PDA

View Full Version : Help!-horse with allergies

AimeeT
May. 4, 2010, 09:10 AM
My 7 yr old gelding has very bad seasonal allergies and they have started up again. Allergy testing revealed a reaction to grass. I am monitoring his intake but have also tried Dex, Antihistamines, inhalers, throat flush and none of that is working! His major symptom is blowing his nose which becomes worse with work. Has anyone had any luck with helping to manage this?

hollyhorse2000
May. 4, 2010, 10:01 AM
I'm sorry. Allergies are a pain! I did have my horse tested and started on allergy desensitization a few years ago. I give her a monthly shot at this point. It's not a big deal and not expensive once you do the initial testing and ordering of the serum. (my insurance even paid for that to begin with.) It does take at least a year to work. I also have my horse on daily cyprohepdimine from March to October. good luck!

Phaxxton
May. 4, 2010, 10:18 AM
Allery hypersensitization (i.e., allergy shots). :yes:

Seal Harbor
May. 4, 2010, 11:57 AM
I have a horse allergic to grass, he doesn't get to eat grass, fresh or hay. He only eats alfalfa. He won't even pick grass when he is hand walked outside, just weeds. He also gets allergy shots for everything else he is allergic to.

Tegan
May. 4, 2010, 12:03 PM
Mine gets allergy shots.
Ventipulmin has been awesome for his breathing issues. We tried everything else with no luck before that.

dwblover
May. 4, 2010, 12:42 PM
I noticed a huge difference when I put my TB on 5,000 mg of vitamin C per day.

SUET1999
May. 4, 2010, 01:59 PM
Word of caution, I believe that cypro is a USEF "illegal" drug if you are showing rated shows. someone can correct me if i am wrong

FineAlready
May. 4, 2010, 02:08 PM
Word of caution, I believe that cypro is a USEF "illegal" drug if you are showing rated shows. someone can correct me if i am wrong

I believe you are correct. I had a horse on cypro and we always had to take him off a certain number of days in advance of a show. I think it was maybe 10 days before a show? I would call USEF and ask if you have questions.

NMK
May. 4, 2010, 04:19 PM
Yep a seven day withdrawal and even then I'd fill out a form

MintHillFarm
May. 5, 2010, 11:19 AM

So is Ventipulmin I think...mine was on Clenbuterol years ago also not legal to show with.
My horse's allergies turned into COPD which was very hard to manage back in the mid 90's. I think there have been many medical advances since then. My horse spent some time at New Bolton as his breathing was so bad. His allergy testing came back positive on virtually everything.

Give and Take
May. 5, 2010, 12:37 PM
I've had better luck with benadryl for flair-ups than dex. I get the capsules and break them open in feed. 2 twice a day and then weaning down, works well for my special tb. It is illegal to show on though.

The rest of the time he gets Equinacea from equilite and spirulina powder from herbalcom.com. After a year I was able to stop the spirulina, but he still gets the Equinacea.

It was a trial and error process but I didn't want to keep using dex. The Horse Journal has had some good articles on managing allergies.

good luck!