PDA

View Full Version : Thank you USHJA for EAP - It is a MUST!!

Beenthere
May. 4, 2010, 05:32 PM
The EAP (Emerging Athletes Program) sponsored by the USHJA is such a wonderful program that every trainer should make an effort to read the specs and encourage their students to participate. It is a way to better the students riding, while forging friendships and connections that could last a lifetime. My understanding is that the program is accomplished to groom young riders who wish to participate as a professional in the horse industry later in life. It is a way to cherry pick talented persons who demonstrate riding, horsemanship and general welfare for the animal. I am surprised that more people are not aware of this program. Oddly enough, this year Melanie Smith Taylor, EAP 1 clinician is judging the Maclay finals…..wouldn’t you love to be in front of her learning riding techniques.

We participated at SCAD this past weekend. The facility was beautifully groomed, horses were very comfortable and the riders an amazing group of lovely men and women. Each would approach others and introduce themselves and get to know each other. How great! Everyone watched each other’s sessions and encouraged the riders as they accomplished difficult tasks. No one walked away unhappy or believing they did not belong.

Melanie Smith Taylor is absolutely incredible. Doubtful there are many who can train and explain as well as she and one who can make everyone have a successful outcome. I am amazed that she is not booked for clinics every weekend for the rest of her life. She needs to publish books and videos. She is a true horsewoman and everyone should try and soak up her knowledge. Her stories of where she came from and where she is going are so optimistic and encouraging for every level of rider.

I can only hope everyone gets to participate in a clinic of hers or audit. You will not be disappointed.

To the USHJA, this is probably one of the best things you have put together to date. The Committee should be so proud. I envision in five (5) years this program will get 10,000 applicants a year…..and will be the most vied for program among jumper riders.

mroades
May. 4, 2010, 05:51 PM
I just typed a very long reply on my original thread, and the internet ate it...ughh

mroades
May. 4, 2010, 05:54 PM
The program is great, it needs better local promotion....but it is kind of a sore subject for me at the moment. My students all knew about it, were not showing, and could have gone to watch.
None of them did.
There were very many other locals who didnt even know it was happening, and others didnt care....shame.

dwblover
May. 4, 2010, 06:05 PM
I agree about local promotion. I had no idea it was going on and I don't live far from SCAD at all.

mroades
May. 4, 2010, 06:12 PM
Well, you should come visit every once ina while, all that stuff is on my board! Come visit anyway, its too quiet out here (except for the jets)

dray
May. 5, 2010, 12:31 AM
I am so excited about the program. My daughter has been selected to ride in the Zone 7 clinic next weekend in Katy. She is VERY much looking forward to it.

neigh.neigh
May. 5, 2010, 07:23 AM
I participated in the zone 2 Program and I also thought it was fantastic. Melanie Smith Taylor was a great clinician and really made everyone feel succesful. The groups were very diverse in the level of riders but she was able to help and challenge everyone without overfacing them. I was happy that a lot of things Melanie was telling I us, I had already learned from my trainer but it was definitely a good review. I met so many nice people and made a lot of friends. Overall I loved it and I hope I'm accepted into the level 2!!!

findeight
May. 5, 2010, 09:46 AM
The zone 5 EAP will be this weekend just north of Cincinnati. $25 each day to audit. 3 miles off I 71. No rain in forecast. Not going to be too hot or too cold.

PM me if you need details.

KnKShowmom
May. 5, 2010, 10:11 AM
Did anyone ride or audit the session in Zone 3 on Monday and Tuesday?