PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown Stable Outfitters??

Glorybee
May. 1, 2010, 07:13 PM
Has anyone heard of this company? They make tack trunks and other equipment for the barn. They have a bit box that I love!!! That being said, I haven't seen any of their stuff at the barns I have been to. Are they new? Been around for a while? I know they are based out of CT. I was linked to their page through FB and a "friend".

Not sure if this was the right place to post this thread....

Roo7
May. 2, 2010, 11:04 AM
Yes--they make great stuff! I've seen some of it at the shows. Very solid. My wish-list is their travel trunk. Totally different look, but makes a lot of sense for hauling stuff around. I think they make a bit box in the travel style, too. Lightweight plastic, but much better looking than the other plastic garbage can looking stuff that's out there. Maybe check out their web site for more info??

Lucassb
May. 2, 2010, 11:46 AM
Personally, I am not a fan.

They built the tack lockers at my previous barn. While the construction quality was nice, (the woman who did the work used to fit out sailboats) it was clear they didn't really understand much about tack.

For example, our lockers were supposed to have a saddle rack on one side, with shelving on the other. The space for the saddle rack was so narrow, the only way you could fit the saddle on it was to kind of roll the flaps. (They did fix that problem when it was pointed out to them, but the "correction" meant that the wall that otherwise held up shelves on the other side had to be cut away, resulting in quite a bit of useless space.)

The only place you could fit a standard grooming box was on the floor of the locker, and the shelves were narrow/deep - so in order to get to your stuff, you either had to pull out everything in front of what you wanted, or purchase baskets to put on the shelves so you could pull everything out at once. And although the shelves were adjustable, the only way you could have a shelf tall enough to put, say, a bottle of fly spray, was to pretty much remove most of the shelving entirely.

I also didn't like that there wasn't really anywhere convenient to put normal stuff, like an extra pad, scrim or cooler, other than a single shelf across the top. Since our lockers were quite tall, that meant you'd need a step ladder to reach that shelf for someone my height (5'4" or so.)

There was also no thought given to proper ventilation of the lockers, just a small coffee cup sized "vent" which frankly wasn't enough to prevent ickies when it was hot/humid during the summer. And no, we sure didn't keep our pads in there (something the BO hadn't thought about, apparently, or maybe she just wanted to make sure we used her $$$ laundry service ?)

The horse clothing that they offer IS very pretty to look at. Although people who know me will vouch for the fact that I am quick to splurge on pretty things for my horsies, even *I* cannot justify buying a SILK cooler. I have enough problems keeping the regular ones clean.

I did see their new tack trunks recently but didn't care for the design. They look like steamer trunks, but at a significantly higher price point. Not my cup of tea, I guess.

By George!
May. 2, 2010, 02:13 PM
I agree with Lucassb. They don't really understand the needs of horse people and our stuff, especially the needs of traveling horse people. If you know exactly what you want, and I mean exactly, down to the last centimeter, they can probably make it for you. The workmanship can be great, but the practicality for equestrian stuff often isn't there. For example, in looking at their regular tack trunks, I'm not sure you can fit a saddle in there.

Glorybee
May. 2, 2010, 06:56 PM
I've never been a fan of lockers for the very reason that I NEVER have enough room, and have never kept my saddle in my trunk for the very same reason. Perhaps I need to down size. Haven't seen the GSO stuff in person, and probably shouldn't be spending extra $$$ any way! My husband works with a company (non horse related) that makes the travel trunks for musicians I think. He couldn't understand why I would want a wood trunk and not something that could hold up to travel and kicks etc... Guess I'm just a hunter snob!! I like pretty stuff!

Lucassb
May. 2, 2010, 07:23 PM
If you want pretty stuff... you can't beat McGuinn's or Oakcroft Premier.

Roo7
May. 2, 2010, 11:15 PM
Oakcroft is ok, but average. McGuinn is now made with staples. Up to you if you want to drop a fortune on trunks made of plywood that are hung together with staples.

Roo7
May. 2, 2010, 11:39 PM
In reading the long reply above about the lockers, I would invite readers to keep in mind that there are many considerations that go into the design of items--budget, constraints of the existing space, construction that's already in place, customer/client needs and limitations, etc.
You should see the lockers at my barn--no shelves, no ventilation, small, and tons of wasted space. I'd love to have a nice tall locker with shelves for small things, and a rack for my saddle!

Sometimes, I think all of us horse people really need to wake up and have a dose of gratitude, rather than looking to shoot holes in everyone else's deal. How about being happy to have a nice horse to ride, or the ability to take lessons, or be able to ride at all? How lucky are we!! And if there's any kind of nice locker for storing our things--well, that's icing on the cake.

And as far as the other comment is concerned, about the trunks not being able to hold a saddle?? One of my friends has a GSO trunk, and it fits all of her things very nicely. I would think it would be smart to be educated about things before making comments based on thin air.

Horsegurlmercury
May. 2, 2010, 11:43 PM
I love my McGuinn tack trunk! Ordered it in one call over the phone and it arrived just as I wanted (right colors, size, monogram, everything) within 3 weeks. Can't get much better than that. It is definitely not plywood nor is it "hung together with staples". Roo, you might want to check your sources before badmouthing a legitimate company. Some of the Georgetown products look nice, but overly expensive.

Lucassb
May. 3, 2010, 12:03 AM
I love my McGuinn tack trunk! Ordered it in one call over the phone and it arrived just as I wanted (right colors, size, monogram, everything) within 3 weeks. Can't get much better than that. It is definitely not plywood nor is it "hung together with staples". Roo, you might want to check your sources before badmouthing a legitimate company. Some of the Georgetown products look nice, but overly expensive.

I love my McGuinn trunk too... it is beautifully made and has held up well despite heavy use. I also have an Oakcroft Premier trunk that is beautiful, and it's my "daily use" trunk at the barn, no complaints at all about function or durability; it's held up great. Also have the matching bit and wall boxes, love them too.

FWIW, the rep that sold the lockers at my old barn had a horse named Roo...

mvp
May. 3, 2010, 10:25 AM
Oakcroft is ok, but average. McGuinn is now made with staples. Up to you if you want to drop a fortune on trunks made of plywood that are hung together with staples.

What's wrong with the kids of today ?! Seriously, I don't know whether quality is slipping in either of these companies because my Warner's-cum-Phoenix West trunks are going strong. For those of you who know tack trunk history, that means at least one of them is damned old.

I love my McGuinn trunk too... it is beautifully made and has held up well despite heavy use. I also have an Oakcroft Premier trunk that is beautiful, and it's my "daily use" trunk at the barn, no complaints at all about function or durability; it's held up great. Also have the matching bit and wall boxes, love them too.

I don't think this thread or Lucassb's remarks were out-of-line disparaging. Someone asked for an eye-witness opinion and got it. A tack trunk is a large investment. Its materials and design should absolutely stand the test of time. Since barns (and sometimes whacky individuals like me) create custom designs that they'll order in various forms again and again, they are choosing a company for the long haul. They should chose carefully with lots of info in hand!

Roo7
May. 3, 2010, 12:53 PM
To all above--I'm not disparaging McGuinn. They are, and have been, the standard for a long time, especially in hunterland. The colors are lovely, the look is great, and they've been doing it since 1945. Agreed. But if you examine the construction of the new pieces on the sides, you will see what I"m talking about.

And plywood construction is plywood--it will never hang together the way solid wood does. But it saves weight and money.

If some items appear to be more expensive, there is probably a reason for it if you really examine the book beneath the cover. Look at hardware, joinery, materials. In some cases, it is better to pay more, and pay once, than pay less 6 times over, especially in this economy.
That's all I'm saying on this.

It's a big world, to each his own, and have a party. That's the nice thing about living here--we have a lot of choices, thank goodness. One style is not for everyone, nor should it be. That would be boring. Everyone has different criteria they look for. Some folks want practical, and don't care about appearance. Others like aesthetics, and something has to look pretty for them to enjoy it. Why not? It's our personal prerogative.

Happy riding, everyone, and enjoy your trunks, whichever brand you choose!

AlternaPony
May. 3, 2010, 01:24 PM
I personally have always gone with a smaller company. That way, you get exactly custom to your specs and sizing, etc. Plus you can get a quote based upon type of wood, etc. I know the company I used once drove halfway to CT to meet the client, who had ordered a number of trunks from them. Granted, I think you would only order if you were on the East Coast, unless you wanted to pay for shipping (which would probably eat up your savings from using a smaller company) but the product is definitely worth it. Happy to pass on info to anyone asking!

I'm sure the big companies are great, and I've seen lots of pretty things from each of the companies mentioned, but for my money, I'd rather get something totally custom than pay a lot for plywood that is stained to look like cherry or something like that.....just my humble opinion!

Glorybee
May. 3, 2010, 05:07 PM
Just looking for opinions here - each is entitled to her own. I think there are many options out there, but when it comes to custom barn storage, I haven't much experience. I couldn't tell you who built my trunk. There is a new tack shop in New Milford, Ct ( can't remember the name) and I think the owner's husband builds trunks and what not as well. I also saw a medicine chest at a Westchester barn that I thought was the greatest thing ever! If I had the money I'd buy it all!

Regardless, welcome to COTH Roo - you'll fit right in here!;)

By George!
May. 3, 2010, 05:34 PM
Wow, Roo. It seemed like you might have an axe to grind or something, so I checked your public profile. Imagine my surprise when I clicked on the web site you have listed and ended up at the site for Georgetown Stable Outfitters.

I'm not sure that publicly disparaging your competitors is the way to gain more business. I also didn't understand why you'd say to potential customers, "Sometimes, I think all of us horse people really need to wake up and have a dose of gratitude..."

You probably have a lot of great stuff to say about your products, so I'm not sure why all the negativity.

Roo7
May. 4, 2010, 06:58 AM
Sorry, By George. Don't mean to be negative. It's just that I put a lot of heart and soul into my business. And I tend to get upset when people think things are overpriced. To them, I invite them to check out the cost of the materials and labor and see for themselves just what goes into creating each and every piece we make. But I'm not meaning to advertise or anything here, which is not allowed. Just want to get a feel of people's opinions. I'm not shooting anyone down--just inviting them to open their eyes and consider the larger picture beyond a price tag, or a custom job that they have no idea about , ie, "behind the scenes." Things like product longevity, service, type of construction, quality of hardware, ability to have things exactly as you want them--that all goes into our things. And if we don't think we can do something better than what's around--or at least as well, then we don't bother making it.

That's all....just a simple person, looking for insights, not a fight. Bottom line is that we're not for everyone, and everyone isn't for us. I'm fine with that. It's a big world out there, and it's nice to have a choice.

Equino
May. 5, 2010, 09:11 PM
Out of curiosity I browed the site and have to say I am IN LOVE with the traveling medicine box! That most certainly would've come in handy at the barn I used to work for when packing the med trunk...I couldn't move it myself at all! Yes, the prices are higher than what I'm used to, but you do pay for quality. I saved the page...hopefully I can be a customer in the future!

My husband works with a company (non horse related) that makes the travel trunks for musicians I think. He couldn't understand why I would want a wood trunk and not something that could hold up to travel and kicks etc... Guess I'm just a hunter snob!! I like pretty stuff!
I agree with you here. I always wondered why show barns insisted on their heavy yet fashionable show trunks that can only be moved with a dolly and two very strong people once packed. I HATED packing for shows for this reason!

STA
May. 12, 2010, 02:38 PM
I have just returned from Old Salem Horse Show, with the rain I had some time to browse the retail booths. GSO was one of the places I took sometime to look at their products. I found them to be very well made and practical. Some were very fancy solid wood and some were made of strong material that looks as if it would last. They also give a limited time guarantee on the travel trunks. I have ridden with several show stables and bought the trunks with the various stable colors - very nice, very heavy. If I had my way, I would have the fancy stable color trunks for display and the travel trunks for the real work. My saddle always had to be jammed into the fancy trunks - my saddle would fit into the travel trunk from GSO easily. I was told if it didn't fit, the trunk could be sized to my specifications.

Roo7 just sounded to me as someone stating a description and comparison of her products, some of those other posters sounded a little vengeful. Can't we all just get along? All you have to do is look at both and decide for yourself. Personally, I would rather have lighter weight and wheels.

STA
May. 12, 2010, 02:45 PM
By the Way, Glorybee, I saw the bit box and loved it also.

Glorybee
May. 12, 2010, 07:51 PM
I forgot they could potentially be at OSF - will have to get down there (when it stops raining) to check out some of the other stuff they have. I need something to hold blankets... not heavy/not fancy but something that I can store all of my blankets in. Right now they are squished in separate ridiculous plastic totes. A travel trunk might be the way to go.

STA
May. 13, 2010, 08:43 AM
Glorybee, the reason you stated for going to OSF to look at the travel trunks is exactly the reason I like them so much. From my understanding, they can make the trunks to the size YOU need without additional expense within reason, and customize the interior for special uses. The material they are made of is good enough for musicians to ship their instruments, I think it will protect your blankets.

STA
May. 16, 2010, 08:02 AM
Glorybee, were you able to go to Old Salem? The weather was beautiful yesterday.