it is possible.

Good luck!!

Cannonball
May. 5, 2010, 04:48 PM
It may also be possibly to obtain a random sample of participants by discipline from one of the larger shows, which would essentially be the bases of either of the aforementioned studies.

Either way you are going to probably have to do a little work to get accurate numbers, but it is possible.

Good luck!!

I agree with the above. Go to a website like horseshowsonline and look at the class entries tab. This will give you a good place to start. If you only look at the numbers, obviously the same horse will be entered in multiple classes, particularly in the Hunter divisions. But you should be able to factor that into your calculations.

vbunny
May. 5, 2010, 07:55 PM
Good ideas, both. I did get in contact with the USHJA and they do not have a breakdown of members. Also, I am pretty sure that the AEC and Equine Canada simply list FEI and non FEI sports, no further breakdown. I will look at horseshowsonline, and see what I can gather from that, thanks.

Zanny
May. 5, 2010, 11:51 PM
On the FEI website results are shown for jumpers. Last I checked it was like 2,000 across the world at FEI level. The USEF has +/- 25,000 h/j members who participate as h/j. So the ratio to hunter jumper would come from there, and it would be looking at entries. I have found it hard to get these statistics. For the most part horse industry money is based on TB racing and recreational riding. If that helps.