PDA

View Full Version : Posting Trot Help

dbeers2618
May. 3, 2010, 09:00 PM
Ok new question, same little 6 year old rider.

Ok fixed the chair seat and swinging leg with tied stirrups and a new saddle fixed the chair seat ( I guess the other one was too big? idk. Can a one inch difference in saddle size make that much of a difference?)

New/old problem. She thrusts her post and it doesn't look "natural" it looks like she is working hard to do it. She has always done this, but we kind of just ignored it or mentioned once and a while that she doesn't have to work so hard, but now that everything else is coming together nicely I don't know how to get her to stop working so hard at the post.

Any help appreciated.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 3, 2010, 09:08 PM
Check stirrup length and have her practice letting the horse/pony push her up out of the tack at the trot.

EqTrainer
May. 3, 2010, 09:17 PM
Am I reading this right, that you tied a Childs stirrups to the girth?

lesgarcons
May. 4, 2010, 07:38 AM
Tincture of time is generally what helps one's riding look "natural". You have to understand that it takes time for any person to get strong enough/develop enough muscle memory to look natural doing anything. A child needs even more time than an adult. If someone was training you to do a certain activity and gave you a month to master a task you found difficult, all the while changing the game by adding different elements, you'd have a hard time too.

The child is 6 years old, I'd be happy that she was posting at all. I wonder why she is being pushed so hard. If her stirrups are at the proper length, her heels are down, and she's sitting up straight, the "unnatural" movement will resolve itself in time. No need to tie her stirrups to anything. Also, tying the stirrups to the girth makes riding much harder. This was an exercise we did in college, and it was hard. I think you are making it much more difficult for the child by tying the stirrups. Also, if you are rushing the kid to have her compete in short stirrups this summer or something, you aren't going to be able to tie the stirrups at shows. So why do it now and have to teach her all over again when they are untied?

Here is a thread about tying stirrups which mentions how challenging it is to ride in them for adult riders. http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217991

x
May. 4, 2010, 08:04 AM
In answer to your question can a one inch difference in saddle seat size make a difference? The answer is yes, it absolutely can! That would be two sizes bigger--remember, seats are sized every half-inch.

fourmares
May. 5, 2010, 01:10 AM
Tieing a riders sturrips to the girth at any time during a horse show is automatic disqualification from all classes... Also tieing sturrips to the girth can injure the rider and put undue stress on the joints of the leg and hip.

CR Gorge Girl
May. 5, 2010, 09:15 AM
Tieing a riders sturrips to the girth at any time during a horse show is automatic disqualification from all classes... Also tieing sturrips to the girth can injure the rider and put undue stress on the joints of the leg and hip.

She didn't say anything about doing this at a show.

I will agree though, that it does hurt, BUT it helps soooo much with your leg. As long as you're not tying the stirrups to the girth all the time, then it should be ok. It's better to tie them for like half a lesson (what my coach does), let you get the feel and then take them off. But that seems like a lot to expect from a 6 year old..