PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Lovatt & Ricketts?

Melelio
May. 2, 2010, 08:39 PM
I have a friend who has a CC saddle by L&R that she may sell (though it fits MY horse! :winkgrin: )but doesn't know how to price it.

It's a chocolate brown, fairly flat seat, M-W tree, no rolls of any kind, or even suede knee pads-plain flap. Not highly used but used. Leather is a bit stiff. Says "Featherweight".

Anyone have a clue on pricing? I'd guess it's probably 10 years? old?

What's the 'in' thing for saddles these days? I'm out of the loop and told her I'd help find out what to list it for.

Thanks

Trixie
May. 2, 2010, 08:45 PM
Probably a few hundred bucks, if it's akin to one of the old flat crosbies. We have a Lovatt & Ricketts in our barn and it didn't sell priced at $300, albeit, it was sort of an odd size - I think it was a 15 or 16 narrow tree.

They're nice saddles, decent leather, but the market isn't great for the old flat saddles.

Showpony
May. 2, 2010, 08:47 PM
I rode in one where I work and bought one to school in at home. Both exactly like you described. I liked both, I thought they were very comfortable. Not too expensive or fashonable though. I bought my used (15 in) in really good condition for $250.00 on consignment at a tack store several years ago. The leather is still pretty stiff. My show saddle (which hasn't been used in ages but I can't part with) is a Beval.

Pally
May. 2, 2010, 09:55 PM
As others said, I've seen them advertised in the Crosby PDN range.....$200 - $400 depending on condition, size and motivation of the seller.

Melelio
May. 3, 2010, 10:57 AM
Is the whole brand just out of style?

Back when PDNs were big, it was basically them, Crump and Hermes....now you got every name and color. Crazy stuff...

BAC
May. 3, 2010, 11:32 AM
I rode in one where I work and bought one to school in at home. Both exactly like you described. I liked both, I thought they were very comfortable. Not too expensive or fashonable though. I bought my used (15 in) in really good condition for $250.00 on consignment at a tack store several years ago. The leather is still pretty stiff. My show saddle (which hasn't been used in ages but I can't part with) is a Beval.

You have a Beval saddle you love but you school in a cheap "schooling" saddle with stiff leather? Never heard of anyone having an everyday saddle and a show saddle.