PDA

View Full Version : Fake Tails

Evntr4Life
May. 2, 2010, 05:53 PM
I'm going to a show this weekend with my chestnut mare and she has the shortest tail. It look real dinky. Especially since she's such a nice mare. It's a schooling show and was wondering what people's feelings are on fake tails?

bascher
May. 2, 2010, 06:02 PM
Personally I don't find them necessary for a schooling show. Most times I don't even see horses wearing them at C, B, or even smaller A shows, only at the really big A shows. But that might be because people are really good at blending them in I guess haha :)

But if you really think it will make the overall presentation of your horse look better and you can blend it without people knowing it's a fake tail, I see no reason not to go for it whenever you want :)

kookicat
May. 2, 2010, 06:53 PM
I think that they look silly. The never look like a real tail to me.

ashley.
May. 2, 2010, 07:01 PM
If you can put it in well enough to look natural, definitely go for it! IMO you can never put too much extra effort into your show turnout, no matter what rating it is!

ExJumper
May. 3, 2010, 10:52 AM
I think that they look silly. The never look like a real tail to me.

That's probably because when you saw all the GOOD ones, you didn't know they were fakes.

To the OP: I wouldn't personally worry about it at a schooling show, but if you do something bigger and want to dress up that hind end a bit, go for it! I wouldn't recommend buying one "off the shelf," though. Go to your braider -- or if you don't have one, go to whoever does the big barns in your area. The braider will custom mix a tail for you that will be the right thickness and length for your particular horse. She will also show you how to install it properly.

Good luck!

M. O'Connor
May. 3, 2010, 10:58 AM
I can't abide them.

But that's just me.

And I can make a really nice mud knot, and have been known to use it.

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii168/MCL2057/Inner%20Bay%20in%20Unison%20VA/?action=view&current=BearMudknot.jpg

This was how we sent a horse into the ring at Upperville two years ago. It caused a stir, in quite a good way.

Somermist
May. 3, 2010, 10:59 AM
That's probably because when you saw all the GOOD ones, you didn't know they were fakes.

I wouldn't recommend buying one "off the shelf," though. Go to your braider -- or if you don't have one, go to whoever does the big barns in your area. The braider will custom mix a tail for you that will be the right thickness and length for your particular horse. She will also show you how to install it properly.

Ditto!:D

LH
May. 3, 2010, 11:31 AM
I just bought a beautiful one from The Show Pen for my dark, dark bay horse with a mostly black tail.

But for a chestnut horse, I would probably have a braider make one. If you know how to properly put one in, you can put it in without even braiding the tail down.

With a good fake tail, you can't tell the difference from that or a real one.

mypaintwattie
May. 6, 2010, 01:11 PM
My horse has a nice tail, but I wanted it to look a little fuller, especially since we venture over to the breed circuit side of things. Her tail colors are very mixed- black, chestnut, flaxen, but I found an extension through The Show Pen that matches perfectly, and when it's in you have to take a double look to try to figure out if its all natural.

JillCozza
May. 6, 2010, 01:14 PM
if you are good at putting one in you can never tell a horse has one on. I love to use them at shows. I think they really add to a horses overall apperance if you can get one in and you can't tell it's a fake. On the flip side, if you cannot put one on her a "hide" the fact it's a fake I would just hold off since it's a schooling show.
Good Luck
:)

Lucassb
May. 6, 2010, 01:18 PM
If a horse's natural tail detracts or distracts from an overall polished appearance, I'd use a fake.

My personal pet peeve is that so many people now use them on horses that have perfectly normal tails, it makes horses with decent natural tails look skimpy unless they have one, too.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 6, 2010, 01:29 PM
If you are going to try it - do a test run with it in first. My first horse (move up from ponies) had a thin, short tail and we put a fake in. He proceeded to carry both tails a la Arab and looked ridiculous.

Go Fish
May. 6, 2010, 01:55 PM
I think a "tail enhancement" can balance the hip on a horse when braided. I don't like the look of the one-pounders that the QH people use, but a nice 1/4 to 1/2 pound tail looks terrific on most horses.

Properly matched and trimmed, then attached correctly, a fake tail is pretty hard to distinguish from the real thing.

My gelding wears one, my mare finally grew enough tail that she can go without this year.

irideponyhunters
May. 6, 2010, 10:17 PM
I would definitly for a C, A, AA show or even a really nice local circuit. I dont think its necessary for a schooling show but you do what you want

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 6, 2010, 11:35 PM
I hang a lot of fake tails when I braid, and generally find that the people using them have horses with less than adequate natural tails. Every once in a while, I'll come across one and roll my eyes, but they never end up looking terrible.

My horse has a moderate tail. I could probably get away with using a fake, but I don't really find it necessary. A barn mate recently picked up a very modest tail for her mare who's a little bit spindly looking. It's made a world of difference taking the angles down on an otherwise severe looking horse.

MichiganHunter91
May. 7, 2010, 12:33 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the tail if it's a schooling show. If you must, then make sure you have somebody who knows how to put on a fake tail and make it look natural for you.

imapepper
May. 7, 2010, 11:46 AM
I rode a horse for a friend of mine (who is a braider) at a small local show. The mare had a scrubby tail which of course embarrassed her braider mom. And so a fake tail was used and it looked great. But the mare tended to wring her tail :eek: so halfway through the last course....she lost her fake tail while executing the small buck to lead change :lol: It was pretty funny. I am very glad that happened at a small show. I might have been a bit embarrassed if it happened at a bigger show :lol: But if you use one, make sure it's fastened correctly and if your horse tends to flip or wring their tail....maybe don't use one :winkgrin:

ridingschmedly
May. 12, 2010, 10:33 AM
Never had to use one. My boy has one thick tail. I guess if you do a really nice job, and blend nicely, it would be okay. Since it's just a schooling show, its not nessesary but you can experiment.

judybigredpony
May. 12, 2010, 10:39 AM
My horse has a nice tail, but I wanted it to look a little fuller, especially since we venture over to the breed circuit side of things. Her tail colors are very mixed- black, chestnut, flaxen, but I found an extension through The Show Pen that matches perfectly, and when it's in you have to take a double look to try to figure out if its all natural.

I have a question??? Don't the rules for breeding and conformation classes forbid use of artificial appliances???? And a fake tail falls in that catagorey.
Like the "Young Hunter Under Saddle" classes where they have to strip. And mind you a well placed fake tail certainly enhances the picture but over abundance of tail just screams FAKE

Sparky
May. 12, 2010, 11:57 AM
I have a question??? Don't the rules for breeding and conformation classes forbid use of artificial appliances???? And a fake tail falls in that catagorey.
Like the "Young Hunter Under Saddle" classes where they have to strip. And mind you a well placed fake tail certainly enhances the picture but over abundance of tail just screams FAKE

I think wattie is talking about breed shows (AQHA, Paints, etc) not the USEF breeding classes. 99% of the exhibitors at breed shows use fake tails.

My advice to the OP would be to use the tail at any schooling show you can get to--it will give the horse a chance to get used to it.

LH
May. 12, 2010, 12:11 PM
My advice to the OP would be to use the tail at any schooling show you can get to--it will give the horse a chance to get used to it.

And this is one of those examples of something you DO want to try at home. Make sure you give the tail a test run at home - most horses are fine with them, and in fact it will make some horses a little quieter with the weight of the tail if they like to swish a little. but every now and then there's a horse/pony that spends the entire 2 minutes in the ring trying to get rid of the tail . . .

Small Change
May. 13, 2010, 07:37 AM
What type of top do most people prefer on their false tails? What style is the easiest to hang, and which are easiest to hide? Does it make a difference whether the tail is braided or not? Does anyone have a good resource that explains how to hang the different styles of tail?

Twenty questions is now finished. ;)

Sparky
May. 13, 2010, 08:48 AM
Barb Delf answers most of your questions on www.customtails.com.

Small Change
May. 13, 2010, 02:02 PM
Perfect, thanks!

Midge
May. 13, 2010, 04:20 PM
The type tail shown on the custom tails website are the worst possible top for a hunter tail. Do not get one of that type.

Below is the most common top, although not the best and these tails are often banged and too short.

http://www.theshowpen.com/v/vspfiles/photos/NatLoop-2.jpg

The best type is a flat top, not the style called wrap, but if the wrap was folded in thirds and sewn together with a small cloth loop at the top. I looked for a picture on line and couldn't find one, so I'll try to remember to take a picture of mine tomorrow.

howardh
May. 13, 2010, 05:29 PM
You can buy many tails off the shelf in 1/2 pound and one pound or even 3/4 pound. Custom tails will be more money and most hunters have black tails or some common mix of brown.

My Trophy Tail from Smartpak was perfect, shipped in a day and was real hair.

In the Quarter horse world, most folks use a tail even if they don't need one as the weight stops the horse from wringing its tail. I have seen hunter folks buying a tail for the same reason.

A full tail just plain looks better. You spent the money on the lessons, the braider, the helmet.....I guess if a nice tail separates you from the next competitor, I would do it!

JMO!

Small Change
May. 13, 2010, 06:07 PM
The type tail shown on the custom tails website are the worst possible top for a hunter tail. Do not get one of that type.

I wondered about that. The big honkin' top would be really hard to hide under a braid, right? Do the flatter tops attach similarly though, but are just easier to hide under a braid?

Midge
May. 13, 2010, 09:24 PM
I didn't read the desription of how to put it in but any method that works is the right one. I take two pieces of braiding yarn, pull them through the loop on the top so the tail is sort of hanging in the middle. I tie a knot to keep the tail in the middle.

If I am going to braid the tail, I measure down to where the fake tail should hang, then I start braiding the tail. When I get to the point where the fake tail should go in, I just incorporate my two pieces in to the tail braid. The yarn usually ends in the pinwheel part of the braid.

If I am not braiding the tail, I measure down to where the tail should go and start a french braid with the yarn incorporated. Once my french braid has covered about the top two or three inches, I tie it off.

Put five braiders together and you'll have five ways to put in fake tails. If you struggle with my method, find a braider to show you theirs and it might work better for you.

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
May. 13, 2010, 09:52 PM

Naw. They all look silly.

Sparky
May. 14, 2010, 10:40 AM
I wondered about that. The big honkin' top would be really hard to hide under a braid, right? Do the flatter tops attach similarly though, but are just easier to hide under a braid?

Uhhmm, the "big honkin top" is about the size of a spool of thread. Actually, the way I attach mine is to make a braid in the horses real tail just above the BACK of the tailbone, put a dark colored zip tie through whatever kind of top the fake tail has, put it through the braid at the point where the tail will hang the best, then pull it tight. My braiders have never had a problem working around it.

mvp
May. 14, 2010, 12:06 PM

And fake.

I must say, I think adding a fake tail at a schooling show is a high-risk proposition. If done well, no one will notice how much more money you put into completing the look than is required for this level. If you do it badly, you look excessive.

I'd like to say the same for rated shows. Sadly, however, that Prelapsarian moment-- when people thought real boobs and real tails were worth something-- has already passed.

ExJumper
May. 14, 2010, 12:22 PM

Unless you went to EVERY horse on the grounds and felt their tailbone, you have no idea how many of them had fake tails in that you didn't notice because they looked natural.

Make sense?

ExJumper
May. 14, 2010, 12:24 PM
If you get one with a good top (not the custom tails top) you don't need to braid the tail to use the fake. That's why I recommend going to your braider. Not only will it be custom blended, but she will show you how to install it and it will be the proper top.

My fake looked spectacular and because of the way the top was done, you he could wear it every day and did not have to get his tail braided.

Somermist
May. 14, 2010, 12:26 PM
Unless you went to EVERY horse on the grounds and felt their tailbone, you have no idea how many of them had fake tails in that you didn't notice because they looked natural.

Make sense?

This is perfect.

ExJumper
May. 14, 2010, 12:53 PM
I'll step up here and post some pictures! My old hunter had an acceptable tail when left loose, but when it was braided it looked pretty damn puny. Here are pictures: loose and natural, loose with the fake (2 of those), braided and natural, and braided with the fake.

Enjoy!

ExJumper
May. 14, 2010, 12:57 PM
And the braided fake in action.

Go Fish
May. 14, 2010, 12:57 PM

Make sense?

Absolutely true...

I think someone mentioned that fakes are put on a tail swisher to keep the tail quiet. Isn't that better than the lengths people used to go to? Like blocks, tail cutting, tying tails, etc.? I know for a fact that this is reason AQHA folks have been using heavy tails for years. QHs absolutely will be penalized for moving the tail for any reason. Those fake tails are not for looks. ;)

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 14, 2010, 01:25 PM
Absolutely true...

I think someone mentioned that fakes are put on a tail swisher to keep the tail quiet. Isn't that better than the lengths people used to go to? Like blocks, tail cutting, tying tails, etc.? I know for a fact that this is reason AQHA folks have been using heavy tails for years. QHs absolutely will be penalized for moving the tail for any reason. Those fake tails are not for looks. ;)

I agree that trying a heavy tail is a good thing for swishers, but a 1lb tail is not going to make much difference for a horse that has a "moody" tail. I've actually seen a few that swish MORE with the tail as if they're irritated by it. This is why it's important to try it at home for a few rides. Most will get used to it relatively quickly, but some remain perpetually annoyed.

That being said, I've met very few horses going in the rated hunter rings that need a giant, heavy tail. The bigger tails are really reserved for the nearly bald and breed specific rings, and even there, don't always make much of a difference. In the same vein, I've met very, very few horses that can't comfortably wear a lightweight tail while remaining content.

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
May. 14, 2010, 02:11 PM

Make sense?

No, I don't need to do that. As soon as the horse moves its tail, anyone can spot the fake ones.

Regarding the required lack of tail movement in some circles: sorry, but in my opinion, that's a bad concept. Horses use their tails while they are moving, and should be allowed to.

So, one ridiculous concept -- no tail movement -- leads to another -- fake tails. Chalk it up to a big WTF in my book, but as long as the horse isn't hurt by any of this, then go have fun with the fake tails, peeps.

ExJumper
May. 14, 2010, 02:16 PM
No, I don't need to do that. As soon as the horse moves its tail, anyone can spot the fake ones.

Well, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I have no doubt that you can spot some fake tails. But you can not know that every tail you think is real isn't a fake. That's simply impossible.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 14, 2010, 06:49 PM
Regarding the required lack of tail movement in some circles: sorry, but in my opinion, that's a bad concept. Horses use their tails while they are moving, and should be allowed to.

So, one ridiculous concept -- no tail movement -- leads to another -- fake tails. Chalk it up to a big WTF in my book, but as long as the horse isn't hurt by any of this, then go have fun with the fake tails, peeps.

Are you somehow under the impression that every horse wearing a fake tail has it to keep the tail stationary? How did you reach this conclusion?

In the breed world, where it is not uncommon to see 1.5 and 2lb tails, there are SOME people that believe the weight keeps swishers from swishing. You'll find a lot more people that are using them because they're popular.

At the USEF rated shows, the use of fake tails is almost always cosmetic. Period. Perhaps there are a few that use them for weight, but I've never met one, and I braid a fair amount of strangers' horses.

And there is NO WAY you'd be able to tell every single horse with a fake tail was wearing one. Poorly hung tails or tails hung on horses that have very, very sparse real hair are often easy to spot. But a well-hung tail is impossible to identify- PARTICULARLY when the horse swishes it.

Xanthoria
May. 14, 2010, 06:54 PM
I think most false tails look fake - I don't like the look. Plus if you're judging a horse's looks (breeding) in the show ring, tail thickness is at least partially, if not all, genetics. I don't really think fake tails should be allowed... they're prohibited in many breed classes.

Add to that the fact that the majority come from horses killed and skinned in China and... no way would I ever use one :no:

Richmond
May. 14, 2010, 11:04 PM
They do not hang the same and they do not move the same. The fake ones, no matter how well put in, are only attached in one place not all along the tail bone the way the tail really grows, and I agree that you can tell. I think they also seem to do a funny thing between their back legs as they canter and jump that real tails do not...but have at it if you want!;)

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 15, 2010, 01:09 AM
They do not hang the same and they do not move the same. The fake ones, no matter how well put in, are only attached in one place not all along the tail bone the way the tail really grows, and I agree that you can tell. I think they also seem to do a funny thing between their back legs as they canter and jump that real tails do not...but have at it if you want!;)

Again, you clearly don't understand how a professional braider hangs a fake tail. When I hang a tail (and although I braid "professionally", I don't tout myself as a braider along the lines of the best- you'd be better off listening to a few others on this thread), SEVERAL inches of the lower portion of the braid include hair taken from the fake tail itself. So not only is the tail connected at "one place", it is attached for several lengths of the actual tail braid. The fake tail is incorporated into the real tail via the "overlap" that occurs when braiding down the tail bone. The "end" of the fake is actually in the bottom 2/3-3/4 of the real tail itself via the actual tail braid.

We don't just pin these suckers on as an afterthought... there's an actual technique to doing it well, and unfortunately, like many other things in this business, it seems that technique has been overshadowed by those that don't know what they're doing. Or by those that don't know what they're looking at...

Midge
May. 15, 2010, 11:49 AM
Probably half the horses I braid on a regular basis get fake tails. I am extremely concientious about putting them in correctly, but if it is not a good fake tail to begin with, I can't make it look like a real tail.

The funny thing between their legs happens usually when using a grand champion tail because even the tapered ones are too blunt at the bottom and the top is too thick to get them to blend well with the real tail. They are also often too short so to get them to look even remotely correct, they have to hang too low. A good fake tail will look long and thin and unless your horse is folically challenged, it will be plenty.

My favorite fake tail story is of course the time another braider and I were watching at the ring and he said, 'Honestly, you have to get them to quit putting a fake tail in that one. It looks ridiculous.'

No fake tail. :D

Somermist
May. 15, 2010, 12:11 PM
Probably half the horses I braid on a regular basis get fake tails. I am extremely concientious about putting them in correctly, but if it is not a good fake tail to begin with, I can't make it look like a real tail.

My favorite fake tail story is of course the time another braider and I were watching at the ring and he said, 'Honestly, you have to get them to quit putting a fake tail in that one. It looks ridiculous.'

No fake tail. :D

THIS!! Great story.:lol:

TheOrangeOne
May. 15, 2010, 01:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIPjhTVAe80

Here's my horse going around with the fake tail, just as far as the movement... I apologize for the commentary :lol:

Richmond
May. 22, 2010, 10:44 AM
FrenchFry, I do understand exactly how a fake is put in by really good pro braiders. However, I still think I can tell the difference. I don't care if you like them and want to use them, that is totally your decision. But I also know that in prob 95% of the cases, I can tell. I am also SURE most people don't care about what I think so everyone can go right on with their plans!!;)

flea
May. 23, 2010, 11:35 PM
I have only seen the fairly heavy ones at QH shows. It is the movement of the tails that make me think one is fake. They look good but there is a slight lag time or something when the move them. That and they all look so perfect. But thats what the judges want so there you go. I event and to my knowledge haven't seen them used but who knows, maybe someone has put them in in the dressage phase, but no one I know.

DMK
May. 24, 2010, 09:31 AM
Hey, midge need to pick your brain about fake tail sources. Lido and the Coat, I mean, Tail of Many Colors may thwart my plan to have him inherit Robbie's tail. (Lido's tail over performs on color variation to make up for its folically challenged nature)

Sure, I know you are sitting there thinking ... "Lido... red chestnut with roaning on his flanks ... Robbie ... blood bay. Did she put crack in her coffee this morning?"

But that tail is a tail of a 1000 horses and son of a bitch if it isn't black with brown hairs coming out of the bottom of the dock. Sure it's blond on the top and edges and liver in the middle, but it's black in the center (now that he has enough tail to make a call).

Anyway, not sure black (with brown) is 100% the right choice so I may need to rethink it after I braid it in a few times and need to be prepared with options!

All those that don't think there are a lot of fake tails at rated shows are not wandering the aisles at night after dinner to see how many tails are hung up by the stall or in the tack room ready to be put in. Even at local shows. I help braid at the local finals and one year I did nothing but tails all night long. Every last one of them had a fake (and it was a fake with a knobby end, damnit!). Oh I take that back. 2 did not have fakes. It was also abundantly clear they had never been braided before that night. Yay. Turns out something is more obnoxious than hanging a bad tail. Honestly, I don't think they were all purchased *just* for finals. Those tails had seen regular use before that night.

Last but not least, don't by a knobby end tail if you ever plan to braid up your horse's tail. Watch how tight a braider does up a tail. Imagine that knob between the braid and the dock for 6-12 hours. Ouch.

supershorty628
May. 24, 2010, 10:00 AM

Make sense?

Just for the sake of curiosity...

One of these ponies has a fake tail in. One doesn't. Which one has it?
Pony #1: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v217/206/28/1357770419/n1357770419_30589230_7442.jpg
Pony #2: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1459949955054933411kxYBhT

witherbee
May. 24, 2010, 10:25 AM
My horse's tail got chewed practially in half by one of our yearlings. Will a fake tail work if the tail is short? To add to my woes, he is a dapple gray (or yellow right now lol ). He's also overweight right now, so a skimpy tail makes his butt look even worse:

Here he was before the chewing happened:
http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/wtryan/Jeffrey/?action=view&current=100_3196.jpg

I've been to sad to take any pictures of the "after" :o(

Richmond
May. 24, 2010, 11:01 AM
Super Shorty, for me, I have to see them in person. As I said before there is something different about the way they move. A horses natural tail does not get hung up the same way between their back legs as a fake does...at least to me it looks different. If they are braided it does make it a little harder to tell but not usually impossible.

supershorty628
May. 24, 2010, 01:59 PM
Super Shorty, for me, I have to see them in person. As I said before there is something different about the way they move. A horses natural tail does not get hung up the same way between their back legs as a fake does...at least to me it looks different. If they are braided it does make it a little harder to tell but not usually impossible.

I can't do in person but can do video... :)

Pony #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLZdOyr2WnQ
Pony #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyYNrlOsPIU

DMK
May. 24, 2010, 03:14 PM
I can't do in person but can do video... :)

Call. Raise. Cards, please. :D

I'd have to make my choice purely by which one was thicker, not by which one was carried differently. And thicker is no indication of fake or not.

Richmond
May. 24, 2010, 04:28 PM
The videos are pretty grainey and I am sure not taken for maximum tail views ;), but I would guess the bay pony has a fake on...the grey pony is so active w/its that it is hard to see in the video, though.

BigDreams07
May. 24, 2010, 05:12 PM
I agree- the bay/roanish pony. When it jumps you can see its tail "split".

imapepper
May. 24, 2010, 05:14 PM
Absolutely true...

Didn't work on the one that I was riding :lol: I have to video to prove it. She still swished hard enough to eventually loose the tail on course :eek: