PDA

View Full Version : best way to store a bridle??

superpony123
May. 2, 2010, 08:49 PM
I have debated for a while on selling my old pony's bridle, but i love this bridle, it's a $400 beval bridle that i got for a steal brand new at $180. it's such lovely quality and so attractive, so soft and nice. i just cant justify letting it go! (i mean, even if i dont have a pony right now.. ONE day)

so i need to figure out a way to store it so it hopefully wont get all moldy or dried out (i guess no matter what it would be a good idea to clean it and condition it 1x/month?)

how do you store your stuff so that it cant get all nasty? should i take apart the pieces? (i know sometimes in my old barn i'd have to go through piles of old tack and clean them up but there would be this NASTY green gunky stuff built up around all the metal parts and it took forever to take the bridle apart..)

sadlmakr
May. 2, 2010, 09:06 PM
I would suggest you take it apart and clean it with a mild dish detergent. Rinse with clean clear warm water and a washcloth. Then use Leather New or a similar leather dressing or conditioner
Let it dry and wrap each piece in a paper towel
roll up each rein and wrap it in paper toweling. Wrap the pieces in brown bag paper and put them in a box that will accomodate all the pieces. Label the box and put it up where you will not forget where it is. Do not put it in a zip lock bag and seal it. It needs air to not get moldy.
You might want to take the pieces out every so often and check them.
You might want to put some moth balls in an old gym sock and tie it off with a rubber band. Put it in the top of the box.
That would keep mice and rats out of it.
Any further suggestions are welcome as I want to learn more things and others ideas.
regards,sadlmakr

mvp
May. 2, 2010, 09:06 PM
I have debated for a while on selling my old pony's bridle, but i love this bridle, it's a $400 beval bridle that i got for a steal brand new at $180. it's such lovely quality and so attractive, so soft and nice. i just cant justify letting it go! (i mean, even if i dont have a pony right now.. ONE day)

so i need to figure out a way to store it so it hopefully wont get all moldy or dried out (i guess no matter what it would be a good idea to clean it and condition it 1x/month?)

how do you store your stuff so that it cant get all nasty? should i take apart the pieces? (i know sometimes in my old barn i'd have to go through piles of old tack and clean them up but there would be this NASTY green gunky stuff built up around all the metal parts and it took forever to take the bridle apart..)

I have bridles from the late 1980s. Here's how I do it:

1) Don't see a beautiful, well-made bridle that you have cared for appropriately so far, even if you don't have the horse for it right now. By and large, bridles get more expensive and more crappy. Entropy.

2) Keep it in your house. Climate controlled places you would live are all that tack needs to be cryogenically preserved. If you don't dry out or get moldy there, your tack won't either.

3) You need to figure out how much moisture is on the inside of the leather versus the shine on the surface. The bridle that's stiff and shiny as if always cleaned with glycerine soap only won't do as well as the one that is soft because someone used neatsfoot appropriately. If your bridle is on the dry side, the best thing you can do is oil it before you store it. Otherwise, you shouldn't have to take it out and clean it often. IMO, you can get into trouble cleaning already clean tack. It makes it into Felix Unger.

I do have a very neat and ship-shape way of winding them up for storage. It takes a bit to explain, but it is sexy and unusual. I'll give you that if you like.

Riley0522
May. 2, 2010, 09:13 PM
MVP got it right! I just going to say bring it in your house and leave it alone once it's clean. I have my old Pessoa which doesn't fit my horse, but I will never part with sitting in a chair in our office. Haven't touched it in a year. Someday I will buy a horse to fit this saddle!

ddashaq
May. 2, 2010, 11:03 PM
Agree with the two above me. All of my nice, but not currently being used stuff lives in my house. The bridles (one of which is from the 1980s) are in a bridle bag in my spare bedroom closet and are pulled out once a year for a light oiling. They are beautiful and ready for the day that they fit a horse that I own. Like MVP said, do NOT sell it if you like it.

doublesstable
May. 3, 2010, 12:15 AM
I agree with none of the above....

Put it in a box and send it to ME!!!

Hunter Mom
May. 3, 2010, 08:52 AM
I have my Arab's custom-made double bridle. It is still hanging in a closet in my old room at my folk's house. Dad made me a little bridle hanger that was similar in shape to her poll. I haven't done anything other than look at it in 20 years, and it's still soft & supple.

LOVE THIS SPORT
May. 3, 2010, 09:05 AM
If nothing else, be sure it is clean before you store it...

DMK
May. 3, 2010, 09:13 AM
I have a nice double sided bridle bag, the show bridles live in one pocket, the other unused good tack lives in the other (it really is a big bag, from Schneiders). And they all live in a closet in the house. The fact that the other bridles are in close proximity to the show bridles means there is a better than even chance I will remember to pull them out inspect, clean or oil as necessary at least once a year.

BAC
May. 3, 2010, 11:00 AM
I always take my bridles apart when I store them (already cleaned and conditioned). I put them in a pillowcase and store them on a shelf in my linen closet.

Some people recommend coating them with petroleum jelly first if they are going to be stored long term, but that sounds awfully messy when you want to use it again. :(

Go Fish
May. 3, 2010, 01:29 PM
I hang my unused bridles in the utility room. It's usually warm in there (hot water tank location) and just enough off and on again moisture to stop them from drying out without causing them to mold.

superpony123
May. 3, 2010, 08:26 PM
thanks for the great suggestions everyone :D i feel like i'm going to be one of those people that cant justify ever getting rid of a good bridle.. oh boy. guess that means i'm just going to have to buy a pony one day for this bridle, right?? ;)

Jumpers4life
May. 3, 2010, 08:54 PM
My jumping/show bridle has been sitting in my room for the winter. Before I took it home, I took it apart and cleaned it w/ glycerin soap, then conditioned w/ Passier Lederbasalm. I put it back together and it's been sitting on a clothes rack that I don't use (I figured that would be better for it than a hook)

Hope this helps!