PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Video With a Happy Ending

tidy rabbit
May. 2, 2010, 10:33 AM
This is just silly at the end. The roll top jump is pretty cute though. :)

Next weekend is his first horse show. Hopefully we wont get rained out! We'll be doing the 2'6" Hunters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B63wh8m3gdo

Mrsmph
May. 2, 2010, 10:39 AM
he's adorable!!!

Gry2Yng
May. 2, 2010, 10:40 AM
Roll top looks FABULOUS! Love the snack at the end. Super horse.

scribbles
May. 2, 2010, 10:44 AM
superstar! :)

Linny
May. 2, 2010, 11:02 AM
Count me in as part of the Dodger fan club. Adorable horsey.

tidy rabbit
May. 2, 2010, 11:20 AM
Love the snack at the end.

He's not one to ever miss a meal. He's a good eater. LOL

Dakotawyatt
May. 2, 2010, 11:55 AM
So adorable! You do such an amazing job with your horses:yes:

PNWjumper
May. 2, 2010, 12:00 PM
He looks great, TR! I have to admit that my favorite part is the last few seconds. I can't let Socks see it or she'll never let me live down the fact that there's no accessible food around my arena :lol:

Hunter Mom
May. 2, 2010, 01:12 PM
I thought he deserved a snack after that good roll top.

Tha Ridge
May. 2, 2010, 02:23 PM
Your horses always look so happy and well-schooled, TR! He's great. :yes:

tidy rabbit
May. 2, 2010, 03:06 PM
I think he needs a stuff animal modeled after him. He's so fat and cute and cuddly.

blackcat95
May. 2, 2010, 04:10 PM
he's adorable!!! please please please post videos of the show!

Green Acres
May. 2, 2010, 05:38 PM
he's adorable!!! please please please post videos of the show!

I second that!!!:yes:

TR - I love watching video's of your beautiful horses!!! Dodger looked really cute over the rolltop!!!

3DogNight
May. 2, 2010, 07:22 PM
Love that boy :D

mybeau
May. 2, 2010, 07:35 PM
I love watching you go with your horses! Yay! :) Can't wait for mine to grow up a little bit so I can start her! Good luck at your horse show! :)

onthebit
May. 3, 2010, 08:41 AM
The snack at the end made the whole course, too cute!

RxCate
May. 3, 2010, 10:59 AM
Here ya go :)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/RxCate/TidyDodger.jpg

I'll mess with it more on my Mac when I get home tonight -
I love watching your videos, wish you were closer to me, I'd send my mare to you!

tidy rabbit
May. 3, 2010, 11:11 AM
TidyDodger! How cute is that?!!! You'll have to email me the picture when you've worked on it some. :)

I'm going to paint the roll top this week. It used to have red outdoor carpeting on it.

I think I'm going to paint "Stoneybrook Farm" on it in bubble letters and add 70s hippie type big flowers all over it. That ought to be cute!

Equino
May. 3, 2010, 12:27 PM
LOVE. Very nice horse with such a great attitude!

LH
May. 3, 2010, 12:37 PM
Cuteness! and I think it's nice to let a youngster have a snack when he's being good.

BUT, can I give you constructive comments? I would LOVE to see you get out of the horse's mouth - you are balancing on your hands - let GO of the reins a little by pushing your hands forward and LET the horse stretch his neck out and down - even before the jump - let him use his back. You are holding his head up and he hollows out at every jump, even at the cavelettis. As my trainer says, "let him put his nose on it" - when they do that, they use their back and neck even at the small jumps.

You're already riding this one too jumpery, and he will learn how to use himself better if you LET GO, even if the distance is tight, let the horse figure out how to back himself up - will make him a waaayyy better horse later, regardless of what ring he goes in!

sansibar
May. 3, 2010, 12:53 PM
Aww so nice!

I love the ending! :)

Mac123
May. 3, 2010, 01:21 PM
Cuteness! and I think it's nice to let a youngster have a snack when he's being good.

BUT, can I give you constructive comments? I would LOVE to see you get out of the horse's mouth - you are balancing on your hands - let GO of the reins a little by pushing your hands forward and LET the horse stretch his neck out and down - even before the jump - let him use his back. You are holding his head up and he hollows out at every jump, even at the cavelettis. As my trainer says, "let him put his nose on it" - when they do that, they use their back and neck even at the small jumps.

You're already riding this one too jumpery, and he will learn how to use himself better if you LET GO, even if the distance is tight, let the horse figure out how to back himself up - will make him a waaayyy better horse later, regardless of what ring he goes in!

Really? She had a loop in her rein quite frequently. (:25-30 in particular).

I never want to see a young horse completely abandoned. I don't say this often, but I thought TR did a nice job of supporting a young horse with the leg and hand without overdoing it or dropping him on his face.

There's a difference between hanging on a horse's mouth and pulling him in (which she is not doing, as evidenced by the slight loop in the rein and the long neck) and supporting him with consistent, soft contact.

Dropping a young horse completely is what I call the "Jesus Take the Wheel" school of riding and is completely contradictory to consciously improving a horse through proper flatwork and jump schooling. It also leaves everything to chance and luck.

You would hate the way I ride a young horse because (depending on how old they are, I don't remember how old Dodger is) I actually would seek to have a bit more connection and throughness than Tidy has here...and this actually encourages a rounder jump.

Contact is not bad, providing it is soft and forgiving!!!

ETA: the fact that he's not jumping 100% round or telescoping his neck on takeoff is resulting from a lack of flatwork and development (which is completely normal for his age, training level, and height of fence!!!). A youngster jumping small fences won't use him self completely because the fence is not big enough to require it and the flatwork foundation (the 'bascule of frame') is not yet there to be present over fences. Some horses don't jump a 10 from the start, and I have no doubt that he will improve by leaps and bounds as his age and training grows! Can't wait to see him in a year!

tidy rabbit
May. 3, 2010, 01:34 PM
Hi Mac123! :)
He is turning 4 this week. Happy Birthday Dodger!

I think this was probably his 6th or 7th time doing course work including the 2 horse shows he went to last year. Mostly we just do poles on the ground or gymnastic exercises.

I can see your point of view LH. Thanks for taking the time to write it out. Your right in that he wants to hollow his back and we work on that in our flatwork. He's just really learning how to lift his back and go more round and through on the flat.

It's a real balancing act to bring a young horse along. I don't expect him to be able to carry himself like a more mature horse, he'll get there in time. By the end of the summer I fully expect he'll look like a different horse.

Mac123
May. 3, 2010, 01:37 PM
Happy Birthday Dodger!!

I think he looks right on target for just turning 4.

You've done a good job!

LH
May. 3, 2010, 03:44 PM
Hi Mac123! :)

I can see your point of view LH. Thanks for taking the time to write it out. Your right in that he wants to hollow his back and we work on that in our flatwork. He's just really learning how to lift his back and go more round and through on the flat.

It will come! And I totally believe in the flatwork and jumping coming along together - don't have to wait until the horse does level 2 dressage to go out and do courses - your horse obviously likes to jump and finds it interesting! I've done a lot of greenies, and some have a mouth where they don't "take" you in a way that allows you to push them up in a frame - that's okay, you just need to adjust your ride - just think for now about letting his neck get long and stretchy out in front of you, and enourage him to drop his head when you can - it's a little tough if the greenie gets wiggly at the show and you have to steer more - ride off your lower leg before you do too much steering, but you ride well enough to know how to try to get it done - have fun!

doublesstable
May. 3, 2010, 04:29 PM
First let me say you and your horse are awesome... he is really cute. I like how consitent he is... expecially for a 4 year old. You have done a great job with him... really... it's not easy to do. You have great equitation and dont think you look like a jumper rider... but if you don't mind I have a few tweeks/suggestions.....

Your third fence.. the xrail was PERFECT - you used your hands on the horses neck for balance which is fine.... The other jumps if you pause you video over the jump you are ahead of your horse over the jump and you don't need to break over "at all"... stay sitting up like in your third fence.

I also see a bit of me in you... "knees" are pinching a bit.. very slight.. but if you can drop a bit more weight in your heels and wrap your calf around the horse (hold a bit keeping your leg from swingin) you would be more stable over the fence and not jump ahead or need to break over. If you have horse hair on your chest, you are breaking over.....

Teach this horse at a young age to accept you calf. It's so much easier to ride a horse that accepts that leg...

Also, he is a bit like one of my horses that lifts the head in the corners and shortens the stride. Shows have a 12 stride so to make it down a line he needs to get is stride opened up in the corners.....

And I laughed at the happy ending.. sooooo cute....

tidy rabbit
May. 3, 2010, 05:08 PM
Interesting observations doublestable. Thanks for the feedback.

I was doing the add of 5 that time through the cavaletti which is set at 60'. To get the 4 at a height of 18 inches is a GALLOP, we'd just done it the time before. I was alternating between the 4 and the 5 strides.

Since I was planning to take the roll top this time, I wanted to make sure he was on a shorter stride so that I had good control of him all the way there.

I was pressing into his neck for a short release. I wasn't balancing off of it; but clearly to a few of you watching, it looked that way. I'll keep that in mind.

I love the short release for tight gymnastics designed to make the horse jump round. Just practicing my short release there. I have to practice a lot.

Always fun to talk about videos.

doublesstable
May. 3, 2010, 09:38 PM
Interesting observations doublestable. Thanks for the feedback.

I was pressing into his neck for a short release. I wasn't balancing off of it; but clearly to a few of you watching, it looked that way. I'll keep that in mind.

If you watch your jump, your lower leg slips back and is loose. If you keep a tighter lower leg you it will help a great deal.. Ask me how I know... :lol:;)

Short releases are good; but if your base (lower leg goes back) it's really difficult....

Sorry if you weren't looking for feedback.. Didn't mean to get all - "know it all" on you, I just see a really nice rider and horse and thought some tweeks would really help out.... :)

Always fun to talk about videos.

Videos are great. I do want to know one thing; who do you find to make these videos for you? I would even be willing to hire someone :lol: thought about opening a business at some top barns offering videos of lessons..... I wonder if that would fly??

Videos are great to see what's going on.....

RxCate
May. 4, 2010, 08:14 AM
Here's you're Tidy Dodger picture :

Nothing fancy, just my little tweak on my mac :)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/RxCate/TidyDodger-1.jpg

tidy rabbit
May. 4, 2010, 10:31 AM
doublesstable,

thanks for the tips. I've got a lot to work on with my riding, that's for sure!

My husband does my videos. Since I ride alone all the time I beg him to video so I can see how the horses look, etc.

I don't know that I would pay anyone to video for me outside of a horse show, but if I were at a busy lesson barn and someone were offering for a nominal fee I would probably take them up on it.

RxCate,
Thanks for the picture! Pretty good work off of a youtube video!

Midge
May. 4, 2010, 07:13 PM
Note to self:

Never ever ever ever ever post a video...

TR, he looks just right for four. What a cutie patootie! Let us know how the horse show goes.

tidy rabbit
May. 4, 2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks Midge! I am very happy with how he's coming along. He's so brave and easy going. Hopefully a friend will video the show. Maybe I'll even braid him up and make him look the part.

doublesstable
May. 4, 2010, 07:33 PM
Note to self:

Never ever ever ever ever post a video...

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone... I hope you didn't take it that way?

Midge
May. 4, 2010, 08:00 PM
I wasn't offended at all but the critiques assume a lot about exactly where a just starting out four year old should be. I don't think she balances on her hands. He did hollow at number two, where she steadied some, but he's four. He's jumping tiny jumps. After he jumps 70 courses, or 700, he'll have learned to rock back rather than hollow. Same as at four, although more because he got behind her leg than because of her hands but he's four. That's going to happen. And to somehow assume he doesn't accept her leg because it isn't perfectly still against his side?

As far as the horse show strides being 12', he's jumping two foot jumps and he's four. Mine, who is almost six and almost ready to start in the pre greens, spent almost a year doing the adds, while he learned how to Not Hollow and not get behind my leg...oh, wait. That implies he no longer does those things. :rolleyes:

tidy rabbit
May. 5, 2010, 09:40 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone... I hope you didn't take it that way?

I certainly wasn't offended. I have a ton of faults as a rider and I'm fairly well aware of them.

Some I can fix and some are just my style of riding. Often times I'll ask for a critique, this time I didn't, just wanted to share a goofy video of my silly boy.

I don't mind that you critiqued the ride, you made valid points.

Everyone sees things differently and I'm always happy to consider how to improve my riding or my horse's way of going.