PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Horse Venice Field Boot? - Feedback???

carasmom
May. 3, 2010, 11:13 AM
I was looking at the MH Venice boot for a inexpensive schooling boot and was looking for some reviews, yeah or nay?:)

LOVE THIS SPORT
May. 3, 2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah for sure ! I was so suprised when I saw the boot up close that it was really even nicer than the pictures I had seen.

Personal Champ
May. 3, 2010, 01:23 PM
They are really nice, super soft and good quality for the price. I also plan on getting a pair for daily use. They seem to have the great Mountain Horse comfort and attention to detail, too. A steal for the details at that price!

chawley
May. 3, 2010, 01:46 PM
I'm curious to know too. I have two other pairs of MH boots which I love. I am a bit confused by the size chart. For the 8 slims, its says the calf is 13-14 1/8. A 14 1/8 isn't typical for a slim calf....can someone clarify?

atouchofclass
May. 3, 2010, 02:43 PM
I bought a pair with a regular calf and it fit fine and as soon as it drops a bit it will fit perfectly... Boot really impressed me. I like the more refined look it has over some of the traditional designs from MH.

sarcam02
May. 3, 2010, 03:31 PM
Very impressed - they are extremely refined and well made with buttery leather. I have always had full custom boots and they are on par. The only tiny compliant is that they put this fairly subtle elastic panel (about 1") along the back seam on the outside. Not overly noticable but I would prefer it be on the inside. For $200 they are unbeatable for my fast growing kid.

sarcam02
May. 3, 2010, 03:34 PM
for sizing the slim is slim. I got dd a 6 slim and they were tight. If I was the one wearing them I would probably "tough it out" til they stretched out a bit but since she will probably out grow these in a year or less I went with what fir now. The spanish top is very tall so it gives you a bit of wiggle room relating to height

carasmom
May. 3, 2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback, off to order before hubby gets home from work:lol:

sarcam02
May. 4, 2010, 11:24 AM
Very impressed - they are extremely refined and well made with buttery leather. I have always had full custom boots and they are on par. The only tiny compliant is that they put this fairly subtle elastic panel (about 1") along the back seam on the outside. Not overly noticable but I would prefer it be on the inside. For $200 they are unbeatable for my fast growing kid.

FYI - to any prospective buyers out there...
I just saw that Der Dau is now doing a boot with an elastic panel that is identical to the Venice boot.

ExJumper
May. 4, 2010, 11:27 AM
FYI - to any prospective buyers out there...
I just saw that Der Dau is now doing a boot with an elastic panel that is identical to the Venice boot.

Yeah. but is it $200? ;)

LOVE THIS SPORT
May. 4, 2010, 11:28 AM
It seems like a good trade-off putting the elastic on the outside. I was told that elastic on the inside may wear out very quickly. The elastic on this boot is pretty conservative so it looks fine.

carasmom
May. 4, 2010, 11:43 AM
I ordered them yesterday so hopefully they should arrive later this week. I think I might like the elastic. I have the ProChaps with the elastic and they are great. :)

Bearhunter
May. 4, 2010, 12:37 PM
How do they compare with the Supremes which are a couple hundred more?

I need a new pair of schooling boots (my Grand Prix are getting tired.)

CR Gorge Girl
May. 4, 2010, 02:01 PM
Do you think the elastic panel would be distracting in the show ring? (not A shows.. just IHSA)

I'm in need of new boots, and thought these looked really nice, and while I love Ariat, I don't want to take a chance with their zippers..

Dramapony_misty
May. 4, 2010, 02:12 PM
They will be fine for ISHA, and even A shows. The elastic isn't any more distracting than a zipper would be as my old trainer used to say, "from a distance of 5 feet...".

@Bearhunter: comparing these two boots is like comparing the Ariat Challenges to the Monacos. They are 2 totally different boots.

two sticks
May. 4, 2010, 03:41 PM
I have the mountain horse Richmond boots which are an older style. They are very comfy and have held up really well to consistent daily abuse. They have the elastic as well and you really don't even notice it. I don't do any A shows ($$) but have done local shows and clinics with BNTs (Linda Allen, etc) in them and they have always been fine.

Heres a picture from this weekend from an angle where you can see the elastic panel, I can hardly even tell it's there.
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/srs2712/stretchs%20first%20show/?action=view&current=stretchyshow-17.jpg

sarcam02
May. 4, 2010, 04:09 PM
Do you think the elastic panel would be distracting in the show ring? (not A shows.. just IHSA)

I'm in need of new boots, and thought these looked really nice, and while I love Ariat, I don't want to take a chance with their zippers..

The elastic is not distracting and it is very subtle It was the only flaw that I could find so i felt it was worth mentioning. To get a sense of what it looks like go the the Garden State Horse Show website and download the pdf prizelist. The last page features a photo of the der dau version with the elastic. I think that the supremes look great too but $300 more was not in the budget for a rapidly growing kid.

Linny
May. 4, 2010, 04:41 PM
Anyone have a photo? I'm considering a couple of moderate boots and haven't seen these. The other that look nice are the Baroque Boots at SmartPak.

Dramapony_misty
May. 4, 2010, 04:51 PM
http://www.mountainhorseusa.net/spring_venice_field_boot.html

Linny
May. 4, 2010, 05:13 PM
Thank you, they do look nice.

CR Gorge Girl
May. 4, 2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the info and pictures everyone!!!

PROTACKGUY
May. 5, 2010, 10:54 AM
wow, just checked out the link.. awesome..

carasmom
May. 12, 2010, 01:43 PM
I received the boots yesterday and I really like them. The leather is soft and pliable and they do really look like a more expensive boot. I usually wear an 8 1/2 or 9 and I ordered an 8. I think the footbed does run a tad large.
I wore them around the house and they were very comfortable. A great boot for the money.:yes:

rockfordbuckeye
May. 13, 2010, 06:15 PM
I just got these and I am really not impressed. The leather is super stiff and painful. They fit me in the foot and calf but the ankles are way to big and so all that extra stiff boot material just folds in and I think it would rub my leg raw if I tried to wear them. The quality seems on par for $200. Mine have uneven stitching and I think the elastic gullet thing is pretty obvious/looks cheap. I mean I guess if you're on a budget this is an ok boot for the price but don't pay $200 expecting to get the quality of a custom boot because you're not.

LARGEBORE
May. 14, 2010, 08:18 AM
Really? Every pair I have seen looked like hey were worth twice the $200 they cost.

ExJumper
May. 14, 2010, 09:54 AM
buckeye, could you post a picture? I'd be curious to see what yours look like, since every other indication is that they boots are quite a good value.

Perhaps you received a faulty pair? I would call the store from which you ordered them and see what they have to say.

alteringwego
May. 14, 2010, 10:16 AM
I thought the leather looked quite stiff in the picture. The Supremes are definitely a great value and are fabulous boots but unfortunately I'm not sure the ankle will be wide enough. May end up having to go for the Der Daus even though I'm not looking forward to the $.

ExJumper
May. 14, 2010, 10:33 AM
The Supremes are definitely a great value and are fabulous boots

My Supremes are positively divine!

sarcam02
May. 14, 2010, 02:24 PM
I thought the leather looked quite stiff in the picture. The Supremes are definitely a great value and are fabulous boots but unfortunately I'm not sure the ankle will be wide enough. May end up having to go for the Der Daus even though I'm not looking forward to the $.

Leather is not stiff - took a week to break in

rockfordbuckeye
May. 14, 2010, 05:51 PM
I don't have a place to post pix too.

When you say took a week to break in...how often did you ride in them? Did you oil them? Wet them or do anything special? I can't even wear them around my house they hurt so bad.

Unfortunately even if I could get the stuper stiff leather to soften up I still don't think they would fit since the ankle is still gigantic. This is my 1st pair of MH boots but in Ariats the off-the-shelf kind have fit my ankle/calf so maybe it's just a brand difference. I will admit I have big feet, normal calves and very small ankles, so maybe I'm just one of those that will need a custom boot or have to risk Ariat zipper mayhem.

carasmom
May. 14, 2010, 06:14 PM
I haven't worn them to ride however I did wear them around the house for about an hour to clean. (Would have taken a picture but me in soccer shorts and tall boots is not a pretty picture!) :eek:They did not bother me except they need to drop a bit and I probably could have rode in them in relative comfort.

My Ariat Cobalt Pro paddock boots that I received for Christmas actually hurt my feet more than these. I will ride in them tomorrow.

Hunter_Newbie
May. 14, 2010, 11:41 PM
Mine are great! My trainer didnt believe they were so cheap! The elastic panel is not noticeable, I purposefully asked my trainer if she could see it from across the ring- nope!

Mine broke in with three rides, and are very comfy to ride in now.

hb
May. 15, 2010, 01:20 AM
The Richmond boots have a slimmer ankle, but a little more elastic on the top. I love mine. They didn't need to break in, they're tough wearing but still look nice after a couple of years of daily wear.

Has anyone had both the Richmond and Venice? can you compare them for me?

moonlightride
May. 16, 2010, 01:39 AM
Ok here's my experience with these boots. I have owned Ariat in the past. These do run at least 1/2 size large in the foot. These are much softer and easier to break in(2 rides) compared to Ariat heritage and challenge which took weeks to break in. They look like $300 dollar boots, but not as nice as the $499 Mountain Horse boots. I found them super comfortable to walk in. I have a super high instep and Ariat boots kill my feet. Also these are wider in the width that plain Ariats and with the elastic are more likely to fit snug and not cut of your circulation. I quite like them but don't be comparing them to anything over $350. For $200 best deal out there. Nice schooling boot that is easy to break in, and decent construction, but nothing fancy.

rockfordbuckeye
May. 21, 2010, 04:26 PM
broke down and bought the MH Supreme's and they arrived today. Aaaahhh. Much better. Now THIS leather is soft and supple and will require almost no break in. They're lovely and fit like customs - no bagging in the ankles. I can't wait to ride in them. Venice boots are going back...

Tha Ridge
May. 22, 2010, 01:24 PM
broke down and bought the MH Supreme's and they arrived today. Aaaahhh. Much better. Now THIS leather is soft and supple and will require almost no break in. They're lovely and fit like customs - no bagging in the ankles. I can't wait to ride in them. Venice boots are going back...

I was about to recommend the Supremes for you, so I'm glad that you went that route. I have small feet, itty-bitty ankles, but a bigger (just normal, but big for my foot size) calf and the Supremes are amazing on me. They have stretched a bit more than I would've like, so I might have them taken in, but they break in time was nil and for the price, I foresee myself buying many more pairs.

Noctis
May. 22, 2010, 01:50 PM
Now why are the SLIM calf boots the tallest ones? *headdesk* I love the look, but am afraid they're just too darn short *sigh*

carasmom
May. 23, 2010, 07:31 PM
I decided to torture myself since it was 86 degrees and I had a lesson at 2pm. I figured if I was going to be hot and uncomfortable I might as well wear new boots and add to the misery. I am a jeans and half chaps kind of person so for me to put on breeches and boots is a big thing!:eek:
I was pleasantly surprised. I have 1 small blister on one heel which I can live with, no worse than new pumps!:lol:
The leather is soft and they were surprisingly comfortable. I had them on for about 4 hours.
They were much more comfortable than my Ariat boots which took at least a month to break in and honestly, I think I may show in these boots. My trainer thought they looked great and couldn't believe what I paid for them.

shalomypony
May. 23, 2010, 08:39 PM
I was very interested in these boots,but they don't make them tall enough for me.I ended up getting a pair of Ariat Heritage',which I think are perfect for daily boots.They are to die for comfortable,which shocked me since I have big problem feet.I went out and bought a pair of Ariat Westchesters as well....once again,comfort deluxe.Go figure.Now.....as far as longevity,we all know the Ariats are short lived compared to MH.Oh well,I hope MH starts making taller options soon!!!!:eek:

FineAlready
May. 23, 2010, 10:16 PM
Now why are the SLIM calf boots the tallest ones? *headdesk* I love the look, but am afraid they're just too darn short *sigh*

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Why would someone with a 12 and a half inch calf be more likely to need a taller boot than someone with a 14 inch calf? I don't get it.