View Full Version : Would you pay for video lessons?

May. 3, 2010, 09:43 PM
I have been thinking about some of the video threads lately and wondered if anyone would be interested in having lessons videoed?

I rode a few Dressage shows and it was so neat; they offered a video of your test. A lot can be discovered.....

I would do this myself - - and it's often hard to find a willing body to hold the camera or have one that can transfer to the computer etc.....

What are your thoughts? thanks....

May. 3, 2010, 10:37 PM
I think its a great idea. I often times can't convince my husband to video. I agree - they can be really helpful!

May. 4, 2010, 01:11 AM
yes, but I think the pricing would have to be pretty competitive and the video would need to be good quality. After all, camcorders, mini HD videos and cameras are so common you can have a barn mate video your lesson free of charge :) At least I know once a week when I lesson there is usually at least one person I could ask to hold the camera on me while I do a course and/or enough flatwork to get an idea of my weaknesses.

However, I would think that if someone maybe offered a package of videos, with editing and uploading it might work because I agree video is extremely helpful!

May. 4, 2010, 10:30 AM
I used to tape people's lessons, though usually only during clinics or other special sessions. Sometimes regular lessons, too, if the person was prepping for a show. It was most popular with dressage riders, where they are very interested in exactly how everything looks. I would often shoot from different positions so they could see the movements from different angles (ie the half-pass from front, so they could see if the haunches were over or their line was right, etc.)

Between everyone having good cameras of their own nowadays and the economy (which seems to be just now starting to improve around here), that mostly dropped off over the last couple years. Mostly now people only request taping if the horse is for sale and the "lesson" is more to demonstrate its ridability for a sale video, and segments are included in combination with conformation shots or other video (such as segments from a show, etc.). And for a sale video they want a real professional quality, where for a lesson or something they don't care as much.

That's been my experience anyway.

May. 4, 2010, 01:05 PM
For a regular lesson, probably not, unless the video was fairly cheap.

For clinics, shows, or if I was only able to lesson occasionally... absolutely!