PDA

View Full Version : Dream of a career in Equestrian Sports?

Everythingbutwings
May. 4, 2010, 08:02 AM
A well known and much beloved actress (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/03/AR2010050304445.html?nav=hcmodule) just passed away. She will be missed, but has left her mark in her field.

Lynn Rachel Redgrave was born in London on March 8, 1943. She described herself as a sickly and withdrawn child in a family of performers. She channeled much of her affection into a pony she owned and in 1959 left grade school just shy of graduation to pursue her interest in horse jumping.
To subsidize her equestrian career, she took gourmet cooking classes and planned to cook for wealthy families. But it was too exhausting to continue, she said, and she instead entered drama school. She said her newfound interest in theater was "a bit of a whim."

...Lynn Redgrave said she did not plan on a career in the arts. She entered the family business only after her interest in horse jumping proved unrealistic.

A gentle reminder for all those who think working a barn job for a BNT/BNR at minimum wage with no benefits for the "experience" will somehow rocket you to the USET squad.

No, a degree in Equine Science will not put you at the top of the hire list for manager of a major breeding farm.

Please don't get your undies wadded when you post about your situation being different, that you work harder, deserve better and other members reply with common sense answers to your difficulties.

There is a special love and dedication to working with horses. No doubt about that. There has to be, when you consider the long hours that caring for them properly entails and the buckets of money even frugal owners must spend to keep them healthy and fed. I am not dismissing the earnest intentions of the dreamers, just reminding them that others have dreamed that dream as well and practicality has a place when trying to transfer a dream into real life.

So go be an actor! :winkgrin:

Seriously, think long and hard about what you do best, where your money earning skills lie and apply yourself to becoming a person who can afford to indulge your dreams. :yes:

Life is Good 2
May. 4, 2010, 03:07 PM
Very well said. Sad to see another great actress pass on

Roxy SM
May. 5, 2010, 12:12 AM
The funny thing is that I think there are way more people who think they can make it as actors and can't than people who think they can make it as a pro in the horse business and can't! Both are things that cause people to make crazy decisions and sacrifices to try and succeed

mustangsal85
May. 5, 2010, 12:18 AM
This is exactly what I needed to read to keep me on track to stay in school and do something that will earn enough money to support the financial black hole that is riding. :)

LoveJubal
May. 5, 2010, 01:32 AM
This is exactly what I needed to read to keep me on track to stay in school and do something that will earn enough money to support the financial black hole that is riding. :)

I have to make enough money to support my expensive horse habit!! :winkgrin: