PDA

View Full Version : I "THINK" scammers are improving their approach

grandprixjump
May. 3, 2010, 01:46 PM
We received a call claiming to be a TTY call about boarding. Asked us to reply by email to them. I did, then the information was TOO detailed about horse, and being on vacation with family for 2 months, but the real catch is they claim to live in Charlotte, and we're in MS. Long dang ways away to temp board a horse.

Has anyone else received this and if so we can compare names and address's used...

lesgarcons
May. 3, 2010, 01:57 PM
One of the last posts of this thread talks about the scammers using TTY. It also includes a couple of their "scripts".

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220046&highlight=scam

Go Fish
May. 3, 2010, 02:38 PM
This exact thing was on a news channel last night.

Dooner
May. 3, 2010, 02:39 PM
It's interesting that, based on the other thread, I would guess they are re-using the verbiage provided by sellers when they inquire on a horse, or just trolling sales web sites. It adds a bit of verisimilitude with the horse “jargon” penned by a native speaker, but the random extra information gives it away.

Or do you co-ordinate your boarders so that you don’t, for example, have too many bays at once ;)?

So...either they want to pay you for all three months at once, but for some reason will wire/send cashier's check for much more than the board--you can just mail them the difference. And, based on the other thread, they may also throw in an unlikely COD situation for the shipping of their fictional horse halfway across the country (well, 1/5th of the way).