PDA

View Full Version : Yonaguska/Cherokee Run

EAY
May. 1, 2010, 02:12 PM
Along the same lines as a couple of other recent threads, does anyone have experience with these lines for hunters or jumpers? I've heard that Cherokee Runs can be difficult.

Equilibrium
May. 2, 2010, 01:35 AM
I use to get on Yonaguska and he was a lovely boy. I guess he could have been difficult as you needed to be quiet with him and give he lots of pats and make a fuss of him. But nothing stands out as really difficult or quirky.

I didn't get on that many CR's so can't make a sound judgement based on one horse. Yonaguska was one of my favorites though.

Terri

judybigredpony
May. 2, 2010, 07:09 AM
Had a Yongaguska filly really beautiful mover and jump talent was exceptional.
Unfortunately she was 9 cents short a time under tack...and a flipper.
apparently reason she was no racing her behavior in saddling paddock not stellar and after a year of let down it didn't improve :(

HeyJealousy
May. 2, 2010, 10:16 PM
Cherokee Runs can go either way. My absolute favorite horse that I worked with on the track was a Cherokee Run gelding who was very sensitive but the sweetest boy in the world. You had to sweet talk him but he would do anything you asked, as long as you asked politely and in a way he could understand. On the other hand, I've worked with several who were much more difficult and always wanted to fight. They have big hearts, though.

vbunny
May. 3, 2010, 06:42 PM
I rode a CR, loved him. Great jump, lovely mover, lovely attitude. The Yonaguskas I have know have been talented but tough to deal with, as in you need to be pretty delicate and tactful. Also, some have had minor stifle issues, not sure if that's a thing or just the few we had. I have dibs on a CR when he retire right now :).