PDA

View Full Version : Hunter hair..... without a hair net.

Mukluk
May. 2, 2010, 09:43 PM
I just HATE hairnets. Anyone do a show appropriate hair style without a hairnet? I was in a schooling show today and I just put it in a ponytail, divided the pony tail in two, ran each half the opposite direction pinned to the other hair. Seemed to work fine. Anyone else?

Laguna 007
May. 2, 2010, 11:09 PM
I used to do hunter hair without a hairnet for schooling at home, (still used a hairnet at shows though, just because) and it worked just fine. Now however, I have layers and use a hairnet daily (and have decided that I like the looks of the hairnet). If your hair is the right length for it to work, you don't necessarily neeeeeeeeeeeeeed a hairnet if you really, really don't like them!

Mukluk
May. 2, 2010, 11:14 PM
Wearing a hair net makes me think of being a food service worker... not that there's anything wrong with that. But I just don't like 'em! I just don't like the look of a hairnet. Am I the only one?

klmck63
May. 2, 2010, 11:20 PM
You can hardly notice it under a helmet, in my opinion, but anyways, I don't mind the way they look and I hate the look of wisps of hair sticking out of your helmet, so I just wear one.

I'm just not clear, with my haircut anyways, how you could get the hair over your ears look sans bits of hair sticking out without a hairnet.

poltroon
May. 2, 2010, 11:30 PM
With my hair, there are too many little wisps that would come loose without it.

You can't see the hairnet the way I do it.

If your hair is exactly the right length and there are no shorter bits, you could theoretically get away with it. It would never work for me.

The key is that there be no small hairs flying about. However you accomplish that - pins, braiding, dippity do, hairspray, hairnet - is optional.

indygirl2560
May. 3, 2010, 12:11 AM
I make a low ponytail, hold it against the back of my head as I slide my helmet on(back to front), and shove in any loose strands. It's worked for me for 2yrs and it's exactly like wearing a hairnet(as far as neatness goes) with the netting! lol

Pirateer
May. 3, 2010, 03:06 AM
Wearing a hair net makes me think of being a food service worker... not that there's anything wrong with that. But I just don't like 'em! I just don't like the look of a hairnet. Am I the only one?

Yes, since 98% of the rest of the female H/J riders wear them. That other 2% having short short hair that don't need one.

KayPink
May. 3, 2010, 10:58 AM
Impossible to do hunter hair sans hairnet. Hunter hair = hair up in a hairnet.

Mukluk
May. 3, 2010, 11:13 AM
Yes, since 98% of the rest of the female H/J riders wear them. That other 2% having short short hair that don't need one.

Well you are not exactly accurate. It appears that IndyGirl2560 also puts her hair up sans hairnet. So that makes at least two of us:D.

ExJumper
May. 3, 2010, 11:19 AM
If you have the right haircut, you can do somewhat acceptable hunter hair. As in: long enough, no layers, etc. I've had to manage without a hairnet once or twice -- like when I go to watch someone try a horse and suddenly they want me to hop on and I don't have my kit with me.

But why go to all that trouble? Cut your hair how you want and slap on a hairnet for crying out loud. As far as not liking the "look," I don't understand how you can even SEE a hairnet! When my hair is done, there is about three square inches of hairnet outside my helmet -- over my ears. And since the hairnet is brown and the hair is brown, you can't see the weave of the hairnet unless you are about 3 feet away from me.

I'm really not understanding the issue with hairnets -- or the adversion to them.

LH
May. 3, 2010, 11:29 AM
Just put a hair net on - you won't notice it after, um, about 30 seconds. Looks so much neater. You'll get over it. There are also different thicknesses of hairnets - some thinner or finer than others that work just fine.

BAC
May. 3, 2010, 12:15 PM
Hairnets are practically invisible and I don't even know mine is on, I wear one every time I ride. I don't like the messiness of wisps of hair sticking out if I didn't use a net.

Horseymama
May. 3, 2010, 02:39 PM
I too, HATE hairnets, always have always will. I do hunter hair without a hairnet, which is easy. I have long hair. And sometimes, if it is windy out, I will occasionally have wisps of hair flying. (Oh the HORROR!) I personally do not care!

Most of the time I just stuff all of it up in my helmet so you can't see any of it. I've been showing on the A circuit for 20 + years. I know "everybody" does it. Not a good enough reason for me. It is by far the dorkiest style in horse showing that I have ever seen!

I know there are die-hard hairnet crazies on this board, so I am ready to be flamed!

Dooner
May. 3, 2010, 02:47 PM
This is snarky, but--if you're one of those people who can't seem to manage to push your hairnet back off of your forehead, and you've got an inch showing beneath the front of your helmet, then I understand the lunch lady comparisons. ;)

*Liz*
May. 3, 2010, 03:21 PM
I can't stand hairnets either. It's not so much the look, but the compression of my poor sensitive ears! To counter this I cut my hair really, really short - and voila! no more hairnet required :)

Mukluk
May. 4, 2010, 12:43 AM
I am so pleased that I have some fellow hair net haters. I actually bought a pack of two hair nets at the tack store the day before the show. The sales lady assured me they were a "perfect match." I honestly tried to do the hunter hair with a hairnet but just couldn't stand the look. My internal dork-o-meter was spiking as in no can do. So I went sans hairnet. I noticed a gal at the show who had a visible hair net and I thought it looked really tacky. Maybe I am just hypersensitive. Honestly I don't understand the fixation with having all of your hair under the helmet. I have even thought about doing a french braid and putting the end under my hunt coat. In no other sport that I am aware of do women have to keep their hair under helmets. Think women of the US ski team, US cycling team what have you.
http://www.turizmtatilseyahat.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/lindsey-vonn-st-moritz.jpg OK rant over. Sorry to any and all that I may have offended. (by the way we showed in three classes and got two firsts and a second- so I guess the judge was OK with my hair).

ExJumper
May. 4, 2010, 12:57 AM
Think women of the US ski team, US cycling team what have you.
http://www.turizmtatilseyahat.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/lindsey-vonn-st-moritz.jpg

If Lindsey Vonn went in a hunter derby, she'd put her hair up, too.

Just as you can't stand hairnets, I can't fathom what the BFD is. So you'll go on doing what you do, and I'll go on doing what I do, and the world will continue to revolve on its axis. And if you notice my hairnet some day at a show I promise not to offer you fries with that.

showhorsegallery
May. 4, 2010, 09:11 AM
I hate them too.

nlk
May. 4, 2010, 09:22 AM
I am so pleased that I have some fellow hair net haters. I actually bought a pack of two hair nets at the tack store the day before the show. The sales lady assured me they were a "perfect match." I honestly tried to do the hunter hair with a hairnet but just couldn't stand the look. My internal dork-o-meter was spiking as in no can do. So I went sans hairnet. I noticed a gal at the show who had a visible hair net and I thought it looked really tacky. Maybe I am just hypersensitive. Honestly I don't understand the fixation with having all of your hair under the helmet. I have even thought about doing a french braid and putting the end under my hunt coat. In no other sport that I am aware of do women have to keep their hair under helmets. Think women of the US ski team, US cycling team what have you.
http://www.turizmtatilseyahat.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/lindsey-vonn-st-moritz.jpg OK rant over. Sorry to any and all that I may have offended. (by the way we showed in three classes and got two firsts and a second- so I guess the judge was OK with my hair).

It's like the horrors of Visible panty lines!!! :lol: Sorry had too!

I only wore them at shows until recently. What I did was buy a flat stretchy headband, put my hair in a low pony tail, slide head band on. Flip hair, put on helmet and there was NEVER any flyaways. Recently however my hair has gotten so long that I have to spread my ponytail over my head and it causes my to have "wings" So now I use the hair nets because I think the only thing dorkier then nets is wings!

The only problem I have is when the top net sometimes bunches by my ears and gets puffy....Any suggestions on fixing since I am here?

Mukluk
May. 4, 2010, 09:23 AM
If Lindsey Vonn went in a hunter derby, she'd put her hair up, too.

Just as you can't stand hairnets, I can't fathom what the BFD is. So you'll go on doing what you do, and I'll go on doing what I do, and the world will continue to revolve on its axis. And if you notice my hairnet some day at a show I promise not to offer you fries with that.

Not knowing Lindsey Vonn personally, I have no idea what she would do with her hair if she went in a hunter derby. I have nothing against anyone who wears a hairnet- I just don't like them and I was pleased with this post since I found that there are some other folks who feel the same way.

"Hair net or no
Have a great show!!!"

smay
May. 4, 2010, 09:31 AM
hahaha, well visible panty lines are WAAAAAAY worse than visible hair net in my opinion! Maybe do a switcheroo and see if that works!

islndgirl
May. 4, 2010, 12:00 PM
I used to not wear a hair net - i had really long hair with no layers. I parted my hair down the middle and over the ears and put a pony tail... then i hair sprayed the *$#@ out of it :). Would then put helmet on and hairspray some more. My hair would be rock hard on the parts over the ears and it never moved. In hindsight, it was far more work than using a hair net. Now I have layers and just use a hair net every day. Much easier and probably better for my hair too.

danosaur
May. 4, 2010, 05:11 PM
you can do your hair without a hairnet.
you can not, however, do HUNTER hair without a hairnet.

AmandaandTuff
May. 4, 2010, 05:57 PM
I don't do hunter hair, I just shove it up under my helmet so you can't see it. I use a rubber band and a head band. Simple.

Horseymama
May. 4, 2010, 07:23 PM
Why do you think you can't do hunter hair without a hairnet? Hunter hair is the hair swept down over your ears under your helmet. Why do you need a hairnet for that? All a hairnet does is keep the wisps from flying. I think the "hunter hair" style of the hair over the ears is pretty, but most people ruin it with a hairnet!

Gray Horse H/J
May. 4, 2010, 07:46 PM
I don't get the aversion to hair nets either, but to each his own.

I LIKE hair nets. I don't show, hell I haven't even taken a lesson in Lord knows how long, and I still wear them every time I have a helmet on. I wore them when I was just riding my horse at the walk when he was coming off an injury. I guess I am a hair net crazy! :lol:

Honestly, I think I look dumb without them. I could put my hair up without it, by just flipping the ponytail under, but then nothing is over my ears and it looks...funny. My hair is pretty layered, so it wouldn't stay over my ears on its own.

It truly takes me about two and a half seconds to do hunter hair, and you can can't see the hair net unless you're standing right next to me and staring at my ears. I think the only time they look stupid is in the second before the helmet goes on, and the second after it comes off. In those two seconds I will admit I'm sporting a pretty good lunchlady look.

But whatever, wear one or no. :)

BridalBridle
May. 4, 2010, 08:40 PM
Impossible to do hunter hair sans hairnet. Hunter hair = hair up in a hairnet.

BEAUTY KNOWS NO PAIN! and a hairnet doesn t hurt! I see it's a mental resistance but it's just what is appropriate. and tidy, and neat, and exactly what the quote says...it's hunter hair. aka hair up in hairnet.

Aven
May. 4, 2010, 09:05 PM
Dressage rider here. I love all these 'hunter hair' threads. I find them so amusing. I have shown some hunter, and can be neat and clean with out 'hunter hair' I don't have the spare cash to lay down on a second helmet just so it can be big enough to hide all my hair.

Intersting that someone should bring up a skier. A friend of mine who is a ski instructor is staying with me, and enjoying these threads too. But she has pointed out that hair under a ski helmet is a 'no go' due to safety issues. And I would have to agree.

I can't see all the fuss over something purely cosmetic that might affect the safety of ones head. (Though I do love neat and clean and polished turnout. I just happen to think that hunter hair is one of a variety of ways to do neat, stay in one place, no move hair.

Though I do remember being told by a judge that hunter judges are allergic to hair and that is why you need to make your hair look like its 'plastic' like that of a mannequin. I say that made me laugh. As a parent now I do wish that helmet manufactures would specifically make helmets for people who wanted to put their hair in them vs those of us who don't. (or do some testing to check to see what happens when you have hair in there..)

BrookdaleBay
May. 4, 2010, 09:51 PM
Dressage rider here. I love all these 'hunter hair' threads. I find them so amusing. I have shown some hunter, and can be neat and clean with out 'hunter hair' I don't have the spare cash to lay down on a second helmet just so it can be big enough to hide all my hair.

Intersting that someone should bring up a skier. A friend of mine who is a ski instructor is staying with me, and enjoying these threads too. But she has pointed out that hair under a ski helmet is a 'no go' due to safety issues. And I would have to agree.

I can't see all the fuss over something purely cosmetic that might affect the safety of ones head. (Though I do love neat and clean and polished turnout. I just happen to think that hunter hair is one of a variety of ways to do neat, stay in one place, no move hair.

Though I do remember being told by a judge that hunter judges are allergic to hair and that is why you need to make your hair look like its 'plastic' like that of a mannequin. I say that made me laugh. As a parent now I do wish that helmet manufactures would specifically make helmets for people who wanted to put their hair in them vs those of us who don't. (or do some testing to check to see what happens when you have hair in there..)

Well said!