PDA

View Full Version : Starting my horse and thoughts or oppinions.

gardenofsimple22
May. 2, 2010, 08:47 PM
I bought a 16.1 hand 6 ( now 7 yr old) TB back in October. he had been raced till he was 4 and retired sound. A girl bought him and had him started by a hunter/jumper trainer and he was going W/T/C and x rails. Then the girl got him back and felt overfaced ( she was a converted western rider so she prob. was) and put him out in a field for 8 months and didn't do anything with him ( at all. no feet. no deworming. no feeding).

I've had him since October and have had to basically get him back to healthy shape. I have not really ridden him since December and I'm moving him back to a "real' barn vs. my house.

Whats the best way to start him back slowly and correctly? I don't want to over tax him. Is it realistic to think he may be going around the ring at least flatting at unrated shows by the fall?

I was going to just pretend he's a very unfit 4 year old and go from there...

let me know what you think :

here he is now :
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32056601&l=a107b357fb&id=58102172

and then:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31712180&l=027aeb5353&id=58102172

jetsmom
May. 2, 2010, 08:54 PM
I don't see why not. Heck, you could have him back jumping some stuff by then.

He's very cute!

Going Bananas
May. 2, 2010, 11:24 PM
start him out on the hack. and get him going around one step at a time. after he hacks for at least about a month then try trotting poles and work up. dont rush him. let it be fun for him.

meupatdoes
May. 2, 2010, 11:33 PM
I bought a 16.1 hand 6 ( now 7 yr old) TB back in October. he had been raced till he was 4 and retired sound. A girl bought him and had him started by a hunter/jumper trainer and he was going W/T/C and x rails. Then the girl got him back and felt overfaced ( she was a converted western rider so she prob. was) and put him out in a field for 8 months and didn't do anything with him ( at all. no feet. no deworming. no feeding).

I've had him since October and have had to basically get him back to healthy shape. I have not really ridden him since December and I'm moving him back to a "real' barn vs. my house.

Whats the best way to start him back slowly and correctly? I don't want to over tax him. Is it realistic to think he may be going around the ring at least flatting at unrated shows by the fall?

I was going to just pretend he's a very unfit 4 year old and go from there...

let me know what you think :

here he is now :
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32056601&l=a107b357fb&id=58102172

and then:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31712180&l=027aeb5353&id=58102172

Absolutely.
He could probably be doing small courses by then.

Remember, the only fitness you need to develop is enough to do a half hour ride WTC -there's your schooling ride. That's really all, and it takes maybe a month. Once you have that level of fitness, you have enough there to play with him and school him and bring him along.

In my experience, TBs get fit quick and like to be kept mentally busy.

fourmares
May. 3, 2010, 01:56 AM
Since he's not living in a stall 24/7 and he's sound. I think you can easily start him back starting with 20 - 30 minutes of walk and trot, starting with more walk than trot. Increase the trotting by five minutes a week until you can trot 15 - 20 minutes (it doesn't have to be all at one time.) Once you can do that add canter.

Flash44
May. 3, 2010, 08:49 PM
Can you trail ride with a buddy? Trails are a great way to get a horse balanced and in shape, and it doesn't seem like so much work.

gardenofsimple22
May. 3, 2010, 09:29 PM
I'm pretty sure I can find a friend to pick us up to go trail ride someplace. I'm super excited , he moves Wednesday. I was going to start Monday with some easy ring work like you've mentioned.

I'm a bit worried because when I rode him this past weekend ( just walking ) in his paddock he got Balky and wouldn't go forward and when I pushed he would put his nose to his chest. Normally I'd just spank him and not put up with that crap but I couldn't push buttons because the paddocks not suited for a wild ride.

I'm assuming he'll do it again monday... do i just reteach forward when he balks and make him GO and keep doing that till he gets that he can't just stop? Or do i wait for fitness for the GO.

Starda01
May. 3, 2010, 09:54 PM
We have a horse at our barn who bc very balky. Also an OTTB, his owner, an older man, tried to ride him and he reared and got dumped. So the BO and one of our trainers have been working with him. This horse was also quite under muscled, but not neglected. They have done a lot of lunging, then just the rider getting on him and walking and trotting him. The horse would try and get away with what he could. One thing they would do is to turn him in a circle, and keep doing it until he's ready to go forward.

I also have a 7 yr old TB. Over the winter, for some reason he just wouldn't go forward. He is one who will try to get behind the bit. I also have used side reins bc he would try to rear up and the side reins, (used loosely) seemed to keep him from doing that. I also, without side reins, used the circling strategy when he gets balky. It does work, and it isn't abusive.

Hopefully, you won't have a problem with him. But I'd expect him to test you. Anyway, he's very cute, good luck with him.

gardenofsimple22
May. 11, 2010, 08:02 PM
We've started back!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32075531&l=dd91779a04&id=58102172
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs334.ash1/28859_547700916392_58102172_32075552_6862118_n.jpg

ridingschmedly
May. 12, 2010, 10:02 AM
I have no advice I just wanted to say I HATE when people just dump thier horses in fields and leave them! My trainer is renting to own a barn and the guy who built it, left his 5 horses their for 5 years without touching them. When my trainer was looking at the barn we would visit periodicly and every time we were the ones picking hooves, brushing knots out and changing water. I felt horrible for them. My trainer ended up getting the barn and paying for thier vet care, farrier bills and such. We ended up having to put the older geldings down, he was 35. :C it just angers me to no end.