PDA

View Full Version : Help, I need ways to stop my horse from forging!

matastasiol
May. 2, 2010, 12:45 PM
Recently I started using a new farrier and my horses stride has become increasingly larger than it used to be and my horse looks awesome! But, the only problem is he is forging a lot and pulling shoes every few weeks, usually the right front. I know it is from forging because the shoe is bent on one side from the foot clipping it and pulling it loose and I have watched him pull them off. I have bell boots on him already and they seem to help a little, but I was wondering if anyone has an other ideas I haven't thought of that can help this problem! thanks !

Thomas_1
May. 2, 2010, 01:14 PM
Couple of reasons why the horse forges.

Either the toes are too long. Or else the horse is tired and unbalanced when it's trotting.

SquareOxer
May. 2, 2010, 01:20 PM
It's also possible that you are really letting him move super freely (since he feels so good). Try balancing him more and regulating his gait a bit and see if that helps any.

x
May. 2, 2010, 01:45 PM
Also, talk to your farrier--there may be a minor adjustment that they can make that will help your horse to stop doing this.

Madeline
May. 2, 2010, 02:24 PM
Also, talk to your farrier--there may be a minor adjustment that they can make that will help your horse to stop doing this.

I agree, tell your farrier. But if the horse is grabbing the shoe and pulling it off, that isn't forging, it's overreaching. Still a farrier problem, though.

Fitness often plays a role as well.

Bravestrom
May. 2, 2010, 03:03 PM
perhaps some dressage work with more balance on the back end will help - it totally solved it for us. But be careful - once you start you won't go back to h/j. lol

Tegan
May. 2, 2010, 03:26 PM
It is probably because of the new farrier. My old farrier used to always put trailers on my horse's back shoes and he would forge like crazy.

New farrier said he doesn't need them at all and just put regular shoes on him. Problem solved.

Your farrier can slightly alter the shoe placement to help with forging.

Going Bananas
May. 2, 2010, 11:01 PM
On the back feet have your Farrier leave the heals high. then slide the shoes back about 1/4" and square off the toe. put trailers on the outside about 3/4" long.
On the front you can have him bevel the heals on the top so that if a back shoe clips the front it will not have a chance to grab as much.
keep bellboots on him. ;-)

copper1
May. 3, 2010, 07:46 AM
Farrier, if he is any good, can help. Talk to him and ahve him watch the horse move. I have a horse that does this sometimes when I ride. He is a big mover and if I let our rhythm get too quick, he will start forging. I need to slow my brain a bit and slow his hindquarters a bit and no more forging. It is easy to get carried away on a big trotting horse!

shedllybip
May. 3, 2010, 07:46 AM
in the ring quick fix - spray a silicone on the back of his front shoes and the front of his back shoes. you shouldn't notice the sound as much in the show ring

HuntJumpSC
May. 3, 2010, 08:34 AM
I had a TB gelding who would do this. My farrier did trailors on the hind feet, along with a squared, slightly rolled toe and he did just fine.