PDA

View Full Version : Noise desensitization

ToTheNines
May. 2, 2010, 02:05 PM
My six year old is taking a while to get used to being at shows. Makes it even more difficult that he lives on my very quiet farm. In addition to taking him lots of places, I am considering a boom box at the barn. I ran across this ad for CD's:

http://www.spookless.com/productsandservices.html

Although a friend says I should get a TV and play cop shows.

Anyone tried this approach to noise desensitization?

What I would really like is a tape of things that creak, rattle, and cackle in the wind! Including a screechy PA system.

MsRidiculous
May. 2, 2010, 03:48 PM
I know that living next to an RV park and baseball diamond has been great for mine. It's rarely quiet out there, between people playing music, kids screaming, carnivals, baseball games, fireworks, the train, etc. Noises rarely rattle her anymore.

CHT
May. 2, 2010, 03:57 PM
I have a gelding who absolutely HATES the radio ads for the racetrack...with sounds of horses galloping up the homestretch!

I think your idea has merit. Perhaps the best approach would be to play the sounds when your horse is being fed.

Simbalism
May. 3, 2010, 12:22 AM
Halloween tapes/dvd's have lots of weird noises(banging, clanking,creaking). I think your idea has definite merit. I attended a "bombproofing" clinic in the past and they played a tape the whole time with everything from semitruck brakes to a riot with shouting and gunshots, dogs barking etc.