PDA

View Full Version : FEI article about bute etc...

nlk
May. 4, 2010, 03:58 PM
http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/shocking-vote-legalizes-bute-fei-competition

I am obviously out of the loop as this happened in Nov. but given the current FEI controversies I thought I just might bring it up.

Now I will never compete FEI BUT this is going to be leading to a whole slew of things with organizations who follow FEI's example. What's more is this is opening the door for a whole new lot of substances that could later become "Un-banned". At least that's my feeling.

Dooner
May. 4, 2010, 11:45 PM
Anyone know how the thresholds compare to USEF?

phenylbutazone (up to 8 mcg/ml in plasma or serum), salicylic acid (up to 750mcg/ml in urine and up to 6.5 mcg/ml in plasma or serum) and flunixin (up to 500 mcg/ml in plasma or serum) ?

fourmares
May. 5, 2010, 12:43 AM
I think that horses competeing in classes for children or amatures with fences 3 ft and under that are over the age of 12 should be allowed to have bute in a reasonable amount. I think that allows the old campaigners to continue to compete and teach our kids and pack our older ammies... I think that horses competing at the FEI level probably ought to be allowed a small amount of NSAIDs too. I don't think we expect that human athletes competing at the top levels of their sports do it without being allowed to have an asprin or an Advil at the end of the day...and you know that the riders competing on those horses are allowed... I think that the amount that they are allowing is small enough it mearly allows the horse relief from the aches and pains that one would have after a hard workout and not enough to make an unsound horse sound enough to continue to compete.

Flash44
May. 5, 2010, 07:05 AM
You can't compare using medication in horses to using medication in humans. A human can vocalize exactly where and how bad the pain or stiffness is, and probably is in consultation with his or her personal physician, or a team doctor. A horse cannot talk and when you have owners, riders, and trainers making decisions as to which medications to give and when, without the consultation of a veterinarian, you are not acting in the best interest of the horse.

I'm all for allowing minimal levels of a few medications so that horses that have very mild issues can still compete. However, the horse should be subjected to a weekly lameness exam by a vet and the vet should sign off on the medication plan on a weekly basis. This is the only way to protect the interest of the horse. Because of course most of us love our horses and would not dream of causing problems with the prolonged administration of NSAIDs or whatever, but there are always the handful that do. So either ban the medication or have it overseen by professionals.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 5, 2010, 08:37 AM
I don't think my clients can afford to consult a vet every time I want to give their horse some bute after a long horse show day, nor does my vet want to waste his time coming out for that.

Requiring a weekly lameness exam simply raises the cost of competition even more, and discourages more people from wanting to a) ride on that level and b) become good knowledgeable horsemen that know how to deal with medicating for certain things on their own.

findeight
May. 5, 2010, 09:34 AM
I have no problem with this. Long thought it restrictive to a fault that you dare not give something for a stone bruise or to reduce inflammation in any equine athlete within an appropriate time frame and amount.

Weekly lamness evaluation signed off by a vet? Silly, sorry. And what vet would that be? A neutral one or your regular vet that recommended the bute and provided it for you? What would that even prove? Other then generating additional income for that vet?

And...well...who's to say whatever vet that would be isn't working for that team/owner/farm anyway?

FEI sort of does what it wants anyway.