PDA

View Full Version : Ponytail down for schooling- faux pas?

SquareOxer
May. 2, 2010, 04:02 PM
I tend to be oblivious to fashion. I put my hair up like a normal citizen when I show, but is it a faux pas to leave it down for schooling at home?

I'm finally at a barn with other people who ride when I do, and I figure I might want to check up on this :P

blackcat95
May. 2, 2010, 04:09 PM
Depends on what the barn requirements/ instructor requirements are. At my old (lesson) barn, everyone was basically required to wear their hair up w/ a net like in a show. It's not required at the barn I'm at now, but I do it anyway out of habit. Most trainers don't care, so I guess it's a personal preference... I like having mine out of the way.

*Liz*
May. 2, 2010, 04:10 PM
Personally, I don't think it's a faux pas if the hair is neatly kept in a pony tail or braid - loose or unkempt hair... no.

When my hair was really long I always flipped it up into my helmet or had it in a high braid or double bun for sans-helmet schools. Now that it's super short, it's a non-issue, but I do feel like it's always more professional to have as little hair (and skin for that matter) showing as possible. Amongst other reasons, it just makes for a neater, cleaner overall picture.

twobays
May. 2, 2010, 04:21 PM
I like to wear my hair up for schooling because I have long, layered hair that gets messy, but if the hair is relatively short (not flopping a foot down your back), that's fine.

kateh
May. 2, 2010, 04:23 PM
Depends on the barn. Some barns don't care one way or another, some just want it to be neat (neat pony, low bun, braid, etc), and some (usually the serious competition barns) require hair up at all times. Last summer I got a new helmet that only fits if my hair's up, so I just got used to it. I kind of like it, it's a lot neater and also cooler to have it up off the back of my neck. Although it was amusing when I pulled out a hairnet for a trail ride in my friend's backyard lol.

Lone
May. 2, 2010, 05:02 PM
I've never ridden at a barn that cared, but I always pull my hair up under my helmet anyway. I think it looks a lot nicer, keeps my hair from getting tangled up (I have long hair) and keeps my neck cool!

mvp
May. 2, 2010, 09:05 PM
I'm hunter hair-- any time, any place. I can do it by braille. I can do it with hair making the "walk of shame" home. I'm hunter hair with a green Troxel with a melted side, for God's sake.

LShipley
May. 2, 2010, 09:58 PM
It's not "required" to tuck your hair up under your helmet, but the trainer will make fun of girls with long ponytails hanging down their backs. So you either learn to develop a thick skin or you tuck your hair up.

I usuallu have my hair at a knot (twisted up in a ponytail holder) at the base of my neck, so it's not "hunter hair" but it is not hanging down my back.

indygirl2560
May. 3, 2010, 01:15 AM
When I used to ride at a fancy A show barn, it was a "no no" to have hair out of your helmet. At my current barn, which still shows A's but is more low key, people will have their hair neatly pulled back. From my old barn though, I've gotten into the habit of putting my hair up every time I ride(it takes me two seconds extra than leaving my hair out, and keeps all the wispy hairs out of my face).

doublesstable
May. 3, 2010, 01:18 AM
I keep several hair nets in my tack room and put it up. My helmet fits better.. Ha Ha.....

Also, this new barn, observe what the other riders are doing... and what the trainers are doing.. that may be of some help....

Pirateer
May. 3, 2010, 04:12 AM
I don't get on a horse without my hunter hair done. Ever. (And I've been in lessons where people were dismissed for not having theirs done).

That said, I think I'm probably the only person at my barn who does their hair. (And am the only one not cursing my hair at the horse shows in the morning....hmm....coincidence?

copper1
May. 3, 2010, 08:41 AM
Everyone is way TOO anal about the whole hunter hair thing! Hair should ALWAYS be neat and out of your face, but to wonder if it is ok to ride with a pony tail???? I also am amazed at the length some girls will go to make hunter hair when they don't ahve enough to do hunter hair-using panty hose to make the look? You all just don't have enough to do!
I agree that in the hunter ring, if you have long hair, it does need to be done in hunter hair. If it isn't long enough for that, it needs to be short enough not to be seen flapping or a hairnet to corral it. if you are home riding or schooling, the hair needs to be out of your face but your helmet needs to fit so if you fitted the helmet with your hair up, it is not going to fit while the hair is down.
(this is all, of course, my own humble opinion!)

trinityhill
May. 3, 2010, 09:57 AM
I don't require my students to put their hair up, as long as it is tied back and out of their face at home that is acceptable. Not saying it doesn't make me feel good when a student comes to their lesson or hack, after taking the steps to make themselves as neat and tidy as possible, (hair up, boots clean, nicely fitted shirt, and a clean pony) without being asked. Shows me that they are serious about being there. Now for myself, in order to set a good example (and because having it down drives me bonkers) I put my hair up every ride.

RockinHorse
May. 3, 2010, 10:20 AM
(And I've been in lessons where people were dismissed for not having theirs done).

:rolleyes:

JumpWithPanache
May. 3, 2010, 10:39 AM
I've not been at barns that required hair to be up. However, I started doing hunter hair at home for practice so I wouldn't be that person spending ten minutes trying to get my hair organized under my helmet right before I need to show. I found that it actually keeps me cooler during the summer since my hair isn't coating my neck. The trainer at my current barn is totally laid back about lesson attire, always safety first. But for the girls who want to show she's asked them to "get serious" with breeches, tall boots, and hunter hair for their lessons. They look great and it shows that they've made an effort. Some go all out and make sure the turnout of both themselves and their horse is spotless, a few are kind of half-hearted. Even though it's a "looks" or "beauty" thing you can see that those who seriously make the effort to look good are also putting in more serious effort to ride well.

So short answer: hunter hair depends on two things... 1) what do you want to do with your hair and 2) what does your barn prefer

Across Sicily
May. 3, 2010, 10:46 AM
I'm at a pretty nice A show barn where there isn't a spoken dress code or hair code... most people I see do tuck their hair up in the helmet or wear it in a tight bun at the nape of the neck, but I've never heard anything about it either way from the trainers. I like to put mine in the helmet; keeps my neck nice and cool, and it's very neat. Most people tend to wear breeches/boots/polos/belts for lessons and slightly more relaxed attire for schooling. (T-shirts, etc)

LookinSouth
May. 3, 2010, 11:14 AM
I think it depends on your personal preference and generally what you see at your particular barn. My barn isn't a hunter barn but several of us always wear our hair up or in a bun at the nape. Other people wear their hair in a pony tail or braid. For me it's a matter of neatness and comfort. When I had my horse at home I put my hair up to trail ride in my own backyard, to me it's more comfortable than a pony tail flopping on my neck and back. It is also cooler for me in the warmer weather. I keep a hairnet tied to my helmet so I always have one and because I wear it up so consistently it takes a matter of seconds.

Anyplace Farm
May. 3, 2010, 11:16 AM
Whether I ride at a barn with other people or not, mine goes up, in a hairnet. Every. Single. Time.

The only beauty I want to see flowing out behind me is my horse's tail.

Dramapony_misty
May. 3, 2010, 11:31 AM
When I'm schooling in my show helmet, hair has to go up or else it will be too big. You can bet your bottom, though, that it isn't the "traditional" hunter hair. I can't stand anything over my ears (especially in the summer heat...I will tough it out and use it for warmth in cold weather), but my hair is up and tucked in neatly with a hair net.

If my hair was short enough that I couldn't pull it back to tuck it up and my helmet still fit, I wouldn't go through the extra hassle.

kellyb
May. 3, 2010, 11:33 AM
It's not a faux pas, just a personal choice. Personally I think hunter hair looks very neat and tidy, so I do it every time, every ride. Plus it makes show days a breeze when it comes to doing your hair.

Bogie
May. 3, 2010, 11:56 AM
This whole discussion amazes me.

Even when I rode at some real dressage diva barns no one spent so much time worrying about how their hair looked during lessons/hacking and no one was ever dismissed from a lesson for not having their hair properly put up :eek:.

I sure wish people would stop worrying about hair and start thinking about safety.

I know it's not popular to quote the studies (mostly done for bike helmets) that show that putting hair up decreases your level of protection, but once I read that, I thought long and hard about putting my long hair up under my helmet except for showing. Even with a helmet sized for hair up, I'm not convinced that you have the same level of protection.

I agree that hair should be neat. Right along with riding in clothes that are appropriate and not too revealing. But I just don't get hunter hair!

BTW, as a foxhunter, hair nets are required because you don't want your hair blowing around your helmet, getting in your eyes or even worse, getting caught in a branch! They are not a fashion statement.

Poniesofmydreams
May. 3, 2010, 12:26 PM
I am with Bogie. If someone told me how to wear my hair schooling it would be the first and last time. To control your students to this degree, wow what an ego.
I pay my trainer to teach me not belittle or make me wear my hair a certain way. She would be as mystified as I am by this.

Jaegermonster
May. 3, 2010, 03:20 PM
I think just like anything else, how you train is how you are.
If you pay a little extra attention to your and your horse's turnout on a regular basis it's not so much extra stuff on show day. I try to always make sure we are both neat and clean, no dirty boots on me or her, presentable tack etc.

I don't do hunter hair every time I get on a horse, but I do pull it neatly back in a pony tail under my helmet for lessons or at home.
If we had a big deal guest instructor, or for clinics or if I knew my trainer was having "guests" (I trailer in for lessons) I would do the whole deal. But just to pop over for a lesson I do a pony tail. But then it isn't Beacon Hill either.

I also think a lot depends on what barn you are riding at and at what level.
Turnout for a lesson at Beacon Hill is going to be a lot different than turnout for a lesson at Joe's Hack Stable in East Podunk.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 3, 2010, 03:25 PM
I don't mind when students leave a pony tail out, as long as its neat, and out of the way. I've gotten lazy, and do it myself. But I do standard hunter hair w/the net and everything, but just leave the pony tail hanging out instead of flipping it under. Mostly because my hair is twice as long as it used to be, and its hot now.

Dooner
May. 3, 2010, 03:49 PM
I started doing hunter hair at home for practice so I wouldn't be that person spending ten minutes trying to get my hair organized under my helmet right before I need to show. I found that it actually keeps me cooler during the summer since my hair isn't coating my neck.

Same cause and effect--though it's more like 30 minutes if I'm out of practice.

And not just cooler in the summer, the "patties" keep my ears warmer in the winter.

doublesstable
May. 3, 2010, 04:04 PM
I don't require my students to put their hair up, as long as it is tied back and out of their face at home that is acceptable. Not saying it doesn't make me feel good when a student comes to their lesson or hack, after taking the steps to make themselves as neat and tidy as possible, (hair up, boots clean, nicely fitted shirt, and a clean pony) without being asked. Shows me that they are serious about being there. Now for myself, in order to set a good example (and because having it down drives me bonkers) I put my hair up every ride.

THIS!!!

Im not a trainer but this is what I think should be a reference/guide... after all you are lesson-ing (working to showing...)

I forgot recently to put a fitted shirt on and had to tuck my loose t shirt in... lumpy - - but trainer wanted to see where my parts are... to correct things etc.

To me it shows you really care... like brushing your teeth, taking a shower, cleaning your house etc..... you don't have to, but you do if you care about yourself.. not necessarily how you appear to others, just showing yourself and your horse that you care. Clean tack, well groomed - - good weight horse etc.....

TalkIsCheap
May. 3, 2010, 06:09 PM
Look at it more of how you'd do your hair for your particular sport, not as a fashion statement.

Whether you play field hockey, softball, lacrosse, ice hockey or swim, you'd have to secure your hair in a certain style for safety, as well as to practice and compete effectively.

KateKat
May. 3, 2010, 07:12 PM
Ponytail is fine, I did it for awhile until I just cut it all off :)

I think if you look neat and tidy, it doesn't matter. What surprises me is when people just plunk the helmet on top of their head, no ponytail or anything (not including little kids, I'm talking teens/adults). Not only does it looks sloppy, it would drive me NUTS!!

EquitateIt
May. 3, 2010, 08:26 PM
I have two helmets, one for showing and one for schooling. They are different sizes (schooling is my old show helmet), so I always leave my hair in a pony tail for schooling. I ride at an "A" show barn and my hair is at least halfway down my back. We are required to have our hair out of our face, and most of us just put it in a ponytail.